Team Integra Forums banner

LS to GS-R with new life - MalTeg's Running Log

9K views 42 replies 10 participants last post by  MalTeg 
#1 · (Edited)
Decided to start one of these threads. Relocating article content here.

From the original post:
Ok, I know that there are like 1000 of these, but I think MalTeg wants some attention... lol. So here we go.

In November, my engine ate itself alive. So my teg sat.... and sat... and sat while I saved up money to fix him up! 2 weeks ago, my savings account was sitting at a cool 4k, so I decided to get started!

I should start by saying that I know NOTHING about engines. My father didn't teach me, despite being a mechanic. Luckily, I am pretty clever though. So I figured I would be fine.
Picked up a used B18C1 from the junkyard.

Had to buy a lot of parts. Sorry that I didn't take pictures along the way... When you really get into it, you don't really think about taking pictures. But here's most of the stuff I bought:

Found out my cv axle was shot, so I bought a replacement

Here is my clutch installed (forgot to take the picture till after I had put the transmission on... lol)

Got the old engine out. Head is still good but the block is totally shot.

Got the new one in.

Got my kevlar coated spiral core spark plug wires in the mail (VMS Racing... decided I like this brand)

Installed new spark plugs/wires/dizzy

Now, I know these are kind of "ricey", but I modified my cluster to accommodate my new engine (used EL glow faces)

It has two different lighting modes

Parts list for rebuild:

Piston ring compression tool
Piston ring gapping grinder tool
Pulley puller
Pitman tool
Feeler gauges
P28 ecu
Obd2 - obd1 conversion harness
Block paint + primer
Spark plugs + wires
Billet engine mounts
Cometic head gasket + ARP head bolts
Competition clutch stage 3 clutch
Skunk 2 catback exhaust 3"
Skunk 2 intake manifold and throttle body
Skunk 2 VTEC solenoid
Skunk 2 pro xp valve springs and Titanium retainers
Skunk 2 lowering springs and struts
Skunk 2 stage 2 pro cams
Skunk 2 alpha connecting rods
New b18c1 block
Cp forged pistons 9.8:1 Cr
Obx LSD
Front suspension parts
Vms racing adjustable cam gears
1000cc injectors
OEM itr throttle cable
New main crank bearing
Transmission rebuild kit
GM 3bar map sensor
Gauge pod
Boost gauge, oil pressure gauge, and aem wideband controller
All gaskets
Itr carbon fiber spoiler
Turbonetics turbocharger kit

See less See more
#2 ·
Ok, so I didn't replace the gaskets on my exhaust, and noticed that i had a nice exhaust leak. It seemed to seal fine initially, so I figured it would be ok. But, I used it as an excuse to upgrade my exhaust to a higher size for better flow. Found some mandrel bends on ebay (not using the tip or test pipe), and seeing as I have other issues, namely that my flywheel was inferior, I am assuming that the metal shards from the flywheel chewed up my clutch, and my intake is sitting on my rad hose I decided to buy everything in one go. Here are the purchases:

I will update as I get and install everything!

#3 ·
Looks like a solid start to a build. Looking forward to moar parts updates! Lol

#4 ·
Good progress so far! Those are some thick wires lol. How bright are those gauges? I kind of like them. My gauge cluster is not that bright at the brightest setting so I was thinking about reverse indiglo gauges so that I could actually read the gauges lol! How did they install?

#5 ·
Why not add to your "LS to GSR conversion" build thread? Only difference seems to be the title, which can be changed with editing the original post in advanced mode.

Nice selection of new parts though. :) it's always fun getting new stuff for the teg!

#6 ·
pretty much... well, that and I want to try to make this one neater than the last thread.

#7 ·
Ok, so today I removed the resonator since it will be in the way of my CAI when it gets here. After reading up on it, people say that it isn't necessary to remove the bumper or fender, but removing the bumper would have made that last bolt a lot easier... lol. Also replaced the fuel filter yesterday since my car kept threatening to die but the fuel pump was obviously working.

#9 ·
You have to remove and disassemble the gauge cluster, removing the speedo and tacho entirely. Modify the back housing to accommodate the new wiring, thread the wires, use a non-expanding adhesive to affix the EL glow faces over your existing faces (DO NOT use double sided tape), reassemble the cluster, determine where you will wire it into your car at (easiest is to wire it into your dimmer switch), mount the transformer, and put the bezel back in. Here are a couple pictures of how it looks at night.

I know the differences don't seem very apparent in the photos, but in person it looks much different between the two. One is kind of a xenon color, the other is like liquid paper white.

