1996 Helms manual issue. - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Upon reassembling my 1996 GSR head I needed to know which "rocker shaft orifice" went where because they are different shapes (as the manual diagram shows). I want you guys to look at this page and tell me if you see something wrong (look by the blue "star" I drew in pen ink). It has to do with the head's position and the orifice labeling. The picture tells you one story, while the text tells you the opposite:

To iron this issue out I drove down to the Acura dealer and talked to the "master tech". After first trying to tell me that the side of the head with studs was the exhaust side (completely wrong, but I couldn't convince him otherwise) we came to the agreement that the TEXT was correct, the "stepped" orifice goes on the exhaust side. However the PICTURE was incorrect.

As anyone else had this issue before? Or could anyone verify that the stepped orifice does in fact go on the exhaust side?

Thanks again TI. Hopefully this helps anyone in the future
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 11:47 AM

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I'm pretty sure what's wrong with the picture is the existence of the studs. Everything else about the design of the head looks right though. Check it out:

Red circle is for the power steering pump, blue is that cap someone recently posted about that's under the distributor on the intake side. So it seems as though where the studs are is meant to be the exhaust side (at the very least 94-97 LSs had all studs on the exhaust side, not sure about other years/GSRs).

MY FS THREAD!! (updated 6/3/12) I also have some brand new J's Racing and Mugen parts (shift knobs, oil/radiator caps, wheel nuts, etc.), PM me for more info.

My sedan running log! (updated 6/29/12)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 11:54 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
why were they taken out?

i would follow the text. they put it there for a reason..

94 DB8 - Daily Driven OmniPower - Kei Office - Skunk2 - Tokico - RLZ Engineering - ASR before you know, you hondoogle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBlookie on Dec/09/10
I'm pretty sure what's wrong with the picture is the existence of the studs. Everything else about the design of the head looks right though. Check it out:

Red circle is for the power steering pump, blue is that cap someone recently posted about that's under the distributor on the intake side. So it seems as though where the studs are is meant to be the exhaust side (at the very least 94-97 LSs had all studs on the exhaust side, not sure about other years/GSRs).
Very true. And good eye on the P/S pump mounts. I got it figured out now. Would be a nice heads up for people in the future though
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

This is what the tech at the dealer tried to tell me. But both LS's I have owned (both were completely stock) and this 97 GSR head (that is completely stock) DO NOT have the studs on the exhaust side, only on the intake.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nskforlife on Dec/09/10
why were they taken out?

sure... but they put pictures there for a reason too... yet they don't match...

AfGhAnInTeGrA: i can smell
AfGhAnInTeGrA: but like not what ppl expect out of a nose like this

dspsolo2: yes vulgarity came out, vulgarity is justified in times of ignorance.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickwithastick on Dec/09/10
Quote: nskforlife on Dec/09/10why were they taken out?

sure... but they put pictures there for a reason too... yet they don't match...

Precisely why I went down to the dealer heh. I still want to see an OEM Integra head that has studs on the exhaust like the intake side.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 01:57 PM

FWIW, my '96 LS engine had all studs on the exhaust side...what years were your cars/engines?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I owned a white 1996 LS (the one I wrecked if you remember, hence my username). It did not have the studs on the exhaust. My 97 LS (what I have currently) does not have them either. Also my friend has a black 96 LS, it does not have the studs either.

Green Teg:

Old white teg:

Out of the three cars I specified, all of them had studs on the intake side but not the exhaust.

And here is the current VTEC head, which also has the studs on the intake side (meaning none on the exhaust):

Now I realize all of these heads have the two outer studs for alignment purposes. That is not what I am referring to. When I say a side of the head is "studded" I mean more than the two outer studs.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 02:41 PM

^^ I was actually gonna mention the two outers too, but I figured by studded you meant all studs.

That's really weird, then, that my old engine had all studs, yet your 96 did not. It was the original engine to the car, OBD2 and all, and I distinctly remembered the studs because when I made the swap to my JDM ITR engine, I had to scramble to find 7 bolts that fit for the header.

The only thing I can think of is maybe 94s, 95s, and early production 96s had the studs, then they did away with them after that. My car was assembled I believe September or November of 95.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thats true. It may have been a thing that got switch when OBD versions switched. Hmm.. Interesting none the less.

Well I guess dis-regard my OP ha. The power steering threaded bosses was a dead give away, I just missed it until you pointed it out.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 04:17 PM

heh I guess this thread has now brought up a separate mystery...exhaust manifold studs or no? I guess someone can go through the post engine bay pics thread and see if it's pre-96s that had full studs
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 01:09 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
my 94 gsr had all stds...

(lol was too funny to spellcheck...)
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 11:10 AM

So I just went through the first 8 pages of the Post Pics of Engine Bays thread, and it seems as though all 95 and earlier LS and GSR engines have full studs, as do some 96s (again, I think it must be earlier production 96s). AcuraOemParts.com confirms this, but says that 96s only have the two-stud setup.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page