Team Integra Forums banner

How do I get the bolt off the top of the rear struts?

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  GreyTeg 
#1 ·
Changing the rear struts on a '97 GSR, have the spring compressed and ready to pull the strut out but I can NOT get that bolt that holds the rod off of the top!

When i turn it with a wrench the entire rod turns, i can't find anywhere to put a clamp to hold the damn thing... how do I go about doing this?

Thanks all!

#6 · (Edited)
the impact hits hard enough where u don't have to worry about the inside moving usually.. but idk if it will when the bolt is rusted on. its worth a shot, though.

EDIT: put some PB blaster on it so it breaks loose easier.

#11 · (Edited)
I agree with Uncompressing the spring... You'll need all that pressure to break it loose. DO NOT fully remove that nut while the spring is Uncompressed though!

The trick that has worked for me countless times on numerous struts/shocks.... Grab a piece of the stickiest Duck Tape or equivalent you can find (**** has to be strong and sticky though). Tear in about a one inch or so strip and wrap it around the shaft two or three times overlapping. Grab a pair of Vice Grips and clamp them down using every ounce of strength in your being. Allow them to rotate until they wedge themselves tight in the spring as you turn the nut... and if you've done it right.. It WILL hold the shaft from spinning

Trying it with Duck Tape is worth a shot.. I see no reason why a good sticky brand (not the cheap junk) wouldn't hold just fine. This is the stuff I have laying around: http://www.tapemanblue.com/redstuccotape.html
It's outrageously expensive and is every bit twice (if not more) as strong as duck tape

;) Good Luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.