Team Integra Forums banner

Are these GSR Blades/Swirlies repairable?

5K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  bleemasaurus 
#1 ·
Found some blades on CL, but am kind of concerned if they will be fully repairable.. Seller says theres no curb rash or deep scratches but definitely corrosion and light scratches.

For those of you that have refinished Blades or any wheel in general, what should i be looking out for when I go take a look at these wheels? Will these wheels be able to come back to life or is there just too much corrosion? I want them to look as close to brand new as possible!

Ill upload more pics in a sec I have to take them off my phone ~,~
:beer:

See less See more
#3 ·
For me its hard to tell from the pics. It looks like a lot of surface corrosion more than anything (protective coating is wearing off). So long as they don't have any deep gouges, and so long as you are prepared to do a LOT of wet sanding and polishing, they should clean up pretty good. Personally, I enjoy polishing. Its a very time consuming, and finger / mind numbing task if you're up to it.

#4 ·
thanks for the reply buddy.
He said the clear coat is stripping off and its mostly corrosion. How deep is too deep? If I can catch my finger nail on it? I guess the deeper it is the more ill have to sand...
Another question - Can the center caps be saved or do I have to just order new ones?

#6 ·
Seeing the rings, looks like someone was rough as hell with a tire machine if its that perfectly circular (didn't notice it until you mentioned it above). Hard for me to say how deep is too deep. You ought to be able to "see" and "feel" the difference of a corrosion / coating issue, versus deep gouges / scrapes. You'll be able to feel both with your finger nail, but it should be obvious if something round into the metal, or just scratched the surface. Wish I could tell you more, just hard to say without seeing them in person, and without knowing your level of comfort with sand paper and polish.

How much are they going for?

#11 ·
-stockgs-r
How much did it cost you to have a shop do it?
-drmix
Thanks for helping me with the wheel setup dude! Hadn't thought about painting them as I was going for that sleeper look I was talking about but i wouldn't mind them in gunmetal/charcoal!

Ill upload pics/video in a bit!

#12 ·
The original pictures I posted that the seller sent me did not do them justice, and im not sure that these pictures and video do either. I realized after the fact that I probably should have given them a quick wipe so you could see it clearer because there is a small film of dust on them, since they were stored for 4 years.

(not sure how the quality of the video will be I uploaded it onto photobucket...):beer:

#16 ·
Found a great article by someone on here where they polished some LS Webs. I'm thinking about painting he inside of the rims gunmetal/charcoal to give it that pop.

When sanding do you want to have linear strokes or small circles? I've got to imagine there's a method to the madness!

#17 ·
I would say linear as much as you can, so you can see the cross hatches fade themselves as you sand (will make sense when you get to it). There will be areas where this really isn't feasible, so do the best you can (think the lips of the rims), and spend a few extra minutes on these areas. I ran into the same on my HAsport motor mounts, I've got a before / after somewhere mid-way through my build thread, and the mounts came out with a mirror-like finish.

Circular patterns work, but its hard to tell when you've done enough of the next-up grit.

As far as painting the inside, I'm planning on the same, either a gloss black, or a really dark grey.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.