'95 DC4 Skipping Timing Belt - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'95 DC4 Skipping Timing Belt

'95 DC4 Integra LS with the B18B1, auto trans.

Spent the better part of 12 hours with this car yesterday. The teardown was easy as I'd done a timing belt on my girlfriend's DB7 with the same engine, until it came to the crank bolt and I had to drive to buy an impact and the clutch line popped off my slave cylinder, which is another story.

Followed the procedure in every manual and every honda-tech thread ever. Line up crank and cams to TDC, roll it 4-6 revolutions back to TDC, rotate exactly 3 teeth, loosen and tighten the tensioner. We cranked it over with the ECU fuse removed and the belt stayed tight and stayed in time. Wrapped everything up, idled and revved perfectly, went to test drive it and as soon as it went under load it jumped time. Cams were still in time, but the crank was off a tooth or two and there's no low-end power but it picks up with engine speed.

Did the same procedure 3 more times and the same thing happened every time. It never skips further and the belt stays tight. I thought tensioner, but once it skips that one or two teeth the belt is perfect and never skips again.

What have I missed? My girlfriend's car had the same procedure and it worked the first time and still runs perfect over a year later. I've searched up and down all of the forums and found nothing conclusive or that I haven't tried already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 11:04 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
When you removed harmonic balancer, how did the keyway and the key look on it? If the keyway is stretched (damaged) it may manifest correct timing until the load is applied, then it would allow the pulley to clock itself. If that is the case, the crankshaft may need to be replaced as the keyway in it may be damaged as well.

My Build
404whp
[email protected]
Best 60' - 1.729

Last edited by Built_not_bought; 04-16-2018 at 11:06 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page