Team Integra Forums banner

About to pick up a GSR - questions and jitters

4K views 35 replies 14 participants last post by  thenickster5792 
#1 · (Edited)
Beloved TI,

I'm about to pick up this GSR for a good deal. I know I'll probably get flames but it would help comfort if I could get some opinions.

Objective: I've always wanted a 98+white gsr and would use as a daily.

It seems really sketchy and one would bail but his story holds up after a carfax check. After sending a video of how the car runs, the engine sounds smooth, no rattles, exhaust sounds fine, could't find any faults. - Clean Title as per him and Carfax.

Summary as to why I'm nervous:
  • Traveling to go get it
  • Swapped engine - claims 50k on it, put in a stock motor after taking out the turbo+original motor
  • Non-matching cluster - seller was going for a type R conversion

Conclusion:

Pretty cool seller, honest about the car. the carfax matched his story. I think the car will fit my needs and look really clean after a paint job and fixing it up. And if it doesn't, I could resell the parts alone and make some of the money back.

Car description:

Year: 1998
Make: Acura
Model: Integra
Color: White

Motor:
JDM OBD 1 GS-R Motor
DOHC VTEC 4 Cyl. 16 Val.
• Year: 1994-1995
• HP: 180hp@7600
• Torque: 129 lb-ft@6200
• Redline: 8200 rpm
• Displacement: 1797cc
• Compression Ratio: 10.6:1
ES one oval muffler (2 ¼ in) with 2 ¼ piping
OBD2 TO OBD1 CONV. HARNESS
Hondata S200 + Boost Capability -- Stock Tune

Transmission:
1998 GS-R Transmission w/ Quaife LSD
ACT Flywheel 12lb

Exterior:
JDM metal front end w/ ITR lip
Integra Type R 5 lug conversion
1 set of 1997 Integra Type R wheels (white)
1 set of 2001 Integra Type R wheels (gun metal, 2 need repair.)
Factory Sun roof

Suspension:
TEIN SS Coilover
Skunk 2 Camber Kit

Interior:
Factory GSR Interior (Mint)
Spoon Steering wheel 360mm
Splash Short Hub
Spoon sport shift knob
Integra Type R Floor Mats
Integra Type R Interior Pieces

Cons:
-Passenger mirror broken. - Have one but needs to be painted
-Passenger side skirt - Missing

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
it sounds like he seems like a down to earth guy who's telling the truth. he might've blown the original engine with a turbo.

best thing to do is ask for a compression test of all the cylinders.
this car definitely looks like she'll be a beauty but with another $800 or so of work to the exterior.
most importantly take the car for a test drive, listen for any strange noises from the engine, any weird suspension creaks, and that everything functions as normal.

just curious, how much is the seller asking for the car?

#4 ·
4700. pretty decent deal if this works out, right? =) and you're right, i have had plenty of conversations about this guy, very open and honest. the big thing is his story matched the carfax and he knew the car history... so thats assuring.

Thanks for reminding me of compression test! I will ask.

#8 ·
I may have missed it but...is it a clean title?
I only ask because some (not all) swap the front end after some sort of accident.
even if it is a clean title was it in a little fender bender etc? basically reason why he swaped the jdm front on...make sure its all welded into place and done so cleanly. Hopefully he has shop recepts.
and like other said, compression test etc...

Good luck

#10 ·
Oh for sure, I'm going to inspect the hell out of it. Test drive is a given.

clean title.

I didn't know motor swap obd2 to obd1 was illegal, as long as you passed emission you're good? (i'll have to pick up a cat to pass emissions)

Yeah, I guess I'm a bit nervous but I know after years of research white gsr clean titles are hard to come by and this guy has taken car of this car, from the looks of it. I guess it'd be easy if I could get that "MINT" car but GSRs like that dont exist without the price tag.

thanks for replies guys. This will be my welcome back to TI...

+1 for fulfilling highschool/TI dreams.

#11 · (Edited)
Oh for sure, I'm going to inspect the hell out of it. Test drive is a given.

clean title.

I didn't know motor swap obd2 to obd1 was illegal, as long as you passed emission you're good? (i'll have to pick up a cat to pass emissions)

Yeah, I guess I'm a bit nervous but I know after years of research white gsr clean titles are hard to come by and this guy has taken car of this car, from the looks of it. I guess it'd be easy if I could get that "MINT" car but GSRs like that dont exist without the price tag.

thanks for replies guys. This will be my welcome back to TI...

+1 for fulfilling highschool/TI dreams.
it is a d.o.t. standard that you cannot put a motor in a car that is older than that said car. not to mention it's an obd2 car with an obd1 engine. it'll be a dead give away the fact that you have a conversion harness. you usually have to "know" somebody to get a car lke that to pass. it is an "illegal swap" no matter how you look at it. and it depends on how strict your inspection station is. I know people even up here in strict ass pa. i know people and that is the only reason my swapped str8 piped 240 was "legally" inspected for 4 years lol.

#12 · (Edited)
Thanks Death (never thought i'd be thanking "death")

This is a huge find for me, I want to be able to pass inspection... may have to let this deal go. Upon research, this car won't pass the emissions test, when you hook up a obd2 scanner to a converter to an obd1, it'll read blank... hence failing the test.

- Is there anything I can do?

#14 · (Edited)
that's probably one of the reasons the car is such a "great" deal.....That was the first thing that caught my eye with your car. I was like why would they put an obd1 engine into an obd2 car without converting the engine to obd2 and running an obd2 ecu.... but part of the reason is tuning and the other part of the equation is price. the guy should've gotten an obd2 engine and then 2 ecu's. one being a stock obd2 ecu for the very reason that you're talking about. And the other being a chipped p28 or something for tuning reasons.

