Team Integra Forums banner

B16A2 head on B18C1

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  JDMugen 
#1 ·
a year later and i'm still considering doing this head swap. click here for my previous thread from a year ago...

after thinking about my whole "engine package" as suggested my MD, i've decided to go with an all motor setup.

the head i'm thinking of picking up is a B16A2 head out of a 2000 Si that has Skunk2 stage 2 cams, AEM cam gears, Ti springs, valves, retainers, ported and polished.

right off the bat, i need to know if the head is a direct swap and what all would be needed to get it installed on my GSR block. is there going to be any issues since the 00 Si is OBDII and my 95 GSR is OBDI?

also, i'm going to have to take it to the shop that originally did the port and polish and find out if the P&P job needs to be modified to account for the GSR's lower rod ratio. also gonna have to pick up a ITR or skunk2 intake manifold.

i was told the B16 head will raise my compression slightly... is this true? if it will raise compression, will premium gas (92octane) be sufficient to prevent detonation?

Also, what is the ideal compression ratio to run with the Skunk2 Stage2 cams?

My biggest question would be if its worth swapping the head or if I should just install the cams, valves, springs, etc in my GSR head.

The owner of the Si also has a B16A2 Skunk2 intake manifold... will it fit on a GSR?

See less See more
#5 ·
Waste of money to swap the b16 head. Dont get me wrong b16 heads flow really nice, but they just put out as much power as a b18 head would built. A lot of people who do head swaps with b16's normally swap them onto LS or b20 blocks. Its not really ideal for a b16 head to go onto a b18 block. But its your choice, your compression could be so much nicer with that b18 head though. GOod luck.

#8 ·
did a search on yahoo... came up with a page, but ended up being a dead link... but in the description it had:

"Intake opening (BTDC), 10, 15, 15, 18, 10, 10, 15, 15. Intake closing (ABDC), 40, 45, 45, 45, 40, 40, 45, 45."

those might be stock specs... i'm not gonna rely on that info.

g-speed.com seems like its down...

#9 ·
Jason, The B16A, B16B, B18C5 heads have a chamber volume of 42.7cc's. The B18C1 has a chamber volume of 41.6cc's. I'm refering to the combustion chamber volume of the head.

This isn't the head that Cezar was seling, is it?

You can make up for the lost volume in a B16 head if you either mill the head or have them weld in and reshaped clover-leaf/pent-roof combustion chambers.
DPR
Endyn
and Alaniz

does this sort of of headwork.

PS you should check this out
C-speed racing

#10 ·
no its not cezar's head. its a friend of mine who wants to turn his Si back to stock and sell it due to other unrelated problems. thanks for the info sean.

i think the route i'm going to go is just pick up the cams and valvetrain and use my GSR head after getting a proper P&P job on it. the Si head in question here has already been to the machine shop, and the owner nor the shop that did the work has any idea what was done to it, so i'd rather play it safe and use my stock GSR head.

i'm still trying to figure out what the proper compression ratio is to run with the stage 2 cams. i sent an email out to skunk2... so i'll post up their reply.

after looking over dyno charts on their site, it looks like the cams peak power is around 8600rpm... which means building the motor to be able to handle 9000. so i wanna see if anyone else has run these cams and what their CR and redline are at. (if anyone has this info post it up!)

time for sleep. till tomorrow :)

#12 ·
12:1 seems really high, stock isnt even pushing over 11, and Type R isnt even 12:1 and they have high compression, but Spoonman you may be right still, but just think thats really high with just cams. Good guesstimate probably, or like 11:8

#13 ·
CR calc.
You're looking at 9.8 CR with the OEM 3 layer gasket with the current piston to deck height. going down to a one layer and you're looking around 10.26

You'd be getting 10.03 CR with the piston to deck height of the b16a and an OEM 3 layer gasket with a one layer gasket you're looking at 10.52

I mentioned both piston to deck heights because i'm sure how much that or what changes with a head swap
as far as that goes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.