#11 ·
Ok, small update today as I didn't really do much. I got my no name headers in, and fixed the way my exhaust was mounted up (the first time is put it in wrong). Now, I need to get an ITR OEM muffler. I will be buying one soon. Also, I don't have a garage atm, but I do have my new flywheel, clutch, clutch plate. Here are pics!

You can also see in these pictures that I got my CAI in as well.

And that is it for the pictures!

Reactions: Bakercloud
#13 ·
Yeah, I bought a whole exhaust system. It is a direct replica of the ITR exhaust system, minus the muffler. 2.25" mandrel bent.

what was wrong was I got the resonator section on there backwards, so the hangers were flat against the undercarriage.

The only problems I had were that they doughnut gasket they provided with the system didn't fit into my catalytic converter, my bolts were long enough to make the jump from pipe to cat, and I forgot to unplug the DS O2 sensor, so I had to repin that. Other than that, my only issue is that I hate this damn fart can... it irritates me beyond words. But all the exhaust gaskets that came with it sealed perfectly, so no more exhaust leak (which is partially why I did this in the first place).

#14 ·
Just figured I would give a quick update: Gotta do emissions and get my car registered. Turns out, there was a typo on my registration (I had to go and get new plates part way through the year), and I was supposed to have to do it this month, but it was actually still supposed to be done in may. Despite my registration card saying otherwise, so my teg is sitting at the moment. Gotta add some finishing touches before I can get through emissions like my new muffler and flywheel. Ordering the muffler tomorrow, and hopefully I can get my hands on a Helm's otherwise I am going to be buying a LOT OF INK and printing out my digital version. God that will take forever...

#19 ·
Ok, just a quick update. I haven't been able to do anything with my car, but I finally ordered my ITR OEM Exhaust, as well as the tools that are necessary to do my flywheel (12pt sockets and a shiny new torque wrench, since my old one broke but that is what you get for buying cheap!). They will all be here soon, and I will be posting pics as I get things done! Then, I get to go pass emissions and can get back on the road!

#20 ·
Today, I decided to throw in some 6x9's that a buddy gave me for helping him replace the thermostat on his 04 Intrepid (by that, I mean I replaced it. He had no idea what he was doing). As you know, DC's were not supposed to have 6x9's, but I wanted to have 6 speakers, so I decided to make it work. Something to note: if you decide to do this, there are 2 metal bars in the cargo cover. You can either make the 6x9 fit in between them perfectly (looks like crap IMO) or, you can cut into the metal bars as I did. Ok, enough talk. Picture time!

That's it! Thanks for looking! Tomorrow's project: Finally replacing my flywheel. Pictures to come!

#23 ·
Sorry I missed your post on here... I don't have any closer pics at the moment, they are recaro seat fabric. I will see about taking some pictures later.

#22 · (Edited)
So, my muffler finally came. here are some pictures from last night. I'll get pictures of it on the car when I can.

and yeah, I noticed it was a little damaged, but honestly I don't have another 15 days to wait.

#25 ·
yeah, they had already gotten one damaged one in and ordered a different one... thus why it took 15 days from when I ordered it.

#27 ·
Well, I guess I could grab some from a DB at the junkyard, but I removed the cloth from the ones in my wife's DB because I though it looked like crap tbh. Plus, the cloth covers would present a whole new challenge of their own since the screws go in from the bottom and are separate from the screws that hold in the speakers. Maybe I will do it, but I don't want it to look like crap. We will see after the shiny phase wears off on these... lol

#29 ·
oh I know my wife has a DB, but 2 of those screws would line up perfectly with where that metal bar is... lol

#32 ·
The 2 doors have a removable pressed fiber 'cargo cover'. It's kinda flimsy.

The 4drs have a package tray, that's part of the unibody. There's actual structure that runs at the top of the trunk inside the rear window. Like on any other car that's not a hatchback.

#34 ·
The 2 doors have a removable pressed fiber 'cargo cover'. It's kinda flimsy.
yeah, that's why I plan on molding carbon fiber to it. Just got sick of bad audio, lol.

Reactions: dpaton
#35 ·
Ok, so I FINALLY got around to replacing my flywheel. As some of you know, I bought an XTD Aluminum flywheel before, and have now replaced it with an XACT Streetlite Chromoly flywheel. The XTD looked like it was composed of 3 pieces: a backplate that went towards the engine, a gear plate, and a contact plate. All of my problems came from the gear plate, which during assembly was put on backwards. Basically, the grooves that make your starter teeth line up with the flywheel were on the engine side of the flywheel, so instead of starting my car, the starter would just hit the flywheel incorrectly and just continue spinning. So, the moral here is don't buy XTD... well, more importantly, if you buy a multipiece flywheel, make sure that the gear plate isn't backwards... Wish I had known to look for that before. Would have saved me a lot of trouble...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.