Type R "Big Brake" Upgrade - Is it necessary? - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Type R "Big Brake" Upgrade - Is it necessary?

I have a stock 98 GSR that serves as both DD and weekend track vehicle. I went out last weekend and it performed well but obviously felt soft due to the stock suspension.

Looks like the Type R 11" brake upgrade is pretty easy but how much difference does it really make? Will a stock GSR really overpower the stock 10.3" rotor? I have Motul RBF600 fluid and stoptech ceramic pads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 11:54 AM
Site Founder/Administrator

Articles: 75
Garage
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
I'll definitely vouch that it makes a big difference on track, I swear by the upgrade and it's cheap to do
jjkz24, dpaton and RicoLSX like this.

- Running Log, the trials and tribulations of building a car

echlonwarrior: "Hondabond saves lives"
K2sInteg98: "the best thing to do is keep spending and not keep count....lol"
dpaton: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions"
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 11:43 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
its cheap to do, you can buy one of the kits or find the calipers at a u-pull it.

Just make sure the wheels you use can clear the brakes, there are some 15s like the RPF1 that won't clear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

That's enough to sell me on it. "Professional grade" blanks, Stoptech sport pads, and a set of powdercoated calipers runs $182 after shipping from Rockauto.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 04:12 PM

I just installed the "Team integra brake upgrade kit" from Pro Parts USA and wow. Even with the basic kit (Normal Ctec pads/rotors, non performance) plus ss lines it feels so much better. I haven't tracked it, but even just commuting and cruising around it feels so much more effortless and smooth. I am currently dealing with an ABS issue (I made a thread for it in the brake/suspension section), but even without abs, it is very easy to modulate at the limit. Very smooth and powerful braking. My original brakes just felt overly stressed when having to stop short. These brakes ( I only did the front so far) feel so much better, even on the highway at say 90 plus, if someone cuts you off, they slow you down quick, drama free. Very confidence inspiring set up. As you can probably tell, I am very happy and excited about them lol.

1992 Civic si
2000 Integra GS
2007 VFR800
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 04:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by masospaghetti View Post
That's enough to sell me on it. "Professional grade" blanks, Stoptech sport pads, and a set of powdercoated calipers runs $182 after shipping from Rockauto.
Sounds like you answered your own question.

2008 Subaru Forester 2.5X
2005 Subaru WRB STi
2000 Integra Type R #685
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 04:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by masospaghetti View Post

Why even bother posting then? No one is trying to sell you anything, no one makes a penny off anything they recommend.

Spend your own money your own way as you see fit without wasting everyone’s time if you’re going to post shit like that.

The path you asked about is tried and true and used by many many members with always positive results. The marketing term “professional” and the powder coating on the calipers you looked at don’t mean squat when it comes to function
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 11:17 AM

Not sure if that was sarcasm or serious...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b18c5rjdm View Post
Sounds like you answered your own question.
MorningZ and aw614 provided the feedback I was looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningZ
Why even bother posting then? No one is trying to sell you anything, no one makes a penny off anything they recommend.

Spend your own money your own way as you see fit without wasting everyone’s time if you’re going to post shit like that.
What is your problem? The recommendation that YOU gave is what was enough to sell me on it. You explicitly said it made a big difference on the track. That feedback was enough to convince me to go ahead with it.

I only listed the parts from Rockauto for the next guy/gal that might want to do this.

Last edited by masospaghetti; 02-26-2018 at 03:37 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningZ View Post
The marketing term “professional” and the powder coating on the calipers you looked at don’t mean squat when it comes to function
Raybestos "professional" is not anything special (they are blank China rotors) but I've had bad experience with bottom-dollar parts (UltraPower suspension parts come to mind), bad enough to be a legitimate safety concern. I considered slotted rotors and they have a well established performance advantage but they are also more susceptible to cracking.

The powder coated calipers were the same price as the uncoated ones. Obviously performance-wise they are going to be the same but they are easier to keep clean.

Last edited by masospaghetti; 02-26-2018 at 03:38 PM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 10:41 AM

I guess it wasn't sarcasm lol.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 12:22 PM

Garage
Quick question: what parts do you need to to just the rear brakes..is it the same kit?if so where can i find them?

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 01:35 PM

Pro parts USA makes a kit for the rear as well.
It is basically just EP3/ RSX Calipers and early EP3 si rotors. (calipers need to be flipped left to right and vise versa, so bleeding requires taking them off)
If you can find ITR calipers at a decent price, it will avoid the having to put the right on the left and left on the right and make bleeding easier, but ITR rear calipers are not common and generally expensive...
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 01:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8luedragon View Post
Quick question: what parts do you need to to just the rear brakes..is it the same kit?if so where can i find them?
All documented here:

https://www.team-integra.net/forum/19...gs-ls-gsr.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page