My quest to have a good daily driver begins - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My quest to have a good daily driver begins

Hello everyone,

My name is Mat (you can call me Ash, Mathew, Mat. Up to you) and I have just bought a 1995 Integra LS automatic. The vehicle is entirely stock inside and out. It has 260k miles and, with that considered, the thing drives really well.

Before I get any further info detail on the car and my plans for it, I'll give you a little background on me. I have very little mechanic experience, in fact almost, but I have a little knowledge of Honda/Honda motors and I am a quick learner who is very good at researching things on the Internet. I have a few friends who are rather experienced mechanics including two professional mechanics, one of which just graduated from an automotive engineering program with a 4.2 GPA. Enough about me back to the car.

As I was saying, for having 260k miles on it the integra drives infinitely better than expected but:

1. It burns oil. I can especially smell it when I turn the heat on but the car only smokes a slight bit when it's cold. Once warm it doesn't appear to smoke. Not sure if it's the rings, head gasket, or both.

2. The thermostat just went out and I have a theory that the radiator has a pinhole leak on top of that.

3.it's an automatic and a B series manual transmission is just not in my price range at the moment

4. I have a d16y8 motor/trans I purchased in a 97 or 98 civic ex a while ago. The civic is fully drivable but the rear windshield was shattered by hail and the front windshield is one stiff breeze away from shattering itself. Replacement costs would be around the same price as I paid for the Integra and I love the integra body style.

So I plan to swap the D16 into the Integra and do a manual conversion. I'll be trading the B series head and automatic transmission as part of the payment to get the swap done but save the block to build on over time so I can afford to build a ls/vtec motor the right way.

Thanks for bearing with me through this long winded introduction of myself, my car, and my plans and please forgive me for the multitude of noob questions I may ask after failing to find an answer already posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 02:07 PM

Garage
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Welcome to the site.

While your plans to build an LS/VTEC is admirable and a good choice, you're going to find that the d-series will be a big disappointment if you're going to be daily driving until then. Honda/Acuras already suffer in the torque department, and you'll definitely have even less of it with a d-series (approx 20ft-lbs less). The Civic could get away with the d-series since those had 400-600lbs less weight than our Integras. Just give yourself plenty of time to merge and accelerate on highways & roadways. Power can always fun, but it can also help get yourself out of sticky situations as well.

770whp/500wtq @31psi E85

2013 Carlisle P&S 1st Place Acura Integra Class Winner
2011 Carlisle P&S 1st Place Acura Integra Class Winner

2010 Carlisle P&S 1st Place Acura Class Winner
2009 Carlisle P&S 2nd Place Acura Class Winner
2007 Tuner-Evolution 1st Place Acura Class Winner

Click Me: Check Out My Build Thread - From Stock to 770WHP
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 03:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkz24 View Post
Welcome to the site.

While your plans to build an LS/VTEC is admirable and a good choice, you're going to find that the d-series will be a big disappointment if you're going to be daily driving until then. Honda/Acuras already suffer in the torque department, and you'll definitely have even less of it with a d-series (approx 20ft-lbs less). The Civic could get away with the d-series since those had 400-600lbs less weight than our Integras. Just give yourself plenty of time to merge and accelerate on highways & roadways. Power can always fun, but it can also help get yourself out of sticky situations as well.
Hey there JJ, thanks for the reply. I apologize for the extremely late response. But I would like to say that I decided to keep my Teggy running the stock B18b1 until I have assembled everything for lsvtec and the manual conversion. The motor still has plenty of power despite (this is an educated guess at best) having bad piston rings. Now I just have to decide what I'm doing with my d16 as I gather parts for lsvtec.

Just an update on my plans:

I decided that I would use a b16 head and transmission. That's about as far as I've got lol.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashby85 View Post
Hey there JJ, thanks for the reply. I apologize for the extremely late response. But I would like to say that I decided to keep my Teggy running the stock B18b1 until I have assembled everything for lsvtec and the manual conversion. The motor still has plenty of power despite (this is an educated guess at best) having bad piston rings. Now I just have to decide what I'm doing with my d16 as I gather parts for lsvtec.

Just an update on my plans:

I decided that I would use a b16 head and transmission. That's about as far as I've got lol.

Idk what's in your price range but have you considered buying a bombed out manual Integra for cheap and taking what you need for the swap and selling the rest? I say this because that's what I did with my Auto LS before I sold it after getting a GS-R. I bought a rusted out 94 LS manual with 225k on the clock from a lady in northern WI. The car drove fine an shifted great, even had all the service records! I took all the pieces I needed out of it and what I could sell and scrapped the car, it was rusted out to the point of no return. Made my $850 back from buying the car and got the swap parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page