Tread Depth (in): 10/32''
Tire Weight: 20 lbs
Rim Size you use: 17 +42 offset Motegi track lite 1.0
Section Width: 8.3''
Tread Width: 7.4''
Country of Origin: JAPAN
Image of the Tread:

Your Review:

Please rate, on a scale of 1-10, 10 being perfect and 1 being abysmal, the following characteristics of the tire being reviewed.

General:
Would you buy this tire again?: YES!
Wet:
Hydroplane Resistance: 8.0
Wet Traction: 7.5
Dry:
Cornering Stability: 8.7
Dry Traction: 9.0
Steering Response: 8.5
Snow:
Light Snow Traction: N/A (summer tire)
Deep Snow Traction: N/A (summer tire)
Ice Traction: N/A (summer tire)
Comfort:
Ride Comfort: 7.7
Noise Comfort: 9.0
Treadwear: 8.0

Additional Thoughts:

I have never had summer tires before. Before this tire it was Bridgestone Potenza 960's for my 94 LS. I pretty much had given up on Bridgestone tires based on that pathetic tire. I was very leery about these Potenza's because of this.

I only purchased them based on my experience with my dad's RX-8 stock Potenza RE50's. I am glad that I did. The amount of grip that these tires can achieve is staggering. Especially with a tuned suspension and LSD. I sometimes if I lift off the throttle too much in a turn can develop oversteer. This tire handles lively street driving extremely well. I have no idea about a dedicated circuit track driving yet. I do know the first few laps will be fantastic. The hotter the temp gets the more traction I seem to get.

On that note. I had a week of 30-40F temperatures and the traction is about half. Normal driving is not affected but I wouldn't push it hard on those on ramps.

Tread life seems very good for a summer tire. No measurable tread depth loss yet. I only have about 6000 miles on them. Most of those miles is 70 MPH cruising. If the treadlife lasts 30k + i will buy these tires again.

The one thing I can fault on the tire, as with all summer tires, more wet grip. It is not a problem with normal driving, but watch how far you push it in the rain.

As with my Winter tire review. Now that I have dedicated Winter and Summer tires, I will never go back to "all-seasons." The driving experience is much better with the correct tires mounted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 30 reviews
A small update on the Nitto NeoGens. After several months of owning them, I finally rotated the tires to find TERRIBLE camber wear. These tires are specifically marketed to cars with high degrees of negative camber. I'm running -1 in the rear and -2.2/2.5 in the front (no camber kit) and the tires are nearly toast. Completely bald on the inner wall. I'll update with photos later but these tires are just plain a bad choice. I plan on going directly back to s-drives when I get new wheels.

Also, I've found the time to test the limits of these tires, and they're awful. After only 6 months of wear they show serious signs of being very bad under heavy stress, snapping loose much easier than they did at first, and being pretty unpredictable under most high-speed conditions.
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 02:23 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i am mid-season with the bf-goodrich g-force's that BlownGsR1001 reviewed. will be including video links/hopefully g-force maps from my blackberry's dynostorm app. to properly gauge how well they actually grip dealing with elements.

-b

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 12:53 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlangy View Post
A small update on the Nitto NeoGens. After several months of owning them, I finally rotated the tires to find TERRIBLE camber wear. These tires are specifically marketed to cars with high degrees of negative camber. I'm running -1 in the rear and -2.2/2.5 in the front (no camber kit) and the tires are nearly toast. Completely bald on the inner wall. I'll update with photos later but these tires are just plain a bad choice. I plan on going directly back to s-drives when I get new wheels.

Also, I've found the time to test the limits of these tires, and they're awful. After only 6 months of wear they show serious signs of being very bad under heavy stress, snapping loose much easier than they did at first, and being pretty unpredictable under most high-speed conditions.
I second this. I had NeoGens because they were DIRT cheap. Totally not worth it.

post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 04:25 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Within your post:

Brand and Model of Tire: yokohama advan ad08
Size of Tire: 205 50 15
Class of Tire: Extreme
Treadwear Rating:180
Traction Rating: AA
Speed Rating: z
Max Load: lulz
Max Pressure:more lulz
Pressure You Run: 35/33
Tread Depth (in): 8/32
Tire Weight: ?
Rim Size you use: 7"
Section Width: 8.3
Tread Width: 7.7
Country of Origin: japan

Please rate, on a scale of 1-10, 10 being perfect and 1 being abysmal, the following characteristics of the tire being reviewed.

