97 overheating - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
97 overheating

1997, ATX, non-VTEC 200k

Symptoms: When car warms up to operating temperature the temperature gauge slowly climbs and begins to overheat, either idling or while driving, where the needle starts passing the 1/2 way mark on gauge. Car slowly cools as it maintains a cruising speed while I crank the heater.

I recently replaced the radiator cap, but it didn't help; still slowly overheating.

Coolant levels appear normal. I don't see or smell any leaks. Radiator feels warm, upper hose warm and firm but lower hose feels fairly cool. No debris around the radiator. Heat is very warm, so that isn't affected.

I had past issues with the cooling fan not coming on at idle and generally in the summer I'd be running the A/C anyway so the problem would only manifest on a hot day if I'm idling and not running the air. Temperatures are cooler now and even at milder temps like in the 60s, the temp will start creeping up after longer drives.

I'll likely replace the thermostat next. Any other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 06:10 PM

If your radiator fan is not coming on you need to fix that. I suggest you replace the fan switch. If that doesn't help, test the radiator to make sure its functional (use spare wires w/spade female connectors on one side. Connect spade connectors to the fan plug, then one of the wires to battery +, other wire to chassis ground. Doesn't matter which wire goes to battery or ground for testing purposes.)
Now, you mentioned that your bottom radiator hose stays cool. That means your thermostat doesn't open. Replace that asap to avoid further engine damage. Remember, if you overheat the engine, you may end-up with a blown head gasket and a warped cylinder head. You don't want that.
Last but not least, make sure to bleed the system after you replace the thermostat.

My Build
404whp
[email protected]
Best 60' - 1.729
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built_not_bought View Post
If your radiator fan is not coming on you need to fix that. I suggest you replace the fan switch. If that doesn't help, test the radiator to make sure its functional (use spare wires w/spade female connectors on one side. Connect spade connectors to the fan plug, then one of the wires to battery +, other wire to chassis ground. Doesn't matter which wire goes to battery or ground for testing purposes.)
Now, you mentioned that your bottom radiator hose stays cool. That means your thermostat doesn't open. Replace that asap to avoid further engine damage. Remember, if you overheat the engine, you may end-up with a blown head gasket and a warped cylinder head. You don't want that.
Last but not least, make sure to bleed the system after you replace the thermostat.
I replaced the thermostat today, topped off the coolant and drove for about 20 to 30 minutes without any issues. It seemed to warm up accordingly and the needle stayed slightly under 1/2 way on the temperature gauge.

Heat is very warm, everything seems fine.

However, the upper hose remains hot and the lower is still fairly cool. Should I be concerned? Next up is likely the fan switch to get that working again...I believe that's the one on the thermo housing, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 07:41 PM

That is correct.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page