Engine stuttering, white smoke and gas smell from exhaust... - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine stuttering, white smoke and gas smell from exhaust...

Can't get ahead lately, just one problem after another...

For background, I own a 2000 integra LS that some idiot decided to throw a stock B16A2 into, as far as I know nothing else under the hood was changed that would affect the engine.

Today, I started the car up fine, sounded fine, ran fine. As the engine warmed up, periodically the engine would start to stutter and the harder I hit the gas, the louder it got but I got very little power to the wheels. And it would just go away. After about 15 minutes, when I was almost to where I was going, it started and wouldn't stop. Now when I started the car not long after (Engine was still warm, but not quite operating temp) it started rough and continued stuttering in idle and when gas'ed. I also noticed white smoke coming from the exhaust only (that I could tell) and a strong gasoline odor.

After about an hour of research I have found A LOT of postings around the web pointing this to either a blown gasket or a cracked head, allow coolant to leak into the cylinders (causing the white smoke/steam), which may also cause the O2 sensor to go haywire and inject more fuel, causing the gasoline smell.

I did find somewhere, however, that this same issue could be caused by bad fuel injector(s), is this possible? How could I diagnose this?

Anything would be appreciated,
-Murph

Last edited by murph924; 05-04-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 11:39 AM

A bad injector can get stuck open and dump more fuel in. But its not going to explain the white smoke. I'd suspect head gasket. I'd pull the head off if it was me.

98 Integra Type R - Running Log
88 Ram 50 w/4g63t - Under the Hood Video
04 Jeep Laredo
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 11:42 AM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
x2 ^
Drain and check coolant and oil

"When life throws you a curve, downshift and take it hard"
https://www.team-integra.net/forum/20...ld-update.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Stuttering is still apparent on a cold start now...
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 02:23 PM

Have you checked the fluids yet? If the coolant is brown in color then ur looking at a blown HG
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

You know, I did check the coolant, and it did look kind of brown but I figured it was the discolored container tinting it, so I blew it off.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 05:16 PM

If it has a rusty looking color to it, like what you would see on the rotors after it has sit for a while, then that's the radiator going bad do to only running water. But if it has a brown-ish/black-ish color then thats oil mixing with the coolant as it passes thru the block. Which in turn means blown HG.

Time to open her up, and also the perfect time to build her up if that's what you had planned...
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

So far it seems the coolant just looked brown because of the pinkish coolant mixing with the dingy color of the container, went ahead and drained and flushed it anyway and put new stuff in it.

Absolutely no "milky" anything in the oil after multiple checks of the dipstick from cold to warm.

Checked the distributor, which is supposed to be less than a year old, and it looks fine.

Checked all the spark plugs, one of them came out really wet and smelling of gas (not oil).

Theory right now is bad injector, possibly just staying open and flooding the engine with gas, causing the rich smell from the exhaust.

Won't be able to work on it again until next weekend though. Any thoughts are welcome.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 03:06 PM

I'd swap the injector over and see if the same problem starts happening in a different cylinder.

It still can be a head gasket leak. The water stops the fuel being burnt, creating wet/gasoline smelling plugs.

Swap the injectors, and if the "wetness" changes cylinders then you've got an injector problem.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 03:14 PM

Have you checked for spark? not firing in one cylinder will cause that plug to be soaked in fuel also. Do you have any DTC's?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

They all spark, including the wet one.

I removed the injectors and one looked way different from the rest:

I replaced it, but when i reassembled everything I have a leak, and I appear to be missing a seal. I don't have a clue what this is even called and spent the last 45 minutes searching for diagrams or anything i could use to identify the name of this to look up the seal, but can't find crap.

I can see where something should belong in that ring, it must have fallen out when I removed it from the fuel rail. So any idea what it's called? Or even better, the name of the seal itself?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 04:44 PM

That's the fuel pressure regulator.

The O-ring I think you need is: 7. 16741-PG7-005 O-RING, PRESSURE REGULATOR:
http://www.hondapartsnow.com/Page_Pr...%20%28V-TEC%29
I haven't ordered from there, it's just for a reference.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Well, leak fixed.

New injector to replace funky looking one.

The only change is the sound from the exhaust is much deeper, still sounds very rough and gives little power to the wheels.

Can only make out a very small puff of the white smoke but the exhaust still smells gasy and just seems to be running rich.

I've been told by a lot of people that unless the oil is milky it is not a head gasket issue, and it's not milky.

Any other ideas or am I SOL and need to go to a shop...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page