Culprit of oil leak, drain plug side, right and up of oil filter? - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Culprit of oil leak, drain plug side, right and up of oil filter?

I've already changed camshaft seal, valve cover (plus o-rings) gasket, and for a third time the oil pan gasket (OPG).

While changing and doing a follow up the OPG change for the 3rd time, I noticed, on the drain plug side, to the right of the oil filter was a line of leakage, but I couldn't pin point it to the source since it was high up above with the cv axle obstructing the view.

I presume it's not the oil pressure sending unit, since it is to the left of the oil filter. If the OPSU is likely fine, I'd rather wait until summer time to change it anyway given it's age, since I don't want to risk having to fix other things in the winter time, if I happen to damage something else while "fixing it".

I've read, that the front main and rear main seals are also common culprits of engine leaks on these cars. As a shade-tree mechanic, these are likely out of my scope, so I'd have to put them off until the next timing belt change, which is due in 20k miles.

2001 Integra GS Automatic Coupe; B18B1: 230,000 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 08:29 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
oem opg is pretty much designed to leak.
did the hondahabit gasket and it still leaks a bit
but not as bad. probably need to tighten the studs and nuts some more.

myHondaHabit Oil Pan Gasket and Stud Kit: B-series
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 10:03 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The front main seal looks doable especially if you can do a timing belt job yourself (I haven't tried, but you can see if when you have the belt off). However, I probably wouldnt do the rear main seal myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 11:50 AM

Just to name few other potential areas to check for the oil leak using an oil die:

1. OEM catch can o-ring
2. Distributor o-ring
3. VTEC solenoid gasket
4. Oil filter o-ring
5. Oil plug washers - 4 total (very low chance, unless someone messed with these previously)

When you changed valve cover gasket, did you clean under the valve cover? There are 8 areas that require liquid gasket application. Liquid gasket takes time to cure, if valve cover wasn't cleaned from the oil it would work its way to contaminate these areas and prevent seal from forming. Same goes to the oil pan gasket. There are 4 areas that require liquid gasket application. You can almost never drain engine oil effectively to allow liquid gasket to cure before contamination occurs. You would need to let the car seat for a weekend (the longer the better). Then after removing the oil pan, I would suggest removing the oil pick up tube and the windage plate to access the area around crankshaft for cleaning purposes. Then use a rag to wipe engine block walls dry as far as your hand can reach. All around. Use new oil pick up tube gasket. Reinstall windage plate and oil pick up tube back. If reusing the oil pan gasket, soak it in 90% alcohol to remove oil. Wipe it clean and dry. Clean the oil pan mating surface of any oil. Apply liquid gasket where required. Install oil pan. Torque bolts in proper order. Retorque bolts in the same order. Retorque them again until you confirm that these are 100% torqued to spec. (I believe 96 inch-pounds). Good luck.

My Build
404whp
[email protected]
Best 60' - 1.729
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

I forgot to mentin, the third time when doing the OGP, I used myhondahabit. Only thing I'd say I did wrong, was I turned the engine on 4 hours after tightening the bolts to 104 lbs inch torque (8.7 to 9.1 lb ft).

What do you all think about those glow in the dark additives you mix with the engine oil?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 04:33 PM
Site Founder/Administrator

Articles: 75
Garage
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3ntegra View Post
What do you all think about those glow in the dark additives you mix with the engine oil?
I've used it in the past with success!

- Running Log, the trials and tribulations of building a car

echlonwarrior: "Hondabond saves lives"
K2sInteg98: "the best thing to do is keep spending and not keep count....lol"
dpaton: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions"
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

Articles: 1
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3ntegra View Post
They've saved my butt a few times. Worth every penny.

The flashlight can also be used to see the headlight level bubble even after it's nearly impossible to see with the naked eye.

95 EJ1 Milano RIP/died/sold -> 98 DB7 CSM RIP/totalled -> 97 DB7 CSM Awful. Sold it back. -> 01 DB8 YR525M RIP/totalled -> 06 Civic LX daily -> 1991 CRX HF (YT)

Integra friends are the best friends.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page