Cruise control not working? Try these... - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By MorningZ

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cruise control not working? Try these...

Hello,

I still have my '95 integra. It is so dang reliable I just can't part with it. I've had it since it came off the lot with 7 miles on it. :-)

Anyhow, I just fixed the cruise control failing to "lock the speed" issue and I figured I'd post my experience here in case someone else runs into this issue.

Here are the usual causes that I have seen, in no particular order:

1. Broken clutch pedal switch. Easy to diagnose, if the car can turn on in neutral without you pressing the clutch, then this is the problem. $35 at a local autoparts.

2. Broken brake pedal switch. This is a double switch, so even if your brake lights are still functioning this could be the issue. You'll have to remove it to test it with a multimeter (continuity test), or just install a new one... $25 at local autoparts.

3. Broken brake pedal pad. This is the small plastic/rubber part that makes contact between the brake pedal arm and the brake pedal switch. The original part is plastic, so it deteriorates over time. It will become brittle and fall apart, leaving enough of a gap between the brake pedal arm and the switch to cause problems. $7 at local autoparts.

When you replace the switch or the pad make sure the switch is fully pressed in when the brake is in the resting position, and conversely that the switch comes out fully when the pedal is fully pressed or you'll probably have issues with the cruise control coming off on even small bumps...

Good luck...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 02:57 PM
Site Founder/Administrator

Articles: 75
Garage
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
You are not correct on #1 as there are *two* switches on the clutch pedal

Upper: controls the "start if clutch in" protection

Lower: tells cruise control the clutch pedal is not engaged

and the chances of either switch themselves going out = super slim, they are after all just plain old dumb plunger switches, 99 times out of a 100 it'll be the pads that push against said switches:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	46505SA5000.jpg
Views:	803
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	73233  
knavekid and gatorback like this.

- Running Log, the trials and tribulations of building a car

echlonwarrior: "Hondabond saves lives"
K2sInteg98: "the best thing to do is keep spending and not keep count....lol"
dpaton: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions"
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the correction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 08:31 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i ended up finding a loose connector at the lower end of the cable reel. was just gonna replace but wasnt necessary.
airbags and a lot of other stuff got ripped off at one point so guy i got it from likely messed up when replacing.
dont need the used unit i bought for 20 clams so it's free to a good home if anybody needs it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 09:07 PM

@MorningZ, Is it possible to publish the name & par tnumber of the plastic part? Enter the bonus round with a link.

I am trying to visualize the part failure and would appreciate narration or markup of good diagram:

http://pix.toile-libre.org/upload/or...1544061921.png
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 10:42 AM
Site Founder/Administrator

Articles: 75
Garage
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorback View Post
I am trying to visualize the part failure and would appreciate narration or markup of good diagram:G]
Sorry for the delay in a response.

Part #:

As for their failure, the plastic pads provide the landing spot for these two plungers, when they break, the plunger has nothing to push-in/let-out against so:
- when the upper fails, the car is unaware that the clutch is pushed in to allow the car to start
- when the lower one fails, the cruise control thinking the clutch is pushed in, preventing operation

There is a third pad on the brake pedal and when the pad breaks/fails, your brake lights will stay on because the the plunger there is failing to manage them being on/off

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1544061921.png
Views:	163
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	80122  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page