Team Integra Forums banner

Spark Plugs: Champion Platinum Vs NGK

22K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  androsk 
#1 ·
Any recommendation over Champion Platinum Vs NGK?

#5 ·
I don't think JDM plays that big of a roll anymore. I use NGK's because they are the one company, that I have found, to sell plugs that don't require you to thoroughly inspect them before you use them. I have found Autolite's with broken electrodes that were BNIB. Bosch spark plugs flat out suck, unless you get their iridiums, and even then there are better companies for iridiums. I haven't used Champion's but I know a couple of domestic "tuners" that use Champion's copper plugs and they swear by them. I always check the gap on plugs and NGK's are the only one I have found that are always set to the correct gap from the factory. Even the packaging that NGK uses is better. They use a cardboard tube to protect the electode and keep the gap correct. Most other companies just throw their plugs in a box and hope they get to you in one piece.

#7 ·
Its not really about quality, if you put an NGK in a Ford, it will run like crap too. Its all about heat range. Don't buy into gimmicks like 4 electrode's. If you in a Honda, use NGK. Chrysler, Champion. German car, Bosch. Chevrolet, Autolite. They had those plugs from the factory for a reason. I used Bosch's in my VW and never had a problem. I use NGK's in my Teg, and I've never had a problem. Any NGK will work fine, I've been using the 2.99$ NGK G-Power's for 30,000 miles and they still look fine with minimal gap change.

*Edit*
If you use a plug thats too hot you can detonate. Thats bad.

If you use too cold a plug, it won't heat up enough and will foul out very quickly due to carbon deposits that would normally burn off an NGK plug.

Its not that other plugs are bad, they just aren't meant for our cars.

#10 ·
champion is an old brand that has been around for years infact edlebrock designs some of their cylinder heads to use only champion, my dad has champion plugs with taylor wires on his 79 corvette and they work great no issues and we have used champion plugs in our stump griders for years, i dont know it they are the best high performance plugs but for durability they are excellent. i personally have ngk iridium IX plugs in my gsr and have no issues

#15 ·
It can actually make a big difference...partly because of the wear that happens to the electrode. Every time a spark happens it takes a little bitty bit out of the electrode, so over time, your gap widens and the electrode becomes round and smooth. The round and smooth electrode makes it harder for the spark to actually bridge the gap (which is getting bigger). I replaced mine about a month ago when i noticed that my ignition would start to break up under full boost at higher rpms. switching to a new plug took care of that problem for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.