Oil Light Flashing - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Did a search and diidn't find my answer.

Driving to work today in the Blac-ura, minding my own business, enjoying my cold blowing AC, the oil light started flashing. It took me a moment to digest this, but I pulled over and checked the car over. No leaks, no blue/white smoke, oil on the dipstick was a fine golden brown and normal in level, as I just changed it about 3-weeks ago. It started up again with no oil light issue, but then it came on within one- mile. I stopped again and called my business partner to pick me up from the roadside. I have it parked at a shopping center about 10-15 miles from work. Between the second stopping and the shopping center, no light. Sat in the shopping center with engine revving to 4000rpm, no light.

So it's either the oil pump (death) or the oil pressure sensor unit (hopeful). How can I tell? Remember, I'm in work clothes and have no tools or lift with me. Any help would be great. I don;t want to leave her there alone for any long time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 11:32 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I have had the exact same problem happen to me. Its totally intermittent and pretty much seems unexplainable. The fact that the light doesn't go on all the time leads me to believe that the oil pump is working and there is just a problem with the oil pressure switch. The unit is next to the oil filter on the back of the engine and its a one prong connection. It should be covered by a rubber boot. Either the connection is loose, or the sensor is bad.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

That would make sense. Maybe I bumped it with the last oil change, although it's never happened before. Someone else mentioned something about a bad oil filter. Could that change the pressure (drop it lower) to make it misread?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 02:59 PM

Probably not. When that light flashes its telling you the PSI has dropped below 5. When that happens I don't think anything short of a clogged filter could make the pressure drop that much, and if it was clogged it would stay on even after turning off and restarting the car. I would physically inspect that sensor and its connection, give the car another try, and put that at the top of your priorities for replacement. I can't tell you what I did to make it go away, but I think after making sure the connection was solid it has only happened once to me in a period of several months.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 03:16 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
***This is NOT something you want to take lightly. Assuming that the sender is functioning correctly- it is a very simple device and not very likely to be broken. The connection itself may be loose...but again. Not likely- it's on there fairly well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegstand93 on Sep/01/09
anything short of a clogged filter could make the pressure drop that much, and if it was clogged it would stay on even after turning off and restarting the car.
A "clogged filter" will actually raise pressure in the oil system. Not to mention that oil filters have a pressure relief valve for such a case...but again, this would not relieve so much pressure that there would not be any in the system.

Check the oil level NOW and if possible, get an oil pressure gauge. It's the only thing that will give you acurate information.

If Acura ever decides to go searching for its soul, it's out in my garage.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 03:37 PM

He said the oil was at the proper level in the original post. I definately agree with you though, get an oil pressure guage and test it. Anytime that light comes on, definately turn the car off IMMEDIATELY. Like I said I've had this problem occur several times and everytime the problem has dissappeared as randomly as it came on. Also my oil was fine just like the OP. I've probably put 10,000 miles on my car since it first occured and its happenned maybe a dozen times. Everytime I turn the car off it seems to fix whatever malfunction was happening.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Shutting off the car clears it for a short time. The light then comes on again. It will have to wait for the weekend. I'll get a new pressure sensor switch, as well as a pressure tester, since the procedure to test the pressure requires "jacking" into the pressure sensor. Will a vacuum gauge work to test the pressure? Anyone?...Buehler?

I'll let you know what I find, but hopefully the engine remains healthy. It's just getting broken in at 334,000 miles.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 01:50 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
that happened to me and i checked my oil and it was low.. all i did was put a quart in and it fixed the problem... your car is most likely burning oil. put a quart in and see if that fixes the problem.

The Gsr
00 voltage blue ls coupe totaled
94 milano red gsr coupe current and lovin it
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 02:03 AM

If you checked the oil level the minute you shut the car off, the reading on the dipstick is inaccurate. With the engine running, the oil is circulating. Let the car sit for a few hours and then check it. I bet you you're low on oil

USS Russell DDG 59 "Strength In Freedom"
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

It's not the oil level, as I checked that later in the day after the car had been sitting. My oil level is directly between the level indicators and is golden, honey brown.

I think I have to check the pressure from the pump, but am most hopeful it is just the switch. The car runs great still. No sign of losing oil pressure. Just the stupid indicator...or smart indicator as it prevents me from frying the old dog.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 10:37 AM

So recently I had to change my oil due to regular maintenance, but it was the first time that the oil light came on after I had changed it. Two days prior to the oil change, it came on but i thought it was because i needed an oil change. So yesterday I changed the oil pressure sensor and it started flashing for a while, and then i turned off the car, waited a couple of minutes and turned it back on and it was like faintly flashing but still on. A friend of mine said to disconnect the battery to restart the ecu to see if it can turn off the oil light. does that usually work or?

92 integra LS.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 02:31 AM

Garage
Necrobumping due to a necromancer bump... Anywho.

If anyone else finds this, just test your damn oil pressure, I mean really. 60-90 psi cold start, 5-25 idle, 50-80 2500-full load. If pressure as tested by an external gauge is fine, then it's either the sending unit or a bum connection. My oil light has been on for over 5k miles now and I've flat out ignored it due to having an oil pressure gauge installed in my DA.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 11:46 PM

What happened after wards for your car?

What updates do you guys have?

I am also experiencing this issue - very faint “engine oil light” came on 2mins into idle. As I started droving home (3-4 miles), it disappeared. Then started the engine again it came on but disappears as I start to drive. The light is not bright red as you see when you first turn the key (without the engine running).

I have not found a shop that can measure the pressure.

I also am stuck as to which is the correct part for me - shop has about 3 of them - each part says "with light" - mine is a 4Dr Auto LS:
https://www.team-integra.net/forum/1...post2030079090

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page