Low Idle , Feels like its dying - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
my engine idles low and it feels like it's about to die..(between 2nd-3rd line on the rpms). it usually happens whenever i push my car hard...not hard like i'm killing it, but i gotta get to where i'm going quick, kinda hard. anyways, lets say i'm at a stop light, my exhaust sounds like it doing some kinda of bass drum beat. the whole thing feels like it's gonna die. and if i push some gas, rpms would go up and when i let go...the needle DROPS (falls like a brick) and catches itself at the first line, just almost about to die, but doesn't. then it goes back to that drumbeat. i dunno what's up with it. distributor, wires, spark plugs were changed, compression tests taken by three different mechanics all saying it's normal. anyone have any ideas what's up here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 09:09 AM

I have a similar problem. When I'm idling at a light, the rpms drop to like 500 and it starts to chug a bit as if its gonna die, then I guess the IAC opens up an the rpms shoot up to 1100, then it slowly falls back to 500 rpm and repeats. Whole proces takes about 10 seconds or so.

I've been chasing this one for a while. First assumption of course was the IAC valve so I took it off and clean it out with TB cleaner. Problem is still there.

"Nobody gonna take my car, gonna race it to the ground, Nobody gonna beat my car, gonna break the speed of sound." -- Deep Purple, Highway Star
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 09:16 AM

try resetting ure idel time... and u might need to change the spark plugs...

Frank

one man, one teg, a lot of thinking... -Frank (me)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

how do i go about resetting the idle time? i read somewhere about adjusting something on the throttle body...i'm gonna try that out. blackaddr, i think yours is a different problem. mines is constant, whenever i'm in neutral. i'ma ask my brother about what you have. i think i've heard mention something that sounds like what you have.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

blackaddr, just spoke to my bro, he said it was the iac, but you did that already.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 01:13 PM

Articles: 30
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
idling problems (too high or too low) should always be stated in the context of whether they are occurring when the engine is cold vs. after it has been warmed up AND whether this occurs while other accessories are on (like A/C ) or while turning the steering wheel.

warmed up, low idle without steering input or A/C problems are either due to needing an idle adjust screw adjustment (on your TB), a malfunctioning IACV (very common in older Tegs), or an alternator connection problem.

It's always a good maintenance thing to buy one of those electrical connector cleaner sprays (get it from Acura) and clean out all your connectors/contacts. It's something that's an "attention to detail" item you can do that the dealership rarely does for you and is not a task or listed as part of your routine maintenance schedule items in your owner's manual.

thanks

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

thanks! yeah...it happens when its all warmed up. i just adjusted the screw on the TB and took it out around the block...i'm on my lunch break right now. but...it's still going on. i'll go check out my iacv and alternator once i get the chance. Thanks!
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 06:45 PM

My engine idles around 500 warm or cold. Yesterday though, i started giving it gas and pulling forward and the entire car really shook the sh*t out of me(engine was cold when this happened). I don't know much about cars, but it felt like it wasn't getting gas or something. Similar to when you just let the clutch out without giving it gas, but it was a much more violent shake, not so much of a jump.

What should a 97 GSR with nothing but an intake idle at?
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 09:50 PM

Articles: 30
500 rpm is fine.

stock idle is 750 +/- 250 rpm from the Helms manual and stated a million times in many idle threads.

for people with high rpm idle problems, here is the COMMoN TOPIC thread over in Performance forum and the bad idle help links page in the COMMoN TOPICS.

also please search in the advanced search under "erratic idle" in the Topics window and this Gen 3 forum and you'll find a ton of old posts on this to help you solve the problem...the answer is using a systematic approach (see the Helms manual in the fuel chapter) and not a bunch of random wild guesses.

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 10:21 PM

Ye, 500 RPM is normal idling for an integra. My suggestion to you is to buy a Haynes Repair Manual. THey explain a lot of things in there, including your problem. A quick explanation though is, sounds like you need to mess with your IAC, then reset the ECU. Buy the repair manual or look it up, easy fix, just a little bolt.

Got integra?
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 11:15 AM

man, ma car always idel at around 700-800ish.. i know its fine and all, .. but just wanted to throw that in there...lol

And MD has neone ever told u.. DUDE U ROCK>>

man its such a privilage to have u as a member of our TI family..
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 08:33 AM

My car does that after i drive it for minutes or so too like at a redlight it drops to under 1000...but when i start my car its like almost 2000

Passing it off, like some kind of king. You dont know peace till you've had suffering.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 01:24 PM

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
i asked the guys on boosted hybrid about this and Jeff Evans (owner) responded with:

Its the fast idle thermo valve located underneath the throttle body. I have to constantly fix this on obd-1 customers car before tuning sessions, with high miles they tend to back out and get loose. This creates a vacuum leak, and causes the idle to be irratic.

-------------------------------------------

it seems that this problem is actually quite common and this is the cause of the problem more often then not, i have to take apart my throttle body this weekend and i will let you guys know the outcome..

Black 96 GSR - All Motor Daily Driver Red 99 LS w/ JRSC - Night Time/Weekend Warrior I Also Own A 500whp All-Motor Chevy S-10, A Honda 440EX ATV, And A Yamaha YZ125 Dirtbike, If It Has an Engine Then I'll Whip It... Motorsports Are My Life.. And Gas Pumps Through My Veins
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 01:41 PM

1st thing u should do.......check battery voltage and charging system voltage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page