How hard is it to perform a Transmission swap - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How hard is it to perform a Transmission swap

Hello Team Integra,
I want to propose a question in regards to swapping Transmissions in the DA9 platform? I wanted to ask because i have a 1993 Acura Integra with a Automatic that i want to swap a manual into, but i don't really know all of the intricate parts to perform the swap, and i also don't know what manual transmission to swap into it. I've heard the GS-R transmission and the close ratio Type-R transmission from the DC2 Integra Type-R are good transmissions to use but i don't know which one to use for my build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 06:25 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The swap itself isn't too difficult if you have some basic mechanical ability. I did an auto to manual swap about 10 years ago and it's still running great to this day. Overall I would say a GS-R transmission is the best since it is good for both NA or forced induction applications. The Type-R is a bit short and mostly recommended for NA. For turbo, a LS(longer gearing) or GS-R is good, but I would still recommend the GS-R. There are several auto to manual swap threads around if you search and are looking for more information and specifics.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

Articles: 1
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
It's not too bad. I've done transmissions on Civic and Integras about a dozen times. It's easier to do if you have an engine support bar to keep the engine in place while you pull the axles and mount off the transmission side. Be extra careful when putting the new one back on, as misalignment can push the clutch out of alignment, and you'll have to take it all apart and put it back together.

As far as which transmission to pick, the GSR will be easier to find than an ITR trans, but it's really up to you.

95 EJ1 Milano RIP/died/sold -> 98 DB7 CSM RIP/totalled -> 97 DB7 CSM Awful. Sold it back. -> 01 DB8 YR525M RIP/totalled -> 06 Civic LX daily -> 1991 CRX HF (YT)

Integra friends are the best friends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

do you know where i can get a manual transmission and all of the required parts along with the transmission? I tried my local junkyard, and all they carry are early '90's to late '90's civic hatches and coupe parts
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator

Articles: 1
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I don't, but I bet with some googling you can find a howto for a DA9.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993AcuraIntegra View Post
do you know where i can get a manual transmission and all of the required parts along with the transmission? I tried my local junkyard, and all they carry are early '90's to late '90's civic hatches and coupe parts
We're building a 92 DA for endurance racing. Manual transmissions like you are trying to find seem to be difficult to impossible to come across. I have 2 which took me 4 months of searching on internet and Craigslist to procure, a YS1 and a JDM S1 close ratio. Parts for the S1 are very hard to find and it took a couple months working with gearspeed and couple other places to get the few hard parts I needed. These are cable transmissions. You might want to consider just going hydraulic and knowing what it costs to rebuild, etc I'd suggest trying to source a complete rebuilt tranny from either gearspeed or syncrotech - then you know you're getting something that works. I have no bias to either company or connection other than having used both to source parts.

Both my transmissions - sellers both claimed they were 'fine' and when I opened the cases to inspect them they were both far from 'fine'. So you get what you pay for and sometimes you get less than expected.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 12:47 PM

Garage
The GSR and ITR transmissions are both great in different ways. But You're running a DA Integra ? Those cars do not have provisions for a hydraulic clutch trans. Which requires some fabrication.

The DA manual runs a cable actuated clutch transmission. I imagine it would be easier to get an LS cable trans to get you running. And just buy a good quality used gear set. As an upgrade later to get closer to the shorter gear ratios of a GSR or ITR.

Thats what I did in my DC4 integra. I have a GSR case and final drive with LS and GSR gear ratios mixed.

But yea. I know there have to be some good write ups on doing an auto to manual swap on this forum.

The labor is about 5 on a difficulty scale of 1 to 10. If you are a mechanic.

The hardest part is gonna be getting a complete list of all the parts needed.

As far as getting parts, find a good salvage yard. www.car-part.com is a good resource for salvage parts. And most yards ship parts. if you can't find anything close by for pick-up.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 09:39 AM

Note on LS cable transmissions for a DA - there are 2 different shaft diameters. I believe 90-91 are smaller than 92-93. The 90-91 case is NOT compatible with 94-01 gear sets. We have 2 different clutch assemblies we have to maintain for our car - one for the S1 and one for the YS1 due to the shaft sizes.

And there are a lot of 'franken' transmissions out there so the label on the outside (if there is one) may not reflect what is on the inside. Also you cannot know the gear ratio unless you open up the transmission and count the teeth of the gears. Don't assume it is what you are being told - from experience.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 02:07 PM

Not hard, just take your time and remember where the bolts go when you put back together.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 05:39 AM

Garage
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
The question is.....Does the OP have the correct tools? Without the correct tools it can't be done.

About time I can now apply for Historic Tags for my GS/VTEC Automatic and no more SMOG
-------------------
In other news: New edition to the family born on August 21, 2018 @ 3:10am

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page