Clocking upper control arm bushing - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Clocking upper control arm bushing

After almost 3 years, the UCA easily pivots up and down with little lifting strength from my arm, after disconnection camber ball joint from steering knuckle. I.e. its completely torn, and may contribute to increase wear of camber ball joints (i know these CBJs have a reputation of low life spans).

The guide here says, place upper arm perpendicular to the strut assembly.

I wanted to take a different approach.

1. Remove tire, while car is on jack stand
  2. Place block of wood on floor jack
  3. Lift car on part of lower control arm closest to lower ball joint until car is 1-5mm off jack stand
  4. Place ruler on back part of upper arm, and move it left or right, until touches car frame
  5. Use white acrylic paint marker and mark ruler contact with car frame

Anyone who managed to their upper arm bushings to last after performing repair themself, I'd appreciate advice.

I don't want to use poly-bushings, as these are prone to squeaky noises.

2001 Integra GS Automatic Coupe; B18B1: 240,000 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 02:16 PM

Maybe its just me but I read your step-by-step approach and still don't get it. How do you move UCA left or right until it touches car frame? Did you mean to say move it up and down? Assuming you did, what would you gain by marking it with acrylic paint? Are you trying to make sure that both sides are equal? Is that the case? Either way you are over thinking it. I would just follow the guide "place upper arm perpendicular to the strut assembly." and call it a day. Just eye ball it.
My 5 cents.

My Build
404whp
[email protected]
Best 60' - 1.729
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Since I was using the same upper control arm, I was able to mark the position of the UCA, in relation to car's chassis (green ellipse in the image). Keep in mind if the car is on a hill, the height of the position of the UCA will vary. E.g. if rear of car is facing down an incline, then UCA in the front will be 1-2" away from chassis 'intersection'. I used thread locker, and an impact wrench paired to universal joint, to tighten the bushing bolts; you may have to remove UCA assembly to do this though; I ended up stripping one of the new bolts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page