Shift Cable Bushing Repair (Gen4 RSX) - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By knavekid

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Articles: 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Shift Cable Bushing Repair (Gen4 RSX)

If your cable shifter has a lot of play fore and aft, its bushing has deteriorated and there is no part from Honda to repair it unless you want to replace the shift cables. This DIY repair replaces the bushing in the existing cable.

Noisy shifter with lots of play:

Source of this problem:

First, you need to get a replacement bushing to fit the shaft and cable end. I measured the shaft diameter to be 0.317”. The inside of the cable end is 0.394” and its width is 0.235”.

The bushing size needed is 3/8” outside diameter and a 5/16” inside diameter by about 1/4" wide. I purchased some 3/8” diameter Teflon PTFE tubing with a 1/4” inside diameter and drilled it out to 5/16”. I then used a plastic washer between the shaft mount and the cable end. The tubing I used is no longer available from the supplier. However, if I were to do this again I would purchase one of these bearing components:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#6627K409

Note that the inside diameter might be a little tight. You can use a drill to open the diameter up a bit or cut it lengthwise to allow it to slide over the shaft.

Once you have the components, follow the steps below:
  1. Remove the shift knob by tugging down on the boot ring to disconnect it and then unscrew the knob.
  2. Remove the shifter cover. Open the cup holder and tug upward on the shifter cover and then carefully pulling up on the sides to free the retaining clips.
  3. The shift cable is connected to a shaft on the shift lever. Rocking the shift lever fore and aft will expose any play in this connection. You will likely see debris from the failed bushing at the base of the shift lever. See photo 1.
  4. Remove the cotter pin that retains the washer and cable end on the shaft.
  5. Remove and inspect the retaining washer which is steel with plastic on one side.
  6. Slide the cable end off of the shaft and wipe off any debris from the shaft and inside the cable end. See photo 2.
  7. Slide the plastic washer onto the shaft followed by the bushing. If using a flanged sleeve bearing like the component from McMaster-Carr, slide the bearing onto the shaft flange-side first. See photos 3 and 4.
  8. Apply some lithium grease to the bushing and then slide the cable end onto the shaft. See photos 5 and 6.
  9. Apply some lithium grease to the side of the cable end and slide the retaining washer onto the shaft, plastic side first.
  10. Insert the cotter pin and bend the ends around either side of the shaft. See photo 7 and video below.
  11. Replace the shifter cover and reinstall the shift knob.

This completes the repair.

No more play:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1_bad bushing (Medium).JPG
Views:	74
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	79496   Click image for larger version

Name:	2_cleaned up (Medium).JPG
Views:	50
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	79498   Click image for larger version

Name:	3_parts (Medium).JPG
Views:	64
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	79500   Click image for larger version

Name:	4_parts on shaft (Medium).JPG
Views:	154
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	79502   Click image for larger version

Name:	5_ grease and install (Medium).JPG
Views:	61
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	79504  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6_cable installed (Medium).JPG
Views:	91
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	79506   Click image for larger version

Name:	7_repair compete (Medium).JPG
Views:	53
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	79508  
MorningZ and macura2001 like this.

While surfing Team-Integra.net I listen to Pandora.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Articles: 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Moderator: Please make this an article. I couldn't figure out how to submit this as an article or blog post. Thanks!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 08:13 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
nice job, I ended up replacing the cable both times a few years back on my sister's and on my old 7th gen civic when I had this problem. I was initially pissed about not having a separate bushing for this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page