Rear taillight gasket discussion - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By joron

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rear taillight gasket discussion

DMT Honda Improved Material 94 01 Acura 2dr Taillight Gasket Gaskets Set Pair | eBay

Anyone have any feedback or a review on these or recommend a brand/company who makes them better than factory
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 08:54 AM

Articles: 1
I haven't used them, but I plan to get the Detroit Muscle taillight gaskets for my RSX the next time I replace them base on this post:

https://www.team-integra.net/forum/11...ml#post3251665

I have found the OEM gaskets on my RSX get stiff and leak after about 5 years. Perhaps the material used by Detroit Muscle will hold up better. At this price, it is worth a try.

While surfing Team-Integra.net I listen to Pandora.com
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 09:17 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I compared the detroit muscle gaskets with the OEM gaskets that are about a year old and the detroit muscle gaskets are noticeably thicker than the oem gaskets. Mine weren't leaking from the gaskets this summer (previous summer they were moist/leaking) I was still getting a ton of leaks on the sides of my trunk.

The thread posted by @knavekid I believe also fixed my leak, I never replaced mine with oem (entered the wrong CC, lol) and am using the gaskets from Ace and it has rained a few times and my trunk has been dry. The original gaskets on those pieces broke apart when I took them off the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 10:23 AM

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
just a thought, since I have been researching sound deadening for my teg, I came across second skin audio OverKill Pro™ 9 sq. ft - 1 sheet - Second Skin Audio

This closed cell foam is probably the same foam as OEM but for 30 bucks at 9 sq ft. not a bad deal

Water leaks fixed for now. Working on getting body back to OEM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 09:09 PM

Garage
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
I used an old wet suit that I had laying around for my taillight gasket, its been 3 years so far so good.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 09:39 PM

I ordered and installed the DMT gaskets and am very impressed with the quality. They shipped quickly and solved my leaky taillight problem. Much less expensive than Acura OEM version. Recommend!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3172.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	66130  
knavekid and m_haiser like this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 08:18 PM

I have a taillight gasket leak , I DEFINETLY know its coming from the taillights. I ordered the Detroit muscle taillights and new Left and Right grommets, I put everything back together. Later I washed the car and again I have water in my trunk. I put them how they should go. Idk what I'm doing wrong mybe overtightening the bolts ? Do I have to use glue or something? How much do you have to tighten the little screws?

Last edited by blackandtanteg; 09-05-2016 at 09:08 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 07:32 PM

Articles: 1
Until you know exactly where the leak is, it will be hard to diagnose the problem. You might try removing the leaking taillight and see if you can see an area on the gasket that is not compressed where it might not be making a seal. If you can't see anything suspect, dust some talcum powder on both sides of the gasket before reinstalling the taillight. Put some paper towels around the inside of the car below the taillight to absorb any leakage. Pour water over the top of the taillight and observe the paper towels are getting wet. Then remove the taillights and see where any of the powder is wet or washed away. This should identify the path the water is taking.

Once you figure out the leak path, you can then figure out the fix.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knavekid View Post
Until you know exactly where the leak is, it will be hard to diagnose the problem. You might try removing the leaking taillight and see if you can see an area on the gasket that is not compressed where it might not be making a seal. If you can't see anything suspect, dust some talcum powder on both sides of the gasket before reinstalling the taillight. Put some paper towels around the inside of the car below the taillight to absorb any leakage. Pour water over the top of the taillight and observe the paper towels are getting wet. Then remove the taillights and see where any of the powder is wet or washed away. This should identify the path the water is taking.

Once you figure out the leak path, you can then figure out the fix.
I didn't do what you mentioned above because I put everything back on before I seen this post. Ill see if it leaks again next time I wash the car. I hand tightened the screws as tight as I can and I made sure the gasket was as flush as I can get it.
However I did notice when I took it off that inside the left taillight was water in it; also on the foam gaskets themselves they were wet. I also noticed when I put everything back when I look face down from the trunk area onto the taillights that the left taillight sticks out more than the right by just a little bit. Its the hard rubber piece I'm talking about on top of the taillight. I hope that makes sense. Only time will tell next wash.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 06:19 PM

just wanted to update my leak it was from the taillight lens, the gasket, rear windshield nozzle gasket, seal on the inside of trunk was cracked, and that's about it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page