exhaust after-rev-rattle? - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Put on my greddy evo2 cat back yesterday and I can rev it a lil (not past 3000) and itll rev, then have a little after rattle. When I drive it does the same but if I rev it a ton while sitting itll rattle at the same time. Inside the car it's super loud. Know what it could be rubbin on or is something inside the muffler? already took cat heatshield off from rattles awhile back. and it didnt rattle like this when I had on my stock exhaust.

Selling 2oz bottle of Cypress Green pearl (exact color of lots of tegs) touch up paint also 1/2oz bottle of clear coat for the touch up paint.-accidently ordered two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 09:47 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
dude i have the same problem. i got a stiffy, to brace my engine. and i also got a type r header brace. a lot less rattle but its still there.

Going JDM
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Make certain it is not your catalytic converter heatshield.

Also make sure that you aren't rubbing somewhere on the chassis with the exhaust.

Also check for exhaust leaks by just running your hand along the length of the exhaust while the car is running...you will feel air escaping if you have a leak.

2012 Mitsubishi Evolution X - 355 awhp / 350 awtq. Stock Turbo
2015 Lexus NX200T - Wife's Daily
2004 Honda Accord EX-L - Daily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 10:35 AM

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
i had this problem. make sure the exhaust is tight as hell when hooked up to the cat..... i found out by putting the car up on jacks and going under and having my little cousin rev it for me lol

-TEAMSFM- New Member: Nikki Honda-Tech #0720 | FHC #001 | JDMSouth #001
[/B]
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 02:12 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
There are a lot of heat shields under there. Pinpoint where it's coming from by having a friend rev the car up and hold the throttle where its rattling while you track it down (be safe!).

There's an exhaust manifold heat shield, one around the cat (which comes loose a lot, I just ripped mine off), one bolted to the chassis above the mid-pipe right past the cat, and another bolted to the chassis above the resonator in the midpipe (again, past the cat).

And those are just the ones that you definitely still have on your car. There's one above the muffler in the stock exhaust system, and one right before the resonator as well.

If it's the cat heat shield (which i'm going to bank on). You have a few options:

-Grab some large heavy duty hose clamps at the hardware store and tighten them around the cat to shut the heat shield up.

-Rip the thing off. Be advised that the O2 sensors go *through* the top part of the heat shield, and they're pretty tough to get off. When I ripped my heat shield off, I opted to use a cutting wheel to sheer the bolts off and slice right through the top heat shield to get it past the O2 sensors. It was easier than trying to fight with both sensors.

The shields that are bolted to the body of the car aren't as easy to remove because the exhaust pipes block most of the bolts you need to take out to get them off the car. The exhaust manifold shield just plain rattles, I haven't figured out a fix for that, and i'm afraid to take that one off and melt my fans or wiring.

Hope that helps.

-Nick

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 02:15 PM

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
man it's just your exhaust tip hitting your rear bumper its doing the same thing to me and i have skunk2 catback
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 02:51 PM

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by integra_boy94 on May/12/07
man it's just your exhaust tip hitting your rear bumper its doing the same thing to me and i have skunk2 catback
not really, the bumper is abs plastic, and the muffler is metal, wouldn't really create a metal sounding rattle, plus after about two hours of driving, the tip of the muffler melts the plastic around it enough to form a little 'mold' in the plastic, at least mine did when i put on my skunk2

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 03:06 PM

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
just try what i said...and make sure your little cousin knows what "dont redline" means lmao
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 03:53 PM

if its after a certain RPM, i would suggest checking for an exhaust leak. Could be small and overlooked during the install.

603 even in the shadow of the valley of death two and two do not make six. - tolstoy
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 04:06 PM

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
If you remove the Heatsheild You can replace it with Heat Barrier Tape... It is Made with Carbon Fiber and an aluminum like shiny tape...

This will shield Heat up to 1600 degrees Keeps the Shifter from heating Up and also keeps the Heat from coming into the CABIN
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 04:14 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
ZodiacR279 has a good idea. For me its the same thing and its my Cat. I have a replacement right now, Magnaflow Cat, but to lazy to install it. I hate that little rattle also and I have had it for some time now. With my Holly Thunder Muff Catback I cant hear it as much but its still there. I know this has been discussed so many times already though.

Have someone help you by reving your engine while you are down there. As always make sure you use jack stands or a lift to check it out. You should be able to tell where the noise is coming from.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 07:48 PM

Here's one for you guys, on my car the rattle happens at about 2500 rpm, it's coming from the cat/header joint (where the spring kits are). I have no heat shields at all, and a high-flow cat. If I use a spring kit on the flanges, rattle, if I use staight bolts, no rattle. But with no spring kits the exhaust can't flex and you can break the header. Any suggestions?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 08:02 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzah_blade on May/12/07
Quote: integra_boy94 on May/12/07man it's just your exhaust tip hitting your rear bumper its doing the same thing to me and i have skunk2 catback

not really, the bumper is abs plastic, and the muffler is metal, wouldn't really create a metal sounding rattle, plus after about two hours of driving, the tip of the muffler melts the plastic around it enough to form a little 'mold' in the plastic, at least mine did when i put on my skunk2
lol um yeah it can make a nasty noise hitting ur bumper my hks hit and made the worst noise ever. then i had a guy adjust the hangers and the problem went away. on another note if that exhaust hits the shields its horrible to my 93 DA had a thermal R&D exhaust and it was for a 90 to 91 some how shorter so it hit all the time.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevendale View Post
Here's one for you guys, on my car the rattle happens at about 2500 rpm, it's coming from the cat/header joint (where the spring kits are). I have no heat shields at all, and a high-flow cat. If I use a spring kit on the flanges, rattle, if I use staight bolts, no rattle. But with no spring kits the exhaust can't flex and you can break the header. Any suggestions?
depending on your welding skills and what you prefer you could buy a flex pipe and weld it in, mine cost $35 from a local muffler shop... or buy new springs, washers, bolts ect. what it might be is that gasket has worn out and you need to replace it...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in