Team Integra Forums banner

Running Log: Drache's GSR - Broken Rear Endlink

16K views 80 replies 16 participants last post by  Drache 
#1 · (Edited)
Finally introducing myself here. First found this site three years ago, when I was having troubles with my Gen 1. Found this place to be rather helpful then.

I became a member, two years ago, a few months after I bought my DC2. I love this car! I found it at a dealership in Columbus. It was a one-owner car with just 67,064 miles on it. It had recently been in a fender bender. The left fender, hood and bumper cover had been replaced before it went on the lot. The only other problem, that I noticed at the time, was the left tie rod end.

Over the next two months, I found two other issues. When I went to adjust my headlights, I found the mounting tabs on the left to be broken - victim of the accident, they left, rather than replacing. The other issue was a stuck rear caliper. It would be another couple of months before I would notice the third, and most expensive issue - the unprimered aftermarket bumper cover. Sadly, this is the only picture I have of it, before the Attack of the Nun. As you can see, a large portion of the bumper is without paint.

Then:

Engine:
Bone Stock B18C1
K&N SRI
USDM ITR transmisssion
ACT HD G6 clutch
Exedy 9.5-lb flywheel

Exterior:
Carbon Creations OEM-style CF Hood
Aerocatch hood pins w/Password:JDM mounting kit
Sidemarkers wired as turn signals only
OEM SiR-G Fogs
Honda Access window visors

Interior:
JDM Recaro SRD's

Wheels/Tires:
Winter - OEM Snowflakes / Bridgestone Blizzaks
Summer - 16x7 +45 Rota Subzero / Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 205/45-16

Brakes:
Stoptech slotted/cross-drilled rotors
Hawk HPS pads

Suspension:
Koni Yellow / Ground Control 430f/300r
ASR Subframe brace
ASR 24mm swaybar
Function7 rear LCA's

Now (3/21/12):

See less See more
#4 ·
So, here's what happened. I'm going to Best Buy, getting ready to turn left into the parking lot (green arrow). Next to me is an over-sized SUV, turning right (black arrow). Waiting to turn left, is a nun in a blue Focus (blue arrow).

Now, it's hard to tell from the aerial photo, but that drive is really tight. So, the nun gets spooked by the SUV bearing down on her, doesn't see me on the other side of it, and slams the throttle, avoiding one accident, to get into another. We go into the store, exchange info, and go our separate ways. She readily admitted fault, and luckily, her insurance company gave me zero hassles. $5k later, I have a new rear quarter and rocker panel, a used door, and one third of my car freshly painted. While it was in, I also had them repaint that bumper cover.

#6 ·
Yeah, that was a bummer of a day. I was behind you and saw the whole thing. She said she was a Nun and I thought she was full of it. I was like; "Yeah, right lady!" She did not look like one because she was not in any Nun clothing. It was the luckiest accident a person could ever get into because it was the most honest one! Most people just drive off and ditch all the info. and hassles. I apologized to the lady about my disbelief and everything turned out great in the end. I was so scared and was hoping that you where safe and not hurt. It happened so quickly. It felt so unreal. The car looks awesome now. Love the fog lights.

#7 ·
Yeah, overall it was a win. Though I wasn't terribly happy about being without my Teg, for nearly a month, no one was hurt. And if the SUV had hit her, she most certainly would have been injured. So, I guess the Teg took one for the team!

Here a few pics from last summer's vacation, taken in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park, and near fontana Dam.

A couple more, on the Dragon, taken by Moonshine Photos.

The woman in the pics is my girlfriend, Amy. Last year she played in-car photographer. She had so much fun, she just had to have her own Teg for this year's Dragon Run. Back in February, we found a clean, but slightly damaged DB8. She's got her own thread now.

#8 ·
I can not wait until it is time to drive on the Dragon Run this year
Still counting the days.
We got really lucky finding my car! It is nice and clean, no rust spots. I love it!

Playing the in-car photographer was a lot of fun!
We where able to get photos that in separate vehicles we would not have been able to get. (Obviously)

This year is going to awesome!

#9 ·
Some pictures of the foglight install, I did a couple of months ago.