General:
Would you buy this tire again?: split
Wet: 8-9
Hydroplane Resistance: 8-9
Wet Traction: 9
Dry:9
Cornering Stability:10
Dry Traction:9
Steering Response:10
Snow: lulz
Light Snow Traction: lulz
Deep Snow Traction:lulz
Ice Traction:lulz
Comfort: who
Ride Comfort: really
Noise Comfort: cares
Treadwear: 180

stupid easy to predict tire that seems to have slightly less overall warm grip than the kumho xs. on the other hand this tire has a better steering response and is easier to control at the limit. wet traction is really good for an extreme tire. overall i don't LOVE the tire but it's not a bad choice. my only drip is pulling fewer G's than the XS and behaving more like a street tire with it's mild break away....not that the last part is really a bad thing for a street car. it just feels so, so, novice. you don't even have to be precision to keep the car where you want it going. this would be an EXCELLENT learner track tire.

on another note. treadwear is the best of any extreme tire i have driven. i have 7k miles on this set and there is hardly any wear. 15-20k miles could be in the cards which really make them a value over something like the fast wearing 615k

carpet cleaning beaverton and the surrounding area

Last edited by idrivesideways; 06-21-2011 at 04:28 PM.
post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 03:02 AM

Time for a thread revival, but of the good kind! I'll be doing a two tire reviews in two posts.

Brand and Model of Tire: Kumho Ecsta 4X
Size of Tire: 195/55R15
Class of Tire: Ultra High Performance All-Season
Treadwear Rating: 420
Traction Rating: AA
Speed Rating: V
Max Load: 1135 lbs
Max Pressure: 51 psi
Pressure You Run: 35 psi
Tread Depth (in): 10.5/32"
Tire Weight: 18 lbs
Rim Size you use: 15x6 *GSR Blades
Section Width: 7.9"
Tread Width: 6.8"
Country of Origin: Korea
Image of the Tread:

Your Review:

General:
Would you buy this tire again?: Yes
Wet: 9
Hydroplane Resistance: 9
Wet Traction: 9

Dry: 9
Cornering Stability: 8
Dry Traction: 9
Steering Response: 9

Snow: 8
Light Snow Traction: 8
Deep Snow Traction: 7
Ice Traction: N/A

Comfort: 9
Ride Comfort: 8
Noise Comfort: 8
Treadwear: 9

Additional Thoughts:

When I started looking for a tire to replace my three aging and one dead Toyo Proxes 4's, Tire Rack had done a recent review of Ultra High Performance All-Season tires, which included the General G-Max AS-03, Hankook Ventus ES H105, Yokohama AVID ENVigor, and the Kumho Ecsta 4X. After driving around on my Proxes 4's forever, I was determined to get the best tire I could for driving in any weather condition, since Illinois weather changes all the time, any time.

The test TireRack performed resulted in the 4X claiming first place, with comments like:

Quote:
In dry conditions, the Kumho Ecsta 4X easily drove away from the rest of the group, feeling more like a summer than an all-season tire, with quick steering response and excellent traction.
They had tested the tires in dry and wet conditions, but not in winter. I purchased these tires in early November, somehow making my Star Specs live until then. It seemed winter snow and cold temperatures would be the first test for these tires.

At $84 a tire, they looked like an excellent bargain. I kept wondering what the catch was, what might be their Achilles heel. If anything, it might be the somewhat soft sidewall. The 4X is the replacement for the Kumho ASX which was, in some circumstances, known to literally roll off of wheels because of the soft sidewalls. I knew I was basically one of the first customers to test a somewhat unknown products, but I decided to bite the bullet and give them a shot.

The result? I couldn't be happier with them. In the 4000 miles I've put on them, they haven't failed me once. In winter, the stood up to harsh cold, snow, and slush. At times where I had to go relatively slow with my Proxes 4's in the snow, the 4X's soldiered on, unhindered. There was one point where I slid the car through a turn in complete control, and came out of it just fine. We had some oddly sticky slush at one point around here, so I took the car to an abandoned lot for a drive, doing a figure eight course around a pair of light poles. The tires responded well, holding a surprising amount of grip.

