Team Integra Forums banner

Melt's 5-spd Swap log: complete

247K views 303 replies 88 participants last post by  macura2001 
#1 · (Edited)
*9-20-07 Update on page 6*

This build log is all about my adventures in converting my sad, slow teg from an auto to a 5-speed.

Please be warned there will be tons of text and plenty of pictures to suck all your bandwidth.

Page 1: Parts & Prices, GSR Transmission Disassembly
Page 2: LS 5th Gear, GSR vs. LS Synchro Comparison
Page 4: Gearspeed Synchros
Page 5: Installing the trans Part 1
Page 6: Installing the trans Part 2 & 3
Page 9: Completed Interior & Reverse Light Wiring
Page 13: OBD1 Manual ECU conversion

Parts & Prices
Transmission & Drivetrain:
GSR Transmission (no reverse) $300 (local)
LS Half-Shaft $30 (TI member)

Clutch & Flywheel
Exedy Stage 1 and Fidanza 7.5lb $370 shipped (ebay)

Mounts
Front lower trans mount $FREE (local friend)
Upper trans mount $120 (password Innovative)
Rear T bracket $35 (local)

Interfaces
GSR Linkage $25 (local)
S2000 Clutch Master Cylinder $75 (www.hondaautomotiveparts.com)
Braided Stainless Clutch line kit $45 (ebay)
Slave cylinder $15 new (advance auto)
Pedals $35 (ebay)
Shift knob $10 (ebay)

Still Need
Clutch bolts $40
Linkage bolts $10
Carbon Synchro Set $150 (gearspeed)
Misc other trans internals $unknown (www.acuraoemparts.com)

Current Total Cost: 8-7-07
$1260

Parts so far:

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes, finally someone is doing this right! I plan on starting this once I'm done with my black interior conversion. Why did you decide on the S2K CMC? Is it larger than the tegs?

Edit: You're doing the swap DIY Style or taking it to a shop?

#4 ·
Didnt include a starter in the price? I dont think the auto starter is the same as the manual..Im also looking into this 5 speed swap but when I thought about it, going through all that work wasnt worth it when I still end up with a 15-16 second car, not to mention 1200-1300 down the drain. Then again you probably love your car more than I love mine

Edit: Plan on keeping the auto ecu and cluster also?

#7 ·
Opening and Diagnosing the Transmission:

To begin, I first drained the transmission outside and proceeded to carry the transmission to my spare room. A comfortable work environment is a MUST: (no I'm not married)

A little wrenching here, and there:

Some careful prying of the case:

And we're in! Slide off the mainshaft bearing:

This is the 5th/reverse synchro sleeve and synchro set. Top of the mainshaft is where it sits. Slide the sleeve UP and you're in 5th. Slide it DOWN and you're in reverse.

There's the problem. Synchro sleeve is toast. Rounded and mushroomed the bottom side of the sleeve so that it wouldnt even slide to the reverse position. The sleeve has been slid off the mainshaft and flipped over to reveal the bottom side of the synchro sleeve.

#9 ·
Man perfect timing! Just starting my auto to manual swap.
I ordered the same clutch and flywheel too. Keeping this book marked fo sho!!

#11 ·
You should do an LS 5th gear, lol. This is great. If you want your pictures to be more visible, and you don't have photoshop (if you do ask me how to make them more visible, its quite easy), send them to me. you might also turn up the exposure on your camera.

example:

#17 ·
s2000 mc works on a teg? Didnt know that.

I have most of the items in my garage that you needed to do this, exedy stg 1 and fidanza 7.5 fw, halfshaft, mounts, slave cyl...all of them just collecting dust

#20 ·
8/8/07

After taking apart the GSR trans and doing some research, I decided that it was cheaper to put in an LS 5th gear and synchro sleeve vs paying $150 for a new sleeve from Acura.

LS 5th Gear
It just so happened that I have had in my possession a CABLE 5-speed LS transmission with a bad 3rd gear synchro. Considering that no one really beats up on 5th gear, I decided to rip out the good stuff in the cable LS.

Here's a shot of both trans on the workbench coffee table: (GSR on right, LS cable on left)

Gear ratios on GSR vs. Hydro LS vs. Cable LS transmissions are as follows:
GSR 5th: 0.787
LS (C) 5th: 0.742
LS (H) 5th: 0.714

I counted the teeth and verified both transmissions before proceeding.

As it turns out, the LS cable 5th is right smack dab in-between a standard hydro LS and a GSR transmission. Hopefully, this will be the perfect median between highway crusing and still having SOME ability to accelerate in 5th.

The engine this all is being bolted on to is a USDM B20Z.

To get the mainshaft/countershaft out of the tranny, you simply lift straight up. They come out together.

I then took the secondary shaft to a friends house and had him impact off the top nut.

To get the gears off the secondary shaft, you simply flip the shaft, and drop it on a block of wood like so:

Here's a shot of the secondary shafts next to each other with the gears pulled off:

#22 ·
GSR vs. LS Synchro Comparison

We've all read/heard about the GSR's superior synchro's (and if you haven't, you have now). Since I have both transmissions apart I thought I'd share some of the internal differences between the transmissions. Lets start off with a general difference between cable and hydro transmissions.

The main difference between the old Cable transmissions and the newer Hydro transmissions is the shift forks. The hydro forks are welded and much stronger than the cable forks. The cable forks are 2 piece using a cast iron fork and a steel shaft. A roll pin holds the two sections together. The cable forks are also a bit heavier.

Hydro forks top, cable bottom:

Now on to the synchros.

The GSR transmission features oNE synchro that is different than the LS transmission. The 2nd gear synchro is built in a superior 2 piece design.

First the LS standard single cone synchro. You can see the cone is built into the gear and the synchro slows the gear when pressure is put on the brass synchro ring. The red friction area on the brass synchro ring slows the red synchro cone as the sleeve pushes on them while going into gear.

Now the GSR dual cone synchro. You can see the cone is a separate piece with a synchro both under and over it. The cone fits down into the 3 drilled holes effectively making the gear one piece when stacked. When moving into second gear, the synchro's sandwich the cone effectively doubling the braking surface applied to the cone. You can definitely "feel" the difference when you play with them outside the transmission. The GSR cone is superior not only for its larger braking area but also because of its easy to replace and rebuild nature. If only 3rd gear synchro's were built like this.

The blue area contacts the inner wall of the cone while the red area contacts the outer, just like the LS.

If you guys know of any other differences between the transmissions other than the bearings and gearsets (duh) then please post. I'd love to post up pictures showing any differences I may have missed.

Hope this helps people understand some of the differences that make the GSR/ITR transmissions superior to the LS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.