Thickness Compressed .0625"
Port Size 1.875 x 1.375"

HONDA 18115-P30-013 (Nippon)
Multi-Layered Steel - 2 Ply
Thickness Unknown
Port Size Unknown

------------------------

ORIGINAL POST:
What type of exhaust Manifold gasket do you use, and whats the logic behind it?

Ive been using an oe-style (I think) multilayered gasket (2 steel layers with a coating and some softer spongy material in the core), but after pulling the header a few times its starting to spearate, and the mating surface isnt looking the best because of the material thats left on the head and bolt flange each time. So im looking to get a different type thats more durable, but not understanding the benefits or weaknesses of the other types (like Cosmetic or Copper). Ive gathered that they are one piece, so separation shouldnt be an issue, and that copper is softer than other materials, which should theoretically promote a better seal, but beyond that, I havent seen any clear-cut info to help me make the right choice.

Last edited by double b26; 06-07-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 11:50 PM

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I use a felpro all steel EM gasket. Pretty cheap (I think I paid like $20 for mine) and has held up to repeated removals and reinstalls of my EM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. Is that one if the multi layered ones, just all metal layers, instead of having the spongy stuff in the middle?

Are the copper and cosmetic multi layered also? I cant find any hard info but it looks like the cosmetic might be, and the copper prob not.

The price isnt a real big deal. I've sourced both copper and cosmetic (those two seem to be most expensive of the options) for less than $30. Im most concerned with the best combo of durability vs seal. If the MLS ones, like you mentioned, are just as good, im all for saving some coin, but for the differences in price, its bot that big of a deal.

EDIT: I like the idea of the cosmetic and copper having the raised lip around the port.. Just seems like it woukd be less prone to leaking with that design.

Was also wondering if the copper *should* be reused, or if its like a crush washer, which is supposed to be changed each time because of the soft material being smashed and not offering the same sealing quality after being torqued the first time. Any thoughts?

Last edited by double b26; 06-02-2016 at 01:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double b26 View Post
Thanks for the input. Is that one if the multi layered ones, just all metal layers, instead of having the spongy stuff in the middle?

Are the copper and cosmetic multi layered also? I cant find any hard info but it looks like the cosmetic might be, and the copper prob not.

The price isnt a real big deal. I've sourced both copper and cosmetic (those two seem to be most expensive of the options) for less than $30. Im most concerned with the best combo of durability vs seal. If the MLS ones, like you mentioned, are just as good, im all for saving some coin, but for the differences in price, its bot that big of a deal.

EDIT: I like the idea of the cosmetic and copper having the raised lip around the port.. Just seems like it woukd be less prone to leaking with that design.

Was also wondering if the copper *should* be reused, or if its like a crush washer, which is supposed to be changed each time because of the soft material being smashed and not offering the same sealing quality after being torqued the first time. Any thoughts?
Im not sure about the cosmetic gasket since all i use is copper, but you can reuse the gasket as long as it isn't visually damaged. Any deep scratches or creases will cause it to leak.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 02:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by double b26 View Post

Yes, the FelPro I use is a MSL (no graphite core), it also has the lip for getting a better seal. I'm not sure what category the one I use falls under, and I've had the gasket for so long that I no longer have the box it came in. I can tell you that I've removed and reinstalled my exhaust manifold right around 8 times with the same gasket and haven't had any issues out of it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 02:18 PM

Garage
This seems to be the same one I use: Amazon.com: Fel-Pro MS94602 Manifold Set: Automotive
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaterforeva1 View Post
Im not sure about the cosmetic gasket since all i use is copper, but you can reuse the gasket as long as it isn't visually damaged. Any deep scratches or creases will cause it to leak.
Im glad copper user chimed in because I was wondering...
1. What made you opt for copper?
2. Its a single layered design, is it not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuudoushi View Post
Yes, the FelPro I use is a MSL (no graphite core), it also has the lip for getting a better seal. I'm not sure what category the one I use falls under, and I've had the gasket for so long that I no longer have the box it came in. I can tell you that I've removed and reinstalled my exhaust manifold right around 8 times with the same gasket and haven't had any issues out of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuudoushi View Post
This seems to be the same one I use: Amazon.com: Fel-Pro MS94602 Manifold Set: Automotive
Thanks for the link and your experience
----------------
Here's what I've found as far as raw data goes. I added this to the OP for ease of reference in case anybody else needs this info. Let me know if you have anything to add ...

COSMETIC C4151-030
Multi-Layer Steel
Thickness Unknown
Port Size 1.850 x 1.340"

MR. GASKET 7230
Copper Single Layer
Thickness .043"
Port Size 1.980 x 1.470"

FELPRO MS94602
Multi-Layer Steel
Thickness Unknown
Port Size Unknown

REMFLEX 53-003
Graphite Core
Thickness Uncompressed .1250"
Thickness Compressed .0625"
Port Size 1.875 x 1.375"

HONDA 18115-P30-013 (Nippon)
Multi-Layered Steel - 2 Ply
Thickness Unknown
Port Size Unknown
Shuudoushi likes this.

Last edited by double b26; 06-07-2016 at 02:47 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page