As winter turned into spring, warmer weather came, and rain with it. In the dry and wet, these tires performed above and beyond what I thought they would, behaving just as TireRack desribed. At one point in April, I hit a large puddle of standing water at about 50 MPH, which would normally mean hydroplaning into the nearest solid object. Not this time. The car went straight on, and didn't even leave the lane. I was stunned at this.

Whenever conditions are dry, I tend to be a very spirited driver, taking turns as fast as the tires, or the speed limit, can take. While understeer will eventually be noticed, especially on cars like ours, these tires do indeed perform similar to a summer tire.

These tires come with a 60,000 mile warranty, and from what I've seen in the six months I've owned them, I'm looking forward to every mile I can get out of them.

"The Value of Life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply Stirred." - Soichiro Honda
[CONEV8R] 10:52 pm: blowjob gasket
[CONEV8R] 10:53 pm: err.... i mean, head gasket
Kaelorr: "It is, to this day, the only Honda I've ever seen roll coal."

Last edited by ILxIntegra; 06-18-2012 at 03:08 AM.
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 03:25 AM

Brand and Model of Tire: Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
Size of Tire: 205/50R15
Class of Tire: Extreme Performance Summer
Treadwear Rating: 200
Traction Rating: A
Speed Rating: V
Max Load: 1168 lbs
Max Pressure: 51 psi
Pressure You Run: 35 psi
Tread Depth (in): 10/32"
Tire Weight: 21 lbs
Rim Size you use: 15x7
Section Width: 8.4"
Tread Width: 7.7"
Country of Origin: Japan
Image of the Tread:

Your Review:

General:
Would you buy this tire again?: Yes
Wet: 8
Hydroplane Resistance: 8
Wet Traction: 8

Dry: 10* see comments
Cornering Stability: 10
Dry Traction: 10
Steering Response: 10

Snow: N/A
Light Snow Traction: N/A
Deep Snow Traction: N/A
Ice Traction: N/A

Comfort: 9
Ride Comfort: 9
Noise Comfort: 8
Treadwear: 7

Additional Thoughts:

I originally purchased these tires in May of last year after I killed one of my Proxes 4's. The idea was to buy these in time for Dragon, then really give them a workout there. However, due to engine trouble, my car was unable to make it last year. So, I had to settle for spirited driving all through the summer and fall.

I was originally looking at the RE-11's, but at $150 a tires, I just wasn't ready to commit so much money. The Z1, at $115 a tire, sounded like a great tire for a somewhat better price. I had heard of people trying to drift with these tires, only to be unable to break the car loose in order to do so. I also considered the Kumho XS at an even cheaper price somewhere under $100, but I had heard they don't fare so well in the wet, so I decided to go for the Z1's.

I had never driven on a summer tire before, so I was astounded at how well these tires gripped the road and turned through corners. It was like a dream, taking corners at speeds I had never dared. I have never once heard these tires make any noise while going through a corner under stress either.

In the wet, I had no problems either. Cornering and braking was fine, and I ran into no problems whatsoever.

I would definitely recommend this tire if you're looking for something cheaper than RE-11's, but a little more dailyable than the XS. These seem to be a very excellent medium.
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 30 reviews
Anyone know anything about the new Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R's? I'm looking for 205/45/16's and I was gonna go for RE-11's, but they seem to have finally updated their "Extreme Summer Performance" tire. Any thoughts? http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 04:02 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlangy View Post
Anyone know anything about the new Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R's? I'm looking for 205/45/16's and I was gonna go for RE-11's, but they seem to have finally updated their "Extreme Summer Performance" tire. Any thoughts? http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
I'd probably wait after the initial reviews come out, some stuff I've read mentioned they are a step up to the RE-11A.
http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/1108...stones-re-71r/
It looks like they'll come out March 2nd.

I ran the RE-11A, and just recently replaced them. Enjoyed the overall grip they offered, however I feel they would have worn better if I had run a 15x7 or 15x8 rather than pinching them on a 15x6. Heavy use of autox averaging one to two a month, I got around 4000 miles out of them. But the RE-11As were great in the rain.

I downsized to the Dunlop ZII Star Spec in 195/55/15 to run on my stock wheels. Will find out after this weekend how they perform.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page