Bumper cover off

Didn't know this had holes in it

Had intended to solder the wires, but couldn't locate my iron

Both lights in, wiring routed

Into the engine bay with the rest of the wires

Helm's manual showed the ground going to the bolt behind the reservoir. I used the bolt in front.

Finished product! No night shots yet.

#14 ·
I've put together a shopping list of hardware I need for the suspension. The idea is to have the Koni/GC setup assembled, before the car goes in the air. Please, let me know if there is something I've forgotten/overlooked.

Front end - the Koni and GC packages came with replacements for parts 18, 6, 14, 11, 10 and 15. I plan to order:
7 - 51631-SH0-003
12- 51687-SR0-A02
16- 52722-SE0-006
17- 90304-SR3-014
9 - 51675-SR0-004

Rear end - the ASR kit comes with everything I need (I think). the Koni and GC packages came with replacements for parts 21, 1, 4, 12, 3 and 15. I plan to order:
17- 52725-SR0-003
20- 90304-SR3-014
19- 90172-SK7-A01
16- 52722-SR3-003
13- 52687-SR3-003
11- 52675-SR0-003

and

34- 90173-SR3-003
35- 90173-SR3-003
in the second pic, for the lca's.

#15 ·
MorningZ on Sep/07/10 said:
What about a new seat?
What ever happened with all that?

and oooh la la.... S80 = LSD = awesome !!!
Lol...ah yes, the busted seat!
Still shopping for a new one. For the moment, I've swapped my broken back with one I picked up at a scrap yard for $25. For those that don't know, during this year's Dragon Run, my driver's seat-back snapped. Thankfully, it happened at a gas station - not on the Dragon. Managed to drive it back to the cabin from Robbinsville. With a drill and hardware from Steve (thanks, again!), my brother managed to put a band-aid on it. Definitely a short-term fix - I do not recommend something like this for more than a week! Note in the second picture, the blots holding it together have started to bend. These pics were taken on day 8, when we finally replaced the back.

#16 ·
"I plan to order:
7 - 51631-SH0-003
12- 51687-SR0-A02
16- 52722-SE0-006
17- 90304-SR3-014
9 - 51675-SR0-004"

is there any compelling reason to order all those?DEFINITELY recommend replacing the bushings (#16) but the other parts/bolts should be all good on your car

unless 7, 9, 12, and 17 are somehow damaged, they should be all good despite their 15 years of use

#17 ·
MorningZ on Sep/08/10 said:
"I plan to order:
7 - 51631-SH0-003
12- 51687-SR0-A02
16- 52722-SE0-006
17- 90304-SR3-014
9 - 51675-SR0-004"

is there any compelling reason to order all those?DEFINITELY recommend replacing the bushings (#16) but the other parts/bolts should be all good on your car

unless 7, 9, 12, and 17 are somehow damaged, they should be all good despite their 15 years of use
I figured I could probably get away with reusing most of them, but I would like to have the shocks and coilovers assembled before i put the car on stands.

#18 ·
If you decide to go aftermarket with the seat, I have a seat rail for the teg, and depending on price offered, the sparco EVO III that's attached may be for sale.

Lemme know if you're interested.

#23 ·
Dropped the Teg off, Thursday evening; got it back Friday. Would love to have done the work myself, but it's my DD, and I have no prior transmission experience. So, I wasn't comfortable tackling this job.

Wow! What a difference! Over the last five days, I've felt like a kid, learning to drive a stick, all over again - minus the stalling. The parts I'm having trouble with: starting from a stop, and shifting into second.

The 6-puck clutch grabs RIGHT NOW!!! That can make for some less-than-smooth starts, but I'm learning.

Second gear, depending on how far you wind first, starts 250-500 RPM's higher than the GSR tranny. Add to that the lighter fly wheel, and it takes a bit more throttle modulation to smooth out the shift.

Don't get me wrong. These are not complaints - just notes. This may be the best upgrade I've done, to date. Though I'm trying to be nice to it, for the first few hundred miles, the butt dyno tells me there is a difference in acceleration - most noticeable in second. And the LSD has already caught me by surprise, on a couple occasions. Looking forward to getting her out for AutoX again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.