Rattling noise coming from distributor - Page 2 - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 09:04 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have the same noise on my 98 GSR as well. Had the timing belt and water pump done recently as well. My mechanic told me it could be the distributor bearings. Today I had him do a valve adjustment to see whether it was the cause and it isn't, only 3 valves need adjustment. So he told me to take both of my GSR (the other is a 97 GSR) into the shop and trade distributor and see if that fixes the problem. And yes it only happen on cold start ups about 1 minute after starting and goes away when the car is a bit warm. once I try this I will update whether it really is the distributor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 10:11 PM

I have same Problem with distributor making noiseon cold start up and going away as the car warms up...
ive been searching around and found you guys having same issue... the noise sounds EXACLY like in the video and it is loudest at the destributor... i kinda dissagree with exhaust manifold beeing cracked cause i kmow it would make different noise. and also dissagree that its normal. I almost convinced my self that i should go ahead and replace adistributor but when some of u guys said that it didnt help... i wonder now... If i find a problem ill try yo help..By the way i got 2000 LS with 106K and this noise problem
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Did anyone ever figure this out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 09:11 PM

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Wow I forgot about this thread. I apologize I missed the video when I suggested an exhaust leak. After watching it I do NOT think it is an exhaust leak, sorry about that. I have watched the video several times and even went out to my car and used a stethoscope with the metal probe off using the hollow tube with the funnel opening and you can hear the same clicking, which I expected to some degree. Now if you listen to the video, to me it sounds like the whole engine compartment is ready to blow up. Well maybe Iím exaggerating a little, but it does sound pretty darn loud everywhere. Loud like not unexpectedly considering the mic and the environment itís in. What Iím saying is considering how close you are holding the mic, more importantly in the end seconds; right just about on the distributor, the noise sounds normal especially relative to all the other noise going on. I could imagine that some distributors are louder or quieter than others, but I donít know that as fact. And generally speaking engine compartments and their respective parts do tend to get quieter as they warm up as mentioned earlier referring to the noise. But to me it sounds like a normal spinning firing connecting distributor with its rotor having a good time. Listen to the video again with headphone on. I think youíre good to go.

You get what you pay for.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks 1point8. Yeah I think I'm going to let this one go. The noise has been there for 2 years and I haven't had any problems. It's only bothered me because I've never heard a car sound like that. My sister has the same exact car as me (year, trim, color haha), and it sounds fine. It also bothered me that the sound was there after I replaced it with a brand new distributor. But maybe you're right-some distributors just sound like that. I put my ear up to it today and it sounded like it was spinning smoothly.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Im going to look into the bearing replacment as this issue reallly bothers me. The engine is so smooth minus this bs rattle when it's cold lol. I have several spare dizzys to play with

08' TSX
98' Integra LS Previously 283whp/300ft-lbs; Now 602whp/453ft-lbs, Non-Vtec E85. PB 12.7 @ 128mph

"His Noodly Appendage hath blessed the B-Series"
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningTeg on Aug/30/10
Im going to look into the bearing replacment as this issue reallly bothers me. The engine is so smooth minus this bs rattle when it's cold lol. I have several spare dizzys to play with
I'd be interested to see how you make out with this if you find time.
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah I just need to take one apart this weekend.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 12:47 PM

my car does this too...
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 04:23 AM

I had this same problem, then I was changing out my rotor, cap, wires, and plugs to attempt to remedy a misfiring problem I was having after overheating the motor in my '00 GS. I started the motor after just changing the wires and nothing else, and not only did the misfiring stop, the engine purred like I just bought it and the clicking in my dizzy went away!!! WTF!!! Hey, that's awesome in my book, I just hope it doesn't come back. Upon removing the old rotor, I noticed it was quite worn down, not sure if that caused the clicking, although everyone I talk to says it's due to an inherent problem with the dizzy shaft bearing..... so why doesn't it stop when people replace the shaft? I haven't looked at a Teg distrib shaft, but my only guess is that the bearing is attached to the intake cam? Very weird.....

Edit! Just so you guys know, the rattling noise came back... Seemingly louder than ever... So changing the wires won't help.

Last edited by GeminiChill; 08-09-2011 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Update
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 02:48 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
the bearing or bushing in the distributor housing is going.

I changed mine when the tbelt was being change. CHECK for RED dust in the cap!!!!
Mine also made noise on cold starts and disappeared after warmed up.
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

How can you get to it? Do you have to take the entire dizzy apart?
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningTeg on Oct/25/10
How can you get to it? Do you have to take the entire dizzy apart?
I kept a copy of this page for reference. He does refer to the bearing as a NOK BH388E 4.3 but it's not known if that's what you'd need. The company Nachi and CBR Bearing Company are two links I keep in the same folder but I haven't done much research into what's local because I have a spare dist.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 12:29 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0gd3V9QLhw

sounds just like yours...watch this video.

he shows you how to replace the housing while salvaging the ignitor and coil. notice the red dust

this guy has a lot of great honda videos... i'd subscribe to him

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in