New Member Help With Tune Up - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool New Member Help With Tune Up

Whats going on everyone! This is a long post so I purchased a 2000 Acura Integra LS 5 Speed coupe/hatchback a couple weeks ago. This isn't my first integra, my first one was a 1998 acura integral sedan GS model automatic transmission. Im really happy with the car its very clean and i got a really good price on it. Im also on the drive accord forum because thats my other car and its a great forum, i hope this one is to as well.

So i want to tune up the car, and need some help with the things i have in mind. The car was maintained at the dealership by the original owner. The timing belt and water pump was replaced at 77,000 miles according to the dealership records and the car is around 100,500 miles right now. Regular oil changes have been done there alignment and i assume checking the suspension as well. Its been detailed there inside and exterior.

So far what I've done to the car is new air filter, switched from convention oil to Mobil1 Advanced Full Synthetic oil as well with the Mobil1 oil filter, I cleaned the throttle plate/butterfly.

What else i have to do is i want to change the fuel filter to an oem one, MTF drain and refill with Acura MTF(is this ok to do, i know its ok to do on my accord, doesn't look like the MTF has ever been drain and refilled.) , change spark plugs (already bought them NGK Platinum same spark plug number from owners manual), change spark plug wires OEM ones, change power steering fluid,change clutch fluid, clean iacv, change brake fluid,change the belts, change antifreeze (still blue but just want to be safe), thats all i can think of right now if you know anything else i can do as part of maintenance PLEASE chime in.

My concerns right now! I looked at the spark plugs in the car and they look fine but the gap is to big so i bought new ones. I looked inside the spark plug seals and it looks like there is some oil around there but I don't think its getting onto the spark plugs. Since i put synthetic oil i want to see if it'll get into there because synthetic passes through more passages and cleans the motor a little. I don't want to put the new spark plugs i bought just incase that does happen.

My second concern is i think the idle is low. But this might be due to the worn out spark plug gap. Didn't put the new spark plugs i bought in yet. Also when i roll the windows down the idle goes down. Alternator is going bad probably?

My other concern is that i want to bleed the clutch fluid. It looks REALLY dirty since day 1, doesn't look like its ever been changed. Is it ok to bleed the clutch fluid if its just dirty? I have a friend that works on cars and went to auto school. He told me i shouldn't change the clutch fluid because on some cars you have to adjust the clutch before you bleed the clutch and if i change the clutch fluid it will feel different (in a bad way) and put more wear on the clutch. Is this true on our integras? He is basically trying to say just leave it alone and the only time you should bleed the clutch is when you replace the clutch or slave master cylinder.

Im sorry for this beefy post.. But i just like to do preventive maintenance and have my car running clean. If anyone has some input chime in THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Bump can any1 help me out?
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 06:20 PM

Garage
Congrats on the new purchase

Now use the search bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Ok I did use the search bar I think I found some info on the clutch fluid change. They said its ok to just bleed it. I'm pretty sure it's ok to just change ( just bleed it) without having to adjust the clutch. If you read what I wrote above is what I'm talking about. So i guess im in the clear? I just changed the brake fluid and flushed power steering today only fluid left is the MTF and I found a good how to.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 04:10 AM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Changing your Manual Transmission Fluid (GEN3) - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

What you are writing is confusing. Bleed the clutch at the slave cylinder. You change the MTF by draining it and refilling it.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Ok today I changed the clutch fluid with acura dot 3 brake fluid and changed spark plugs. I've been searching on is it ok to drain and refill MTF and all I've come across is the automatic trannys drain and refill and those threads are outdated. There have been mixed opinions on whether or not to drain and refill. My car is at 100k miles and it doesn't look like the MTF has ever been changed. Would it be alright to drain and refill it?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 01:00 AM

O my gosh bro I seriously just searched "transmission fluid" and 90% of the first articles that popped up clearly said to do it and some gave recommendations on which fluid. Is there something we don't understand about your question?? Because that's super easy to find.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 01:02 AM

And did you not see the link @labelhunter provided?!?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 06:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandtanteg View Post
My car is at 100k miles and it doesn't look like the MTF has ever been changed. Would it be alright to drain and refill it?
Good lord... if it looks that bad, there should be no question, drain and fill that sucker!

2008 Subaru Forester 2.5X
2005 Subaru WRB STi
2000 Integra Type R #685
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b18c5rjdm View Post
Good lord... if it looks that bad, there should be no question, drain and fill that sucker!
But how is he looking at it without draining it? lol
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 07:35 AM

Garage
Just for peace of mind, I would flush and fill ALL fluids if it's a used car.
Good that you have records, but just that warm and fuzzy feeling, knowing all that is done is worth the money. How's the inside of your distributor cap look? That's another fairly cheap item to replace...
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

That article doesn't mention anything about high mileage and drawing and refilling it. Other articles I found had mixed opinions on doing so but thanks for the help guys.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandtanteg View Post
That article doesn't mention anything about high mileage and drawing and refilling it. Other articles I found had mixed opinions on doing so but thanks for the help guys.

What? drain hole and fill hole. Not rocket science.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

I replaced the Mtf with acura mtf I'm pretty sure its the same exact thing as honda mtf. Does any1 else use acura mtf? And the only other fluid i didn't replace is coolant which I'll get to. I broke all the bolts loose and drained the mtf fluid then tightened them. I left the fill plug open ran a tube in there to a funnel and filled it up until it started to drip then tightened it. I made sure the car was pretty level. I drove around the neighborhood and it shifted fine. After I tightened the bolts I checked to see if there were leaks there were none. One thing I noticed is after my coolant fans came on twice I believe my idle went up a little because I put new spark plugs in yesterday and cleaned iacv. Hopefully it did the idle relearn and it's idling pretty smooth now so I hope it stays like that. I haven't checked inside the distributor but I will do when I get oem spark plug wires it was around 72$ at the dealership. Thanks for all the help guys! Really appreciate it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page