Problem with starting, surging, idling - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Problem with starting, surging, idling

Hi guys so long story short i was driving a few months back and the car died, i suspected it was a oil in the spark plug hole as the seal wasnt that great, so it wasnt getting sparks sure enough there was...

Engine B18B2 (B18 LS)

The car was due for timing belt anyways, so pulled the motor out, changed the head with a reco'd one cause the old one had seal and smoke issues, also set all the valve lash as per specs

Intake: 0.003" - 0.005" (0.08mm - 0.12mm)
Exh: 0.006" - 0.008" (0.16mm - 0.20mm)

And while the motor was out, id put the turbo on it as well... For now i would run it with the stock ECU so i can atleast move the car in and around the place, whilst the inter cooler was disconnected, so atleast i can drive it down the road with the factory injectors as well.

Dropped the motor in and fluids, went to start it, no start, cranked for a good 10 seconds no start.... next day same but kept the throttle opened a bit like a carbie engine, and started, got the timing light on the belt and timed it to the red mark as per what B18B engines are, the red mark on the pulley no issues, during that time the idling was okay, it was steady at 800rpm...

So now the fun part... the car didnt want to idle after few days, horrible idle, like it had cams, id rev it to 2k rpm, it didnt like it, surged and when backed off it would want to die, i would bleep the throttle to 2k rpm, it would surge and back fire through intake and want to die

when driving it surges hard, hit 2k rpm it falls flat on its face, back off and slowly revs over... foot flat on accelerator, it wont rev over 4k at all.. .if you slowly rev it out it will go pass 4k

There is no Cell light at all... im really stumped

New items:
Fuel pump and fuel filter
intake manifold gasket
turbo kit...
timing belt kit

Things i have tried:
Checked all grounding points, (thermo state, GB housing and Cam Cover) Even added a 4th grounding.
Set of injectors 240cc... Still no change, changed for 2 other sets still same problem
Changed Map sensors, no changed from 2 other
Changed TPS with H22, D16Y4 and D16W, I even calibrated them as per instructions, Idle: 0.45v WOT 4.5v, still same problem ( could all 3 tps be faulty? I do have a new one coming in)
Swapped out the factory TB with a ITR from 99 with the factory map and TPS, still same issue, the ITR reads idle, 0.42v and Wot 4.3v (that was from a running Car too)
Cleaned IACV
Checked for vac leaks, no leaks, as the idle doesnt hunt up and down
changed all vac hoses

Im ready to burn this thing to the ground, i have a tuner booked in Easter week... so dont have long to go..... Im really out of ideas

Dizzy? i wouldnt have figured because sometimes it still sending sparks to all 4 cylinders and can still idle and rev, but not 100 percent about that

Worse case i can take it to a mechanic, but i feel like its such a simple thing im missing thats giving me grief
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 05:40 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Before I'd take it to the mechanic, I would remove the turbo, to confirm that its not the culprit.

I would also do a compression test. Make sure the spark plugs are properly adjusted.

How long has the car been sitting? Can the gas be too old?

My Build
404whp
[email protected]
Best 60' - 1.729

Last edited by Built_not_bought; 04-01-2019 at 05:47 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page