Bouncy Idle Only on Cold Start - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bouncy Idle Only on Cold Start

Hello all,

I’m currently having the dreaded cold start idle issue on my 2001 Integra GSR. What happens is it will start, and then bounce between 1k to about 1.8k RPMs before it eventually smooths out after the car is warm. This is the only time it does this, so I’m wondering what can cause it.

The engine doesn’t have a FITV, the throttle body has been cleaned, and IACV(bought at oreillys) has been replaced. I am also running a P28 hondata chipped ecu that I recently replaced my P72 with, but the issue still remains during cold start. I’m thinking of replacing the hoses to the IACV, and if not that the map sensor, then TPS, and if nothing else the throttle body and it’s gaskets.

Is there anything else I’m missing to replace? Would I not get a CEL for the map sensor or TPS if those were the issue? A smoke test has been conducted but no leaks were found, and I am stomped on what it could be. Is there anything I’m missing to test? Also if I get a stock map sensor, will it have to be calibrated? The engine was recently rebuilt with forged pistons and heads so that’s the reason for switching to P28, but thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 04:00 PM

Garage
I'll listen in on this as well. my 95 LS does this but I figured it was the 10 year old air filter and oil/antifreeze sludge everywhere in my bay.

95 Integra LS - Touge/Time Attack
B18b1
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 05:10 PM

Garage
Question for you, what happens if you cold start it with the electrical connector to the IACV disconnected? I was digging through an old build thread of mine for my old Spectra5 (Kia, engine was a honda clone) where I was having similar issues and mine cleared up after flat out deleting the IACV (which could be simulated by just unplugging it to test)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute_Yeti View Post
Question for you, what happens if you cold start it with the electrical connector to the IACV disconnected? I was digging through an old build thread of mine for my old Spectra5 (Kia, engine was a honda clone) where I was having similar issues and mine cleared up after flat out deleting the IACV (which could be simulated by just unplugging it to test)
I haven’t tried unplugging the IACv yet, but I can try it out. I know there’s the option to delete but apparently there’s some draw backs when doing that. It’s weird because before the rebuild never had the issue, and since then I do have it. Does the IACv have connector spot like a sensor to unplug?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 08:44 PM

Garage
yeah, it's a 2 or 3 wire plug on the bottom of the sensor.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I’ll check it out tomorrow. But unplug it while car is running?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I’ll check it out tomorrow. But unplug it while car is running?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 09:58 AM

Garage
I would unplug it before startup so it's completely out of the loop. It may throw a code i'm not sure on honda/acuras, but it should clear when you plug it back in if it does. idealy you just want to rule out issues with that system.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page