Engine cuts out at 3500rpm and low power - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Josh044's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine cuts out at 3500rpm and low power

Hi, was trying to find some input on my 1990 rs. Here's the story, timing belt slipped, replaced all belts and water pump and put back in correct timing, started it up and now idles good sometimes when you press the throttle it hesitates and stumbles and rpms drop, when driving feels like it has no power and it cuts out and stumbles at around 3500 rpm and won't go any higher. Also now the tachometer is inop. The check engine light comes on about 15 seconds after you start it and let it idle, but I can't get a code from it because my ecu does not have a site glass with an led in it. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thank you
Josh044 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 09:28 AM
Senior Member
 
jjkz24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mechanicsburg, PA
Posts: 3,520
Garage
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
So, when you say your timing belt "slipped", was the engine running when this happened? Did it break? While driving?





770whp/500wtq @31psi E85


2013 Carlisle P&S 1st Place Acura Integra Class Winner
2011 Carlisle P&S 1st Place Acura Integra Class Winner

2010 Carlisle P&S 1st Place Acura Class Winner
2009 Carlisle P&S 2nd Place Acura Class Winner
2007 Tuner-Evolution 1st Place Acura Class Winner



Click Me: Check Out My Build Thread - From Stock to 770WHP
jjkz24 is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Josh044's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No it was one night after work, I walk out to the car to leave go to start it and turned over maybe twice then just sounded like the starter was free spinning, went across checking all different thing (spark,fuel, fuses and relays) then pulled valve cover and found belt was sorta loose and cams were way off.
Josh044 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 01:38 PM
Senior Member
 
jjkz24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mechanicsburg, PA
Posts: 3,520
Garage
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh044 View Post
No it was one night after work, I walk out to the car to leave go to start it and turned over maybe twice then just sounded like the starter was free spinning, went across checking all different thing (spark,fuel, fuses and relays) then pulled valve cover and found belt was sorta loose and cams were way off.
If the motor was spinning in any matter, running or attempting to start, you may have some bent valves. Our motors are an "interference" engine, where pistons WILL smack the valves if a timing belt breaks. A conpression test will verify this for sure.
jjkz24 is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Josh044's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yeah I kinda figured that just hadn't gotten to the compression test just yet because it idles good. I know the bent valves could cause the lack of power but would it cause it not to rev passed 3500rpm? Because it sounds just like the rev limiter is set at 3500rpm
Josh044 is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 03:46 PM
Senior Member
 
jjkz24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mechanicsburg, PA
Posts: 3,520
Garage
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh044 View Post
Yeah I kinda figured that just hadn't gotten to the compression test just yet because it idles good. I know the bent valves could cause the lack of power but would it cause it not to rev passed 3500rpm? Because it sounds just like the rev limiter is set at 3500rpm
With the MIL light on, and a mixture of no compression, very possibly.
jjkz24 is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Josh044's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well just did comp test and about 195psi across all 4 cylinders...
Josh044 is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 06:17 AM
Senior Member
 
jjkz24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mechanicsburg, PA
Posts: 3,520
Garage
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh044 View Post
Well just did comp test and about 195psi across all 4 cylinders...
Great, sounds like your motor is healthy.

Now pull codes.
jjkz24 is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Josh044's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
That's the problem I'm having, the thing is my ecu doesn't have an led light to get the blink codes. Any advise as to another way to pull them? Otherwise I might just try a distributor since my tach went out also.
Josh044 is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 06:53 AM
Senior Member
 
jjkz24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mechanicsburg, PA
Posts: 3,520
Garage
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh044 View Post
That's the problem I'm having, the thing is my ecu doesn't have an led light to get the blink codes. Any advise as to another way to pull them? Otherwise I might just try a distributor since my tach went out also.
What ECU do you have in the vehicle?
jjkz24 is offline  
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Josh044's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I don't really know, here is pictures of it again. I had just bought this car from a friend of a friend and only drove it for a week before the timing belt slipped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0873_1493747187433.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	74337   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0875_1493747215338.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	74345   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0874_1493747238948.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	74353  
Josh044 is offline  
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 02:39 PM
Senior Member
 
jjkz24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mechanicsburg, PA
Posts: 3,520
Garage
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh044 View Post
I don't really know, here is pictures of it again. I had just bought this car from a friend of a friend and only drove it for a week before the timing belt slipped.
That doesn't look like your ECU at all. Your ECU for a 90-91 Integra should be under the passenger side carpet, not the kick-panel that you have shown.
jjkz24 is offline  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Josh044's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'll have to check later then I'm at work now. But can I still pull codes if the eng light isn't on? Because it comes on about 10-15 seconds after you start the car but with key on engine off it's not on. Also wanted to note that when I did the compression test this morning and I was warming the engine for a minute the tach started working again.
Josh044 is offline  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 04:37 PM
Senior Member
 
jjkz24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mechanicsburg, PA
Posts: 3,520
Garage
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh044 View Post
I'll have to check later then I'm at work now. But can I still pull codes if the eng light isn't on? Because it comes on about 10-15 seconds after you start the car but with key on engine off it's not on. Also wanted to note that when I did the compression test this morning and I was warming the engine for a minute the tach started working again.
Your tach randomly working/not working is a sign of the ignition coil or your ignition control module, (or sometimes both) failing.
jjkz24 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome