B18b1 Turbo Build Bore - Page 2 - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 03:53 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I had a thought regarding the turbo build. I’m looking into camshafts right now and I have people telling me to drop the new cams in while I have the motor open and I have people telling me to wait and pick my cams when I’m ready to I install my turbo. I even know mechanics who are telling me to install the cams now while I have it open. My question is can stage 2 turbo cams run efficiently on a NA setup before the turbo? Found only one person talk about this in one post and they said it would be fine. Just wanted the opinion of others. Not looking to add power while NA, but I just wanna know, would it be alright?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 12:12 PM

If you plan to run bigger cams without going to a dyno, you will not damage anything, but will lose power. Of course, it makes sense to put the cams in while the engine is open to save the time later.

By the way, I run OEM GSR cams in mine and never considered replacing them. Still made good power.

My Build
404whp
[email protected]
Best 60' - 1.729
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built_not_bought View Post
If you plan to run bigger cams without going to a dyno, you will not damage anything, but will lose power. Of course, it makes sense to put the cams in while the engine is open to save the time later.

By the way, I run OEM GSR cams in mine and never considered replacing them. Still made good power.
I wish those were an option for me. I’m running non-vtec lol I’m gonna try to go for a mild cam anyways so driveability should be just fine. Also, will I lose power? Or will it just be moved higher in the powerband?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 11:36 AM

Your idling would be rougher.. While the powerband would move up the RPM range with a proper adjustment of timing and fuel, w/o tuning you will likely experience a loss of power across the board after increasing the cam duration. But since your going with a stage 2 cam, the loss shall be minimal as compared to more aggressive camshafts.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 12:33 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Yes might as well get cams and put them in. I run Crower 404 with Rocket Motorsports valve springs. Also running a Victor X intake manifold. My car is an LS-Turbo as well.

Have you made any decisions on injectors, fuel pump, going E85?

For putting the cams while the engine is out is to easily degree the cams for best results. They can adjust it accordingly. Iím running aggressive cams and it idles like a muscle car sometimes. Lol.
Built_not_bought likes this.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built_not_bought View Post
Your idling would be rougher.. While the powerband would move up the RPM range with a proper adjustment of timing and fuel, w/o tuning you will likely experience a loss of power across the board after increasing the cam duration. But since your going with a stage 2 cam, the loss shall be minimal as compared to more aggressive camshafts.
As much as I don’t like the sound of “loss of power” I can suck it up as long as it’s not hurting the engine. I know these B-series can take a lot especially if built lol rough idle as what though? If it’s just choppy and loud then I can handle that. Not much different than my straight piped GT
Built_not_bought likes this.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvia View Post
Yes might as well get cams and put them in. I run Crower 404 with Rocket Motorsports valve springs. Also running a Victor X intake manifold. My car is an LS-Turbo as well.

Have you made any decisions on injectors, fuel pump, going E85?

For putting the cams while the engine is out is to easily degree the cams for best results. They can adjust it accordingly. I’m running aggressive cams and it idles like a muscle car sometimes. Lol.
Like I said just before, I’m no stranger to a loud idle with my straight piped GT lol but I just want to make sure it is not going to damage the motor. If I lose some power, then so be it. I just want the motor to be able to handle it and for it to not die haha did you run those cams before you boosted it? If so, how did they feel? And in terms of fuel delivery, I was thinking about keeping the injectors stock or just above stock for now. I’ve read that the base ecu can’t control larger injectors and I’m not ready to tune it yet. Any thoughts on that?
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 11:16 AM

If your boosting and want to get the most power. Your going to need injectors. Iím running 1000cc FIC injectors. It gives me room. Even when I was supercharged the RC 750 wasnít enough.

If you have a tuner he should know thatís important. You do not want to be on the dyno and having problems boosting because he canít tune the fuel delivery. And if your boosting please decide on a ECU management. Iím still running Chrome chipped ECU.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 11:18 AM

No need to keep paying them to add power when you get little parts here and there. I believe do it all right at once and save the headache.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
If your boosting and want to get the most power. Your going to need injectors. I’m running 1000cc FIC injectors. It gives me room. Even when I was supercharged the RC 750 wasn’t enough.

If you have a tuner he should know that’s important. You do not want to be on the dyno and having problems boosting because he can’t tune the fuel delivery. And if your boosting please decide on a ECU management. I’m still running Chrome chipped ECU.
Quote:
No need to keep paying them to add power when you get little parts here and there. I believe do it all right at once and save the headache.
I was looking at getting a hondata for the tune. Although I do know a guys who has an obd1 chrome chipped ecu he’s trying to sell me. Says it has a base map. I just wanna get the mechanical aspects built so I can break in the motor before boost. That’s why I’m asking about the cams on an NA setup lol Someone brought to my attention, though, that you may not need to tune too much if have a manual tranny compared to an automatic? He’s a little old fashion and admitted it might not be correct. I plan on tuning it anyways but I’d love to know if you have any insight on that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page