VA State Inspection Scam! - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
VA State Inspection Scam!

Hey all, its been a while...I should update my build thread...

Car is now garage kept 6 years later, this is what it looks like as of the 17th this month:

Yesterday I took it to get inspected, I've always had the issue of shops wanting to replace the front wipers because of rips or cuts in the blades. If I'm waiting I usually ask to see the wipers and sure enough there is problem with the wiper blades. So usually 40-$50 later the car passes inspection. This has been a clear trend every inspection for both my Integra and 2017 GTI over the past 5 or so years.

Last year my local shop installed 2 new front wiper blades during the inspection. These blades probably spent a total 30 hours outside all year, half of which was after sun-down. The rear blade was replaced two years ago. So these new blades hardly saw any use or sun at all, no reason for them to be bad. So yesterday before I had the car inspected I checked and cleaned all three blades, they looked fine...as they should have. This was just before I left the house for the inspection mind you on a sun-filled day.

Car goes into the shop...sure enough I get a call saying it failed for several reasons (this wasn't my usual shop) the last of which was for....you guessed it...wiper blades! OH BOY....

I talk to the tech, he had good things to say about my Integra and said he really didn't want to fail it blah...blah. I then asked for him to point out what is wrong with the wiper blades. He showed me the right side blade was torn about ONE INCH on the end and the left blade was torn HALF AN INCH from and end. It took a lot to keep my cool, unfortunately I didn't want start a ruckus since the shop manager had likely gone home by now anyways since it was getting late. There is no way I missed such huge defects in the blades just hours before, I even tested the rear blade when I got home which is the older blade of the three...I'd say to begin a rip on that blade would require a knife as it didn't rip easily by hand. Confirmed: Shops will scam you out of wiper blades, its probably something we all suspect, but its crazy how obvious it was this time around. They intentionally ripped the blades, there simply is no other explanation.

I'm now trying to decide on what to do, I'm thinking about going back to the shop, asking for the garage manager, showing him the ripped blades and asking him to attempt to rip the third one. As the tech claimed he only need to "flick the ends" for them to rip. I want to see how easily the shop manager can rip the blade. Maybe they'll give me a full set of new blades or something...who knows, I just think this is BS and I deserve new blades and an explaination.

Also, from now on I'm going to have a set of new front blades for each car, these new blades will be installed the day of the inspection. The packaging will be left in the passenger seat. I've probably been scammed 300-$400 over 5 years between two of my cars due to "bad blades"...no more!!!!

Anyone have any more ideas?

Current Setup: 98' Spec JDM Type-R swapped LS
Former Setup: 250hp/250tq LS-T
My Build Thread

Last edited by TheAlpha; 04-23-2019 at 10:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:03 AM

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Granted I come from a state that doesn't do Rego but why not buy a new set before going and show them the receipt? Auto parts store has to be cheaper than paying monkey's to install them for you at a markup...

95 Integra LS - Touge/Time Attack
B18b1
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute_Yeti View Post
Granted I come from a state that doesn't do Rego but why not buy a new set before going and show them the receipt? Auto parts store has to be cheaper than paying monkey's to install them for you at a markup...
It is much cheaper and is exactly what I plan to do from now on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 02:20 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Could you use a dash cam recording them while inspecting the car? having the video going viral wouldn't be good press...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw614 View Post
Could you use a dash cam recording them while inspecting the car? having the video going viral wouldn't be good press...

I do have a dash cam in my GTI which I will set to record during its inspection this year. I'd like to also get one for the Teg. That would be some juicy viral footage!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 11:21 AM

I would say that might spook em if they see the dash cam. They'll probably ask you about it and say 'wow man so cool' and try to get you to talk about its setup. I'd say it runs on battery backup and goes off of motion, viewing angle is the entire length of the windshield..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in