Engine stuttering, white smoke and gas smell from exhaust... - Page 2 - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 04:43 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I had an issue like this with my 94 LS with 284k miles. I solved it by retorquing the head.

I rebuilt my engine and things were working fine. At maybe 500-600 on the rebuild it sputtered on startup and took maybe 15 seconds to clear out and run normally.

Then it wouldn't start after shutting it down when hot. If I left it sit all night and it was cool it would start but sputter and them steam slightly out of the exhaust for a few minutes.

If it wouldn't start I could pull the plugs and clean them of the coolant which was fouling them. Another thread said that the head was under torqued.

In my case, I reused the head bolts. The threaded bolts holes and the bolt threads were totally clean and dry when I installed them. I noticed when torqueing them that they made a few little creaks right before full torque. My machinist/mechanical engineering friend said that this was friction on the threads and was preventing the bolts from creating the full clamping force on the head.

So I pulled them out and oiled and torques them one-by-one starting with the last bolt in the tightening sequence. This has apparently solved the problem. The car starts normally after hot shutdown.

I didn't have any other problems associated with blown head gaskets like oil/coolant mixing or rough running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in