Low Oil Pressure Warning Light flickering? - Page 2 - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2019, 11:14 AM

Garage
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciconf View Post
So you are ruling out oil pump because there is no solid red light?

There are two other threads on this gen2 with similar issues:
https://www.team-integra.net/forum/1...g-dimming.html
https://www.team-integra.net/forum/1...-flashing.html

Could it be ICU?
I don't believe you're understanding. Solid light or not, you have low oil pressure. The ONLY reason it's flickering is because the pressure is right around the threshold of it being completely on, or off.

The ignition control module does not control the sender unit.

***I would recommend removing the sending unit, and purchasing/renting an oil pressure gauge to read oil pressure. This will ultimately tell you what is going on with your oil pressure, instead of "guessing".***

770whp/500wtq @31psi E85

2013 Carlisle P&S 1st Place Acura Integra Class Winner
2011 Carlisle P&S 1st Place Acura Integra Class Winner

2010 Carlisle P&S 1st Place Acura Class Winner
2009 Carlisle P&S 2nd Place Acura Class Winner
2007 Tuner-Evolution 1st Place Acura Class Winner

Click Me: Check Out My Build Thread - From Stock to 770WHP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2019, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkz24 View Post
I don't believe you're understanding. Solid light or not, you have low oil pressure. The ONLY reason it's flickering is because the pressure is right around the threshold of it being completely on, or off.

The ignition control module does not control the sender unit.

***I would recommend removing the sending unit, and purchasing/renting an oil pressure gauge to read oil pressure. This will ultimately tell you what is going on with your oil pressure, instead of "guessing".***
Great - so why most of the time the light is very faint (or dim)?
So far only once its been bright red (but flickers).
Old 06-20-2019, 11:41 AM

Garage
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Great - so why most of the time the light is very faint (or dim)?
So far only once its been bright red (but flickers).
Flickering or dim....you're at the threshold of what is considered low oil pressure. I'm not too sure how many times I need to keep repeating myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2019, 04:39 PM

I agree with jjkz24. There may be different ways the oil light can manifest itself. The important fact is that regardless of what the light does, there is a serious concern that you may have a low oil pressure inside the engine. Hence it is best to address it so that the light goes away completely. If you haven't already, please replace the oil sending unit ($9 part). Should take you 30 mins. If the problem persists, you may have a bigger issue (oil pump, failing bearings). Having an aftermarket oil pressure gauge is a plus. If you do get one, make sure its a quality unit and please don't install a mechanical oil gauge inside the car - only electrical. I suggest you get a digital gauge as it's easier to read. Driving around with oil light may potentially cause more internal damage if there is a problem with the oil pressure. However, if there is an oil pressure problem, the fact is, the engine will likely need to be rebuilt or replaced. Simply replacing the oil pump may not solve the problem since low oil pressure (unless caught and addressed right away in rare cases) will cause damage to rod and main bearings within seconds.

My Build
404whp
[email protected]
Best 60' - 1.729
Old 06-20-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks @Built_not_bought and @jjkz24 . Both of you are on preventive side. I agree with it.

Oil pressure switch was already changed. I had mechanics look at it - but they did not have a pressure tester on them. Engine also feels pretty strong & powerful when driving & otherwise - there is also sign of pressure when you peak inside.

There is known electrical issues - one is the dash does not register AT gear changes well - eg Park gear takes a while to show in the dash meaning I can not remove the key from ignition. Other was posted earlier on seat belt. The car does not have the radio nor the rear speakers.

Have you had a chance to read the two links posted - they had similar issues and still put on 5k & 10k? Two of them never reported how they fixed it. One of them reported oil pressure is fine.

The issue is intermittent as with the two links I posted. So getting a gauge seems best bet now. What are the recommended PSIs I should see? Do you have a recommendation for a gauge and a place to buy?

Last edited by sciconf; 06-20-2019 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 01:42 AM

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
what filter did you use?, i know of cases where filter media came off and clog oil lanes, causing low pressure
Old 06-22-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by androsk View Post
what filter did you use?, i know of cases where filter media came off and clog oil lanes, causing low pressure

Firestone did the oil change and filter - the issue started about 70miles after the oil change. I towed the car in and they did the oil/filter again - and they showed me it is still doing irrespective of how much engine oil is on the dipstick. Firestone advised me to take it to Honda technicians for the flickering issue.

Since the 2nd oil change, 2nd or 3rd time I drove, the issue had stopped - then it came back once as per my most recent post - this time it was bright red but flickering - went off when I turned off the engine.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by androsk View Post

Could this be caused by gas additive:
https://www.amazon.com/Injector-Carb.../dp/B06XS62VL7

I did add this to gas tank - I still have not refilled it - used up 1/4 tank. I drove it 2x2 miles today - the light didn't flicker or come on. Could it stabilize?

Last edited by sciconf; 06-23-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:19 AM

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Could this be caused by gas additive:
https://www.amazon.com/Injector-Carb.../dp/B06XS62VL7

I did add this to gas tank - I still have not refilled it - used up 1/4 tank. I drove it 2x2 miles today - the light didn't flicker or come on. Could it stabilize?
i don't know how and fuel additive affect the low oil pressure signal, it can be a wire lose in the sensor also.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:05 AM

In theory there is a chance the oil additive (depending on its chemical properties) could contribute to oil light flashing/blinking, if your car's piston rings are really worn. Gasoline dilutes oil. The additive you add to the gas tank may actually have concentrated oil diluting properties. When the engine is running, gasoline tends to sip through the piston rings, especially if they are worn. Small amounts of it reach the oil pan. The more of it reaches the pan, the stronger are the effects. Diluted oil loses its cooling and lubricating properties and becomes thinner. The thinner the oil is the lower the oil pressure becomes, hence the low oil pressure light may come-on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in