How wide can I go? - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

Team-Integra.net is the premier Acura Integra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2011, 01:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews

alright this is going to be dum but i need to know how wide i can go befor its to much.i have a 97 integra.

I was thinking of going 215 or 225 at the most and yes i know i would need to roll my fenders all the way around.

now i want to know will it make the car handle better?

what rim with what off set do i need to use?

even a link on a write up will help me

thanks!
97redjetgsr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

215 you can get away with a 15 or 16 inch by 7 or 8 inch wide. 225 i believe you can go with a 8 to 9 inch wide wheel, but a 9 inch wheel can affect your suspension geometry DEPENDING on what you consider better handling since we dont really know much on what you want these tire/wheels for. i go on canyon runs and i have a 16x7 wheel, and i can get away with a 8 inch wheel with, and i can get away with it even more with a 15 inch wheel. so you gotta give us a bit more info on what you really want these tires for.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahuel on Jan/04/11
215 you can get away with a 15 or 16 inch by 7 or 8 inch wide. 225 i believe you can go with a 8 to 9 inch wide wheel, but a 9 inch wheel can affect your suspension geometry DEPENDING on what you consider better handling since we dont really know much on what you want these tire/wheels for. i go on canyon runs and i have a 16x7 wheel, and i can get away with a 8 inch wheel with, and i can get away with it even more with a 15 inch wheel. so you gotta give us a bit more info on what you really want these tires for.
ok "my thinking" on this was that a 215 or 225 would grab the road better there for better handleing over all. the tire i use for the street is yokohama s drive and the size is 205/45/16 now.

For track i want to run the Hoosier R6 also in the same but the rims will be 15 inch.

so i will have one set of rims for street and that is 16x7 and the racing tires will be on 15x7

hope this helps just ask me more i can tell you more if needed

thanks for the help so far
Old 01-04-2011, 02:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Model: Special Edition
Year: 1996
Feedback Score: 29 reviews

Edit: The Hoosier R6's don't come in 215's (unless it's a 60 series height which is a SUPER tall tire) so you don't have much to worry about. 205/50/15's in those should be fine for the track and won't rub much with a good suspension setup and rolled fenders.

*SoCal T-I Canyon Runs* - If Acura ever decides to go searching for its soul, it's downstairs in my parking spot.
tlangy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2011, 02:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlangy on Jan/04/11
Suspension will make the car handle better, tires will make the car grip better. What is your suspension setup on the car? It also depends on the offset of the wheel. Generally +38-42 should be fine for 16x7 but if you go bigger than that you may be rubbing. What purposes are you going to use the car for? Track? Auto-X? Daily driving with some spirited weekends? Do you want the 'Hellaflush' or stretched tire look? Function or form?

Handling has to do with about 100 different things on your car, not just tires.
suspension will be Ksport coilovers and camber kit front and back and also ksport toe kit.along with polyethylene bushings.

The purposes for the car will be weekend driving on the street and then going to tracks and scca solo events but more the tracks.

for hellaflush or stretched tire look i dont really care on that part.

yes i do know there is more to handling then just tires....tires give me grip,handling comes from suspension

i know somethings about this part but i need to know more.

thats why i put this up to fine the right rims and tires or this is just me being dum and not thinking right

thanks
Old 01-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Edit: The Hoosier R6's don't come in 215's (unless it's a 60 series height which is a SUPER tall tire) so you don't have much to worry about. 205/50/15's in those should be fine for the track and won't rub much with a good suspension setup and rolled fenders.
thats right i just looked it up and i wouldnt go 215 then but i could go 225/45/15 with rolledfenders and should be fine as long as i dont dump my coilovers and for track they shouldnt be that low
Old 01-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

1 Inch = 25.4mm so,

205/50 series tire is 8.07 inches wide and 50% being the percentage of the width that sidewall is high, the wheel sidewall will be 4.03 inches high.

225/45 series tire is 8.86 inches wide and 45% of that is 3.98 inches. So technically you'll have a wider tire with a shorter sidewall (but not by much). However, do consider that on a 15x7" wheel, you'll now have a tire that is a full 1.86 inches wider. From what I've found (I've been looking for extreme high performance tires in similar sizes) 205 is the best bet for a 15x7 or 15x6.5 but if you're going 225, you may want to look in to a 15x7.5 which will likely rub, especially with harsh conditions like the track.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
1 Inch = 25.4mm so,

205/50 series tire is 8.07 inches wide and 50% being the percentage of the width that sidewall is high, the wheel sidewall will be 4.03 inches high.

225/45 series tire is 8.86 inches wide and 45% of that is 3.98 inches. So technically you'll have a wider tire with a shorter sidewall (but not by much). However, do consider that on a 15x7" wheel, you'll now have a tire that is a full 1.86 inches wider. From what I've found (I've been looking for extreme high performance tires in similar sizes) 205 is the best bet for a 15x7 or 15x6.5 but if you're going 225, you may want to look in to a 15x7.5 which will likely rub, especially with harsh conditions like the track.
thanks for doing all that crazy math that i am not good at lol.i will write this down in my notes also to keep on hand.yea i was looking at the rim size i would need a 15.7.5 like you said for sure.now im wondering how much my fenders need rolled?
Old 01-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Model: ITR
Year: 2001

Interesting... Would be nice to see some pics of those who are rocking this wide tires too if possible.
nutbuster123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Well "rolling" the fenders consists of bending back the small lip underneath the fenders that can easily cut in to your tire if you're too wide or too low. How low have you dropped the car on your coil overs? Also, there may be no amount of "rolling" that can be done that will stop you from rubbing with certain tires, the car will bottom out and hit the fender wall.

Some drivers will eliminate the fender liner in the front to avoid this but then there's water/debris problems when you aren't on the track (and this sounds like a daily driver as well). Also, what's the offset of the wheel you're running?
Old 01-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 3 reviews

i dont have a fender liner, not by choice from a little bump i hit when i first got my license. but i have since rebuilt the motor and am under my car every weekend , and yeah it gets a little dirty but its nothing to be worried about
Twiskck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #12 (permalink)

Articles: 11
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

I think most likely 225 is your max. Check out this 15x8 6UL wheel. Might not rub depending how low you are lowered.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:08 PM   #13 (permalink)

Model: SE
Year: 2000

im running a 16x7 rota slip with a 215 wide falken rt615 tire and 5mm spacer with a little bit of negative camber and slight tuckage.

it was a pain in the butt to get them to fit. had to roll the fenders and cut out the ridge inside the wheel well.

you can fit a 225 wide tire in there, with about a 1/4 inch gap between the tire and the fender a 3mm spacer and some negative camber. but you have to run an extremely stiff suspension setting.

215 is probably the limit i would go for daily use. Its not easy to fit, but its absolutely worth it. the stance looks soo aggressive with the wide tires, and there is a definite handling improvement over the regular 205 wide tire.
08 BMW 335xi - 2dr awd twin turbo 400hp

The Only Canadian to ever to do the Dragon 5 consecutive years.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2011, 09:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

well i found out for a race track set up i can run a 225/45/16 with a 16x8 rim 42 off set and be just fine.

for the street im still working on a set up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.