Wheel Offset - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

Team-Integra.net is the premier Acura Integra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2009, 03:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Model: Integra LS
Year: 1995
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Wheel Offset

Im still confused on how wheel offset works. The lower the offset is the more the wheel sticks out? Or is it the opposite? help
alexg562 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2009, 04:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 6 reviews

my understanding is.... 0 offset is the hub part ( where the studs go through the wheel) at the center of the wheel (width wise) So if you have a + positive offset the mounting point moves outward. Negative it moves inward. Hope that makes sense.

Example: You have a 7 in. wide tire with a 0 offset...You'll then have a 3.5 inch lip. since it's dead center. Like a Rota w/ a normal 40 something offset..doesn't have much of a lip ( you should know how most Rotas look) Now with a rim that has a big ass lip it would have a negative offset or very low offset.

I still don't know exactly how to factor in everything to get a certain look..like getting the rim flush w/ the body panel. I've actually never really looked into it. But hoped that helped a little. I'm sure more people will be able to explain it better and possibly have pictures
A97B18B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2009, 07:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Model: Integra GS-R
Year: 1996
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

The offset is how far from the center of the wheel the mounting surface is "offset" or distanced. Positive moves it towards the outside of the wheel, and negative towards the inside. So the above example is correct.

Honda's typically have a fairly high offset in the mid +30's to high +40's even. Anywhere in that range will be fine if you are using a 7" or narrower rim. When you get wider than that, you need to be careful that the extra width that you're adding doesn't move inward towards your suspension components and interfere with operation during turning. But if you take too low of an offset (like +10 or something lower, let alone negative), you can end up having your tire hitting body panels when the suspension compresses, or if your ride is lowered, the inside of the fenders when turning hard.

one benefit of lower offset is that the wider stance it provides. Aside from the wider tires, the wheels will sit further apart from each other, which widens your base of support and increases handling, usually. Too wide of offsets and wheels can negatively affect your handling however by giving feedback thru the steering system - such as a jerk on the steering wheel from bumps or uneven roads. Also wider wheels will become unbalanced more easily. That however shouldn't be a problem with the wheel sizes that fit on the tegs - reasonably anyways.

So a safe bet for 7" wide rims would be a PCD of 4 x 100, with an offset of +42, but lower down to say +35 shouldn't hurt.
rocketsauce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 02:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Model: Integra LS
Year: 1995

Lol wow, thanks. it helped. Im trying to go +0 offset with some XXR 002'S, Will these create any problems?
alexg562 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 03:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Model: GS
Year: 2000
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Ok. Now I finally understand offset. So what is the offset of the LS mesh rims that came with our cars? I have those currently so I would compare those to other aftermarket rims and such.

The Renegade's sale thread HERE!
Xbox Live Gamer Tag: The Renegade777
The_Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

If you're putting 8" 0 offset rims on a dc, prepare for alot of camber, and fender work, and slamming the shit out of your car to make it work. Stretched tire too. i've seen 15" x 8" +15 on a dc, and that had a bit of trouble fitting the car
jdm90integ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

15 x8 +15 is cake
AutofashionBobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2010, 05:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Very Easy:

0 offset = the wheel's mounting surface (with the holes for the lug nuts) is directly on the centerline of the rim's width.

Positive offset = the wheel's mounting surface is further towards the outside face of the wheel; between the centerline and the outside face of the wheel.

Negative offset = the wheel's mounting surface is between the centerline of the wheel and the inner most side of the wheel.

Draw pictures, its easier to visualize that way.

In such, Lower offsets will make the wheels stick out of the fenders more.
97CrimsonSedan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2010, 06:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

is offset good for anything? I really don't undrestand its point
ATegNamedXyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2010, 06:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Model: LS
Year: '97
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Hope this will help you understand a litte better. So pretty much the lower the ofset the further the wheel sticks out and the higher the offset the wheel will not stick out as far. Also usually the lower the ofset the bigger the lip is going to be.

Ya DiG?
JOSH27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2010, 08:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

Model: Integra GS-R
Year: 1996
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutofashionBobb on Jan/20/10
15 x8 +15 is cake
Any photos of this with clearance? I'd love to get some 8" 11Rs or XT7s, but can't find an offset lower than than like +32. What do you think, 17x8 +32? Gonna fit?
rocketsauce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2010, 08:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Model: STi
Year: 2005
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATegNamedXyla on Jan/19/10
is offset good for anything? I really don't undrestand its point
You need to know it to make sure your wheels are going to fit. Generally you'll want a wheel that has an offset in the +40's range as they fit pretty much like stock. The new craze is low offsets and stretched tires however like the slammed craze it hurts performance and most of those cars are for shows and hard parking. Depends on what you want to do with the car.
97lsteggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #13 (permalink)

Great Pics JOSH
pulga37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2010, 09:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I wanna run a 15x8 and make it flush what offset would I need for that (assuming I can at all).
prodigee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.