Car rear ended. Not totalled but what to do. - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Car rear ended. Not totalled but what to do.

As the title says my sons car got rear ended the other day.
Did enough damage to the reinforcement beam and the left panels in the rear that estimates are coming in near $2K.
This is a 2000 GS with about 155K miles on it.
Im torn as to what to do with the car.
Fix?, Sell as is? Part out?
its actually very drivable but in order to get a new bumper cover put on the frame will need to be pulled out and that will be expensive.
My son is not completely in love with the car anyway. Weve had it for 4 years and put about 35K miles on it.
Im not really interested in paying 2000 dollars to fix a car when I could put that towards something else.
Would like some feedback on what others have done.

Thanks,

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 01:35 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerg1 View Post
As the title says my sons car got rear ended the other day.
Did enough damage to the reinforcement beam and the left panels in the rear that estimates are coming in near $2K.
This is a 2000 GS with about 155K miles on it.
Im torn as to what to do with the car.
Fix?, Sell as is? Part out?
its actually very drivable but in order to get a new bumper cover put on the frame will need to be pulled out and that will be expensive.
My son is not completely in love with the car anyway. Weve had it for 4 years and put about 35K miles on it.
Im not really interested in paying 2000 dollars to fix a car when I could put that towards something else.
Would like some feedback on what others have done.
Thanks,

Greg
sell it and get a hold of a better one
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 02:06 PM

Or you can part it out possibly make more than $2000 grand of parts..then scrap the shell...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Articles: 1
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
You should be able to have the body pulled enough to get the trunk to seal and the bumper cover back on for $500 +/-. Shop around a little. Spend a few weekends and do the body work yourself, and the car will be back to clean enough you can sell it for a reasonable amount. Or keep it as a toy.

95 EJ1 Milano RIP/died/sold -> 98 DB7 CSM RIP/totalled -> 97 DB7 CSM Awful. Sold it back. -> 01 DB8 YR525M RIP/totalled -> 06 Civic LX daily -> 1991 CRX HF (YT)

Integra friends are the best friends.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 03:53 PM

let whoever hit you's insurance pay to get it fixed?

2002 S2000 - Sebring Silver Metallic - FIPK, Pioneer MVH-X560BT HU, Alpine KTP445U amp, Kenwood 2-ways, "Rockville" powered sub
2001 Integra GS-R - Nighthawk Black Pearl - Progress CSIIs, JDM B20B while I rebuild the tired oil burner B18C1
2015 Accord SPORT - Crystal Black Pearl - 6mt -bone stock
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 06:14 PM

Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Take the $2k and then sell the car or part it out. You could end up with $5k or so if you part the shell out. That's enough to buy a really nice DC2 or upgrade to a decent RSX.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebox_civic View Post
let whoever hit you's insurance pay to get it fixed?
if it were their fault I would. Unfortunately my son pulled out in front of the other person. Granted there was enough room for them to slow down had they been near the speed limit and the intersection wasnt right on the end of a large corner. And if the road had not been wet.
All in all perfect conditions for a wreck.

Greg
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaton View Post
You should be able to have the body pulled enough to get the trunk to seal and the bumper cover back on for $500 +/-. Shop around a little. Spend a few weekends and do the body work yourself, and the car will be back to clean enough you can sell it for a reasonable amount. Or keep it as a toy.
so far the 2 quotes ive had were near 2K due to the damage done. Ive lined up another for tomorrow.
Seems the reinforcement beam at the corner is pushed well into the frame piece causing some concern.
Also Ive found out the car was damaged on the rear bumper before and nicely pieced together by the person who had it before me. (nicely was sarcastic).
Shame on me for not doing a better job getting it examined before purchase.

Greg
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 03:08 PM

$2k and they didn't total it out?!?! Have you had an insurance adjuster look at it yet?

Last year I was driving behind a tow truck and a Car dolly flew out of the back of that thing my car ran it over(Damaged my driver fender, bumper, ripped my carbon lip into pieces, broke front LCA, I was getting quoted $1700) And the adjuster said a lil bit more damage and he would file it as a total loss.

In my eyes that's your best bet to shoot for. That way they pay you out for the car and you can still fix it and sell it or just part it out but at least you have the $$$ cushion from the total loss to go get another teggy.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=MxRider;3209426]$2k and they didn't total it out?!?! Have you had an insurance adjuster look at it yet?

Last year I was driving behind a tow truck and a Car dolly flew out of the back of that thing my car ran it over(Damaged my driver fender, bumper, ripped my carbon lip into pieces, broke front LCA, I was getting quoted $1700) And the adjuster said a lil bit more damage and he would file it as a total loss.

In my eyes that's your best bet to shoot for. That way they pay you out for the car and you can still fix it and sell it or just part it out but at least you have the $$$ cushion from the total loss to go get another teggy.[/QUOTE

I appreciate the responses. Maybe I forgot to mention.
We carry liability only.
Car was paid for in cash and since the value of the car is barely more than 2500 no sense in carrying collision.
Well at least I thought until now.

Greg
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 09:29 AM

Feedback Score: 16 reviews
$2k should be nowhere near totaled. My 98 LS with ~150k just got hit for almost $2.3k in damages and wasn't totaled. I wouldn't worry about it totaling out until $3k+. Depends on the state/location though.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 11:30 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
OP...I hear you, as our LS was rear-ended. The initial estimate was $2,200 but the final repair was $3,100. Then the spare tire compartment leaked.
So, if you are paying for all of the repairs, you should cut your ties with this Integra, post some photos (on this site), to see if someone will give you $500 for it "as is".
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballrox10 View Post
$2k should be nowhere near totaled. My 98 LS with ~150k just got hit for almost $2.3k in damages and wasn't totaled. I wouldn't worry about it totaling out until $3k+. Depends on the state/location though.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Your '98 in excellent condition which only 3% of cars are in "Excellent" Standards by KBB only Blue books for $2374, Therefor your car can be a total loss at even $2000 if the damage is in the right spot.

So If I were you I would be calling that adjuster back.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 07:28 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I would sell the car or accept the payout from insurance. There are other Integras out there that need a good home.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page