Team Integra Forums banner

oil light flashing / blinking / dimming

14K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  sciconf 
#1 ·
I have a 92 integra.

recently my oil light has been flashing, and sometimes it stays on constantly but dim.

I checked the oil and its fine.
I dont have an oil pressure gauge, but vtec always works so based on this im assuming pressure is fine otherwise the vtec oil pressure switch would keep vtec off right? (I know, I know I need a real gauge.)
I just replaced the sending unit
I read that the ICU goes bad and causes oil light problems, I removed it tonight but dont see any visible signs of problems (I'm still replacing the capacitor just in case but I gott wait till tomorrow :( )

can anyone tell me WHAT ELSE would cause the oil light to blink?
Thanks.

#4 ·
It's official, oil pressure is fine.

I went out and bought a real oil pressure sensor. At idle when warm I have 30 PSI, when I rev it I get up to 85 PSI.

Im not sure what the pressure is supposed to be but I know you want at least 10PSI per 1k RPM so based on that oil pressure seems fine to me.

#9 ·
I have a 92 integra.

recently my oil light has been flashing, and sometimes it stays on constantly but dim.

I checked the oil and its fine.
I dont have an oil pressure gauge, but vtec always works so based on this im assuming pressure is fine otherwise the vtec oil pressure switch would keep vtec off right? (I know, I know I need a real gauge.)
I just replaced the sending unit
I read that the ICU goes bad and causes oil light problems, I removed it tonight but dont see any visible signs of problems (I'm still replacing the capacitor just in case but I gott wait till tomorrow :( )

can anyone tell me WHAT ELSE would cause the oil light to blink?
Thanks.
The cluster could be the culprit. Or possibly a bad connection at the connector to the cluster? As I understand it the oil sender switch is normally open and as oil pressure builds it closes the switch turning off the light in the cluster. If there is any resistance between that single wire and the cluster that could give you intermittent problems, too. If enough resistance is present (over .5 ohm) I'd chase the wire but otherwise see about that cluster. Maybe the contacts for the bulb in the cluster?

Also oil pressure spec on B18A1 is 10psi at idle, 50psi at 3k rpm and I'd highly recommend checking that too just to be safe. The amount of oil, unless very low (lower than pick up tube) or very high (high enough to cavitate and suck air) will not affect oil pressure so being a little off there isn't a big deal.

I've been having the same issues with my teg lately. Swapped sender and it was good for a day. I checked pressure before part slapping and it was 15 at idle 60 at 3k after warming up so felt better about still driving it. I'll be digging into that oil light probably next week so I'll keep you posted if I figure out what it is. Otherwise good luck to you.

#10 ·
#11 ·
I agree that sounds like it could actually be the cluster itself, possibly a short on the way to the cluster, but even so, that could kill the cluster. After what I went through, any intermittent gauge problems make me think the cluster is failing. The shop that saved me seemed super well versed in diagnostics. I'll bet if you gave them a call they could help you out. Acura Instrument Clusters - Replacement Cluster Panels, Dash Panels, Gauge Clusters, Speedometers for Acura
I had the similar issue on Gen2 - its essentially was false alarm and went away.
When the battery died, it came back on and it went away after 50 miles
So if the issue persists after 50miles, its worth while investigating. Until then don't drive too fast. If its oil pressure, engine will die almost immediately.

Make sure your battery doesn't have a dead cell -> bought a new batt with a dead cell from Costco - it had issues in moving Tranny (auto) from Park. Crazy, non-logical issues

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.