Team Integra Forums banner

Dragon Run 2017 Edition: Planning Thread

10K views 59 replies 23 participants last post by  tony4311 
#1 · (Edited)
WHEN: Wednesday July 26th through Sunday 30th
- CRZ group will be there at same time
- Miata horde will be there the *following* weekend

GOAL OF EVENT: Get tony-buncha-numbers drunk and loud so the whole village hears him

Fontana Village
300 Woods Road
Fontana Dam, NC 28733
GPS: 35.4364112 -83.822342
(828) 498-2211
(800) 849-2258
Fontana Village Resort Smoky Mountain Resort & Marina
Full map: http://www.fontanavillage.com/maps/v...res-110413.pdf
Closeup map: https://goo.gl/photos/fuTPt7dsrQtbCc1M7

Cabin list:
- Coming soon, but it's the same as last year

Lodge rooms:
- Will be plenty available, more details coming soon

Two way radios:
- Set your dials for Channel #7

Groceries and supplies:
- Grocery shopping (closest): best/closest is Ingles in Robbinsville NC
- Walmart, car parts, pretty much anything you need: Maryville TN is the place
- There is a “General Store” on site at Fontana for basic needs (ice, some groceries, beer, snacks, laundromat).

Stuff to do:
- Google map with markers (from 2016): http://bit.ly/ti_dr16_map

============================================

Idea sandbox (feel free to suggest more in the comments):
- Driving (duh)
- Inner tubing
- Boat rentals
- I did ask Nantahala Brewing last year if we could do a group/private tasting/meal there, they said they do that
- Find moar waterfalls
- Find new roads (we haven't explored too far East yet)
- Golf?

Schedule: (term loosely used since you're on vacation, do whatever you please!):
- Wednesday: to be determined

- Thursday: to be determined

- Friday: to be determined

- Saturday: to be determined

Extra Notes:
- There is very very limited, if any at all, cellular coverage at the Village
- Internet WiFi spots are available at the Lodge, the General Store and the Wildwood Grill
- Make sure to bring bug spray, mosquitos do rule out there.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Woo!

So ready to make this trip. Already have the time off. Abby decided she had a good time last year and will be joining in the fun.

**** MIATAS!

#5 ·
Gonna miss this one because I'll be visiting PDX and SEATAC that week with my family. Awesome cabin will be a little less awesome this year as a result. Also, no bad MAP sensors or other issues on my part, since I don't have a teg to being right now anyway. Hoping for a triumphant return in a DC/DB chassis in 2018.

#6 ·

Idea sandbox (feel free to suggest more in the comments):
- Driving (duh)
- Inner tubing
- Boat rentals
- I did ask Nantahala Brewing last year if we could do a group/private tasting/meal there, they said they do that
- Find moar waterfalls
- Find new roads (we haven't explored too far East yet)
- Golf?
- Gatlinburg has two moonshine distillery places (https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=distilleries&find_loc=Robbinsville,+NC+28771)

#16 ·
If we decide to do Natahala this year, I'll pick you up some.

Reactions: dpaton
#10 ·
Won't be attending, but since i've been there you guys will definitely want to check out Ole Smokey Moonshine's place. Lots of flavors, you can try every flavor if you want, lots of merch you can buy, and just a really cool building. it's done up really nice. Go there, you won't be disappointed!

#11 ·
I would love to make it out at least once. Finally getting ahead in life and can afford the time off and trip out. However, it will have to be next year. Car currently looks like poo. Paint fading clearcoat coming off. But she runs great. I definitely will make an effort to go in 2018. you kids have fun! I will live vicariously through your pictures :)

Reactions: Ami
#12 ·
If I do make it this year it won't be in the R. Most likely, unless I blow it up before then.... I'll be in the STi this year.
I'll be by myself and probably drive back that night. It's only a few hours from me and I've been hitting it a lot since I got this car. :biggrin:

#13 ·
If you read this: it doesn't matter what car is there, what shape it's in or whatever... this meet is past that point.

As someone wisely said (I'm not sure who said it, but it's on an older Dragon Run recap thread): "TI: come for the cars, stay for the friends"

#18 ·
So, any ideas for activities this year anyone?

There are the obvious options, such as the Thursday or Friday beer swap.

Drunk kickball against the CRZ guys is always a must. Do we have any fire pit or field access this year @MorningZ?

Delicious pulled pork at the Dragon Pitt.

A personal favorite visiting place of mine is the Dragon Hill Climb, which I plan to vist. https://goo.gl/maps/JUFCBi9rNo52 (For some reason I can't use any options to make links and such. All of the buttons are broken.)

A majority of us skipped the Skyway Run last year I believe. I'd like to go this year to make up for that.

let's see some ideas!

#19 ·
I'm gonna get thrown under a bus for this, but... I prefer the Skyway. It's much less crowded, longer, sweepier curves, not as many po-po's and views!!!
Don't get me wrong, the Dragon is far better for thrashing the car around, but just chilling on a good cruise, it's got it's benefits.

I still haven't visited the Hill Climb thing.

#22 ·
I and many others would agree with you in some respects. The Dragon is terrible during the day time when all of the tourists and traffic are coming through. In my opinion, it's best in the early morning hours, and my personal favorite, at night.

Reactions: b18c5rjdm
#20 ·
Why do you feel you would you get thrown under the bus for that? It's alright to have an opinion.

the Hill Climb is a little south of Tapoco Lodge on 129 (in Joyce Keller Park) and is a fun road that winds up a mountain and ends at the top (where there is a turnaround). It's a fun road, but gravel-ey. the Road to Nowhere in Bryson City is very similar.

#21 ·
If you are going to this year's Dragon Run and want to get in on the cabin/lodge group, i need to know!! Message me, text me, post here, whatever!, just let me know so I can start getting some names to cabins

Attachments

#23 ·
It's not terrible during the day, a lot many people say that but it's really not that bad. I've had plenty of mid day Saturday runs with no interruptions. Just luck of the draw. I like how killboy has been putting road condition posts lately, haven't seen a "busy" post yet although I'm sure I miss some.

#28 ·
I have a chance to rent a cabin for the time I'm down there. I will be arriving Tuesday night and leaving Sunday afternoon. Is there anyone that doesn't already have a place to stay that needs one?

Because time is short, I need an answer by the end of the weekend. Otherwise, I'll have to give it up and room with a couple of friends instead, which isn't a big deal. The more people that stay, the cheaper the cabin is. If you're indecisive, now is the time to make your decision! I promise you won't regret going if you decide to!

#30 ·
I'm planning on getting there Tuesday evening as well. I've got a cabin for Wednesday thru Saturday, and was just figuring on grabbing a campsite for Tuesday night.

Depending on the cost, I 'might' be willing to go in on a cabin - but I think it's gonna be hard to beat the price of a campsite.

Shoot me some details and I'll let you know one way or the other. I'll hit you up on FB via PM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.