-either find somebody to "inspect" the car.
-forget about the car
-get the car anyways and risk all the penalties associated with a car like this. and try to fix the car so that it is legal.

I don't know whether it's because i'm older or something but the first 2 things i think of when i buy the car are....

-how hard would it be to resell the car and get my investment back.
-can i get the car inspected(Ties into the first question.)

#13 ·
Damn, what a conflict... all because of a stupid inspection thing. what would you do, TI?

#15 ·
I totally agree with you; that's what I factor into a car as well.

He says his brother a good deal on the jdm gsr and being as how it was a turbo car (the original motor) then emissions didn't matter.

Even if I could convert the engine to read obd2 (change injectors, etc) that's time I don't have. Plus, we don't even know if it'd work after that.

#16 ·
i'm not too familiar on the difference between the obd1 and obd2 engines...not sure if it's just stuff like sensors and dizzy or if it's more intense stuff like a wiring harness or such. but research and patience will safe you a lot of headache and money. Do some research on the car to find out how hard it would be to make it OBD2 compliant since it is essentially a stock motor.... and then even if you get an obd2 ecu to work with the car. will it pass emissions how it is.

#17 · (Edited)
#21 ·
im not too sure about all of the OBD2-1 stuff, but i have a few things to add. One of my friends has a completely non emission passing motor and he swaps a stockie in everytime he has emissions (not viable for most people) and kinda douchy. My other buddy swapped a 92 jdmb16a into his 2000 civic. I went with him to emissions (here in co) and the people were really confused, lookn under his car with a mirror for extra long, called in the manager, and since you can plug it in the dash but it doesnt work, she jsut overrided the error message and we passed the sniffer and went on our way.....i think she just thought the OBD2 plug in his dash was messed up

#22 ·
im not too sure about all of the OBD2-1 stuff, but i have a few things to add. One of my friends has a completely non emission passing motor and he swaps a stockie in everytime he has emissions (not viable for most people) and kinda douchy. My other buddy swapped a 92 jdmb16a into his 2000 civic. I went with him to emissions (here in co) and the people were really confused, lookn under his car with a mirror for extra long, called in the manager, and since you can plug it in the dash but it doesnt work, she jsut overrided the error message and we passed the sniffer and went on our way.....i think she just thought the OBD2 plug in his dash was messed up
most places are not that incompetant since the fine is ridiculous if you get in trouble. he would be running an ob1 computer and engine in an obd2 car. it's not like he has an obd2 engine an obd2 car with an obd1 ecu just for tuning purposes. then he could swap to a stock obd2 computer come time for inspection.
that's why my advice is either know somebody or get a properly setup car.

#23 · (Edited)
Found a 99 GSR with 75k.

Goods:
mint motor/body
motor pulls fine
Negotiated to $4,800
Type R valve cover, side skirts, and rear
HIDs
new rims and tires, i dont much care for the rims but tires are new, thats good
clean title
CAI
mugen exhaust
DC header

Bads:
ABS light is on - going to pull the code
3rd gear grinds when you shift into it
cluster is broken - he proved it worked when he got it then it stopped recently
Engine light is on - gas cap, we'll see if it goes away
antenna is broke but radio works.
heater fan #1 (first level) doesn't work. but its loud for #2 and up. like noticeably loud.

We met tonight, really cool guy. I know theres alot of bads but those are all fixable. I just want a good base and I think i've found it for a bearable price.

wish me luck, TI, i'll make a new thread when its mine tommorow. I'm excited, when I drove it, despite the errors, I had a huge grin. The motor pulls fine and it drives fine. I found my next integra, and its a GSR!

- chibi

#32 ·
Nevermind, he went with a dealership for 4600. Blah, almost had it for 4,000!. oh well, wasn't worth 4800. Thanks TI; for staying tuned!

I will find my GSR one day...

#33 · (Edited)
Update: Lost another GSR

Found a deal on a Tuesday, it got sold Thursday morning. It's in a city 3 hours away. This was probably the best deal out of my 1 year of searching, 2001 gsr 80k miles.

I couldn't get off work and before I knew it, it was sold. Kind of irritated at myself, maybe I could've drove after work. Just ranting really...

This search is really getting to me; I can't stress enough how in DEMAND these cars are, there must be at least 10 other people actively searching for GSR's everyday like me, in TX and everytime I call a seller within hours of his posting, 4 other people have offered.

My advice is that if you find a "good" deal, jump on it. This goes without saying but I really think the price of GSR may even higher since it's so in demand, with my experience of losing 4 gsrs deals this year.

Summary: GSR's are HIGHLY in demand (I know we all know) and if you find a deal, jump on it, because it'll be sold within 48 hours

#34 ·
This is why I chuckle, to myself, every time I see people here, telling someone they wouldn't pay more than 3-4k for a GSR. These aren't your typical 11-18 year-old cars. And while the economy still isn't good, it's not 2009. Three years ago, the prices dropped, dramatically. They started rising about a year and a half ago.

Regardless of year/mileage, and what KBB or Edmunds say, asking price for these cars starts at 5-6k. I'm not saying it's impossible to find a great deal, but it's not easy. Patience will eventually pay off. In the meantime, keep saving up.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#35 ·
Yeah Drache, I'm glad someone else gets it.

In my year of searching, 98+ gsrs go for 5-6k. The more mint, the closer to 6k. The more miles/signs of wear = closer to 5k.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.