ugh, car wont crank over! please help - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ugh, car wont crank over! please help

alright so car has been running fine, i changed my distributor cap and rotor as soon as i got the car because the guy who sold it to me had a non GSR model cap and rotor on it, changed the rear engine mount because that seemed to be an issue.. now i just went to the grocerie store in it with my 5 year old son and as im pulling into the parking spot it puttered and cut off.... now it wont start..it is cranking and all electronics are coming on but it wont fire up and drive.. i had to walk back home carrying my son and am literally lost. im gonna guess its fuel pump or possibly injectors but i have heard of people having ignition problems with these cars before..does anyone have an idea on what this could be???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 06:16 PM

Garage
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamthepoetry View Post
alright so car has been running fine, i changed my distributor cap and rotor as soon as i got the car because the guy who sold it to me had a non GSR model cap and rotor on it, changed the rear engine mount because that seemed to be an issue.. now i just went to the grocerie store in it with my 5 year old son and as im pulling into the parking spot it puttered and cut off.... now it wont start..it is cranking and all electronics are coming on but it wont fire up and drive.. i had to walk back home carrying my son and am literally lost. im gonna guess its fuel pump or possibly injectors but i have heard of people having ignition problems with these cars before..does anyone have an idea on what this could be???

First, make sure you get your title correct. You state that the car "won't crank over", but then you state that it's "cranking and all electronics are coming on..."

If an engine is physically spinning when you go to start, it's cranking. Not starting is a different issue.

Anyways, first thing I suspect is that your rotor screw came loose. Pull the cap, and check to see if the rotor inside is spinning freely on the distributor shaft. If it is, that's your problem.

770whp/500wtq @31psi E85

2013 Carlisle P&S 1st Place Acura Integra Class Winner
2011 Carlisle P&S 1st Place Acura Integra Class Winner

2010 Carlisle P&S 1st Place Acura Class Winner
2009 Carlisle P&S 2nd Place Acura Class Winner
2007 Tuner-Evolution 1st Place Acura Class Winner

Click Me: Check Out My Build Thread - From Stock to 770WHP
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

well i stated it that way because on all the posts i have found on "no start" people are saying their car isnt doing anything not even trying to start, i was just trying to skip past the "only electronics come on" part. in the morning im going to try to see if you are right about the rotor, im hoping its an issue that i can at least start it up and get it moved to my house seeing as how now it is stuck in a grocerie store parking lot and i only live a block away from the store.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

now for what may seem like a stupid question, if the rotor is in fact spinning freely how would i go about making sure i tighten it back down in the right spot. since i had to crank the motor to get it to spin around to take the old rotor off, if it is spinning freely and not set where it is supposed to be how do i know when i have it in the right position to tighten it down to the distributor shaft? or does it not matter?

FYI this is my first time ever working on ANY ignition problems with a car besides starters, ive changed clutches, a tranny in my mk3, hell even rebuild most of a 13b, but always had someone with expertise to help me with ignition problems..now im on my own

Last edited by screamthepoetry; 03-15-2015 at 11:25 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 01:32 AM

Garage
The set screw will only screw in to the only screw hole on the shaft
If you pull the rotor and don't see the screw you will need to do a quick 1 second crank to get it to show up (shouldn't take more than 3 tries)
There are also rotors that go on and off without using the set screw (I'm not a fan of these) I realized I had one on mine while switching out my coil a few months ago
There's alot to look into with a no start problem, start with the distributor (all components) and report back
Advanced Ignition Troubleshooting - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 06:29 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
coil and icm will bite you on the ass eventually. get something with th e <3 at rock auto and keep in the glovebox. learn all the ignition system tests as it's the weakest link.

Starting Problems
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

welp got off work this morning, went to the grocerie store it was broke down at, tried to turn it over to see if by some miracle it would work, no go doing the same thing, so popped the hood pulled off the distributor cap, checked the rotor, seemed to be on there fine, set screw still in place, noticed black residue on the contact point on the rotor, cleaned it off, put distributor cap back on, made sure all the plugs were secure, and boom fired up...lol not sure what exactly the issue is, i wouldnt imagine a little black heat residue would cause it to not start, the only other thing i can think off is maybe my CAI hit one of the plug wires just enough to cause it to not fire correctly??? ive turned it off and back on again with no problems, im still thinking i need to go ahead and change coil and ICM, and learn to work with it all since this is a project i want to work on first hand, anyone think going with an MSD setup would be worth it, my cars still NA but i wouldnt imagine it would cause any issues getting it now and boosting later would it?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 09:37 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I my self and many other people have seen non OEM ignition components cause all kinds of strange things. The first thing you should do is go to the dealer and get an OEM cap and rotor, spark plugs, and wires. Its a little pricier but much better in the long run. And don't bother with MSD. The factory ignition system will hold up to around 600hp. With the exception of changing spark plugs.

1996 Integra LS SE Sedan Daily Driver
My DB's Running Log
My FS/FT Thread
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

well this rotor and cap is OEM thats on it, i just changed it when i bought the car because the idiot i bought it from had a cap and rotor from a non GSR integra on it, the cap was only held on by one bolt because it didnt even fit. im thinking im gonna go ahead and get a whole new distributor and starter though, might not need it right now but in the long run might save me a headache. thanks for the advice on the MSD though

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page