Gen3-build log (new guy) - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By jjkz24

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gen3-build log (new guy)

So I know all of you are expecting a build log but firsts things first. Im going to tell you a bit about me.
ABOUT ME

I'm young and have always read over 50+ page build logs of cool cars and now is my time to actually make one myself.
I am super excited but also know just about nothing about cars. So i look forward to the learning process.
I don't make LOTS of expendable money so this project will be a tad slow.

GOAL

Reach 400+ Whp at my high altitude while having the components to horse beat my car daily for years.

ABOUT THE CAR

I purchased a 98 Integra LS from a co-worker for $1000
It currently runs and has minimal body/frame issues. (infact the undercarriage looks fantastic!)
Has plenty of "worn out" components like switches

PLANS (to be updated with each post)

Right now the vehicle will not pass emissions in my county as it has been previously registered in a county that does not require a pass.
The issues are/were: aftermarket exhaust with no Cat. swapped to OBD1, missing O2
So far what ive done is welded a universal Cat into the test pipe ordered a P78 ecu (i may be wrong but pretty sure its a P78 so it should just be stock)
and ive ordered a 13363 bosch O2 (downstream stock O2) +saddle type bung

If you have read this far then great! I will be sure to take as many photos of the progress as possible.
Please provide ALL feedback you have including suggestions on what i should do in the future.

cant figure out TIForums image uploader so heres an imgur album link: The Teggy - Album on Imgur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 05:44 AM

Garage
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Welcome and little confuse on how your going to reach your 400whp goal when you don't know much about how to achieve it.

My question is how your going to achieve 400whp on a P78?

By the way P78 came from a B series OBD1 Automatic.

Under 2 more years left. I can apply for Historic Tags for my GS/VTEC Automatic and no more SMOG

Last edited by phatintegra; 01-04-2017 at 05:47 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatintegra View Post
Welcome and little confuse on how your going to reach your 400whp goal when you don't know much about how to achieve it.

My question is how your going to achieve 400whp on a P78?

By the way P78 came from a B series OBD1 Automatic.

great question! and thank you for the welcome.

So far I rely heavily on friends in my life who know much more about cars then I do.

The P78 was only to get it back to OBD2 so that I can pass emissions. (i may have a work around so ill post back this monday/tuesday if it works)
Otherwise the ECU will be returned to the ebay seller and ill stay on the OBD1

The HP goal will be reached (i hope) by boosting it.
Not sure if i mentioned earlier but it has a B18B1 with roughly 250k on it. The motor will be 100% overhauled and tuned on a Neptune RTP
My mind is quite set one this chip from all the research ive done.

I was also incorrect on it being a P78 it was a P75 I had ordered.

Hope that answers all your questions.

Is 400 HP a difficult goal?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 07:38 AM

Garage
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
It's not a difficult goal, but you'll have some $$$ in it. What parts and/or steps are you taking to get to your goal? Maybe we can guide you if we know what you're planning.
phatintegra and dsizer89 like this.

770whp/500wtq @31psi E85

2013 Carlisle P&S 1st Place Acura Integra Class Winner
2011 Carlisle P&S 1st Place Acura Integra Class Winner

2010 Carlisle P&S 1st Place Acura Class Winner
2009 Carlisle P&S 2nd Place Acura Class Winner
2007 Tuner-Evolution 1st Place Acura Class Winner

Click Me: Check Out My Build Thread - From Stock to 770WHP
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkz24 View Post
It's not a difficult goal, but you'll have some $$$ in it. What parts and/or steps are you taking to get to your goal? Maybe we can guide you if we know what you're planning.
As of right now I'm unsure specifically what im going to be getting.
Considering the car runs im just trying to get it street legal.

This weekend ill be updating with new photos and work getting done to it though.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 11:40 AM

Garage
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkz24 View Post
Like jjkz24 mention. We understand your going turbo but you need to do some research and homework first before we can guide you in the correct direction for example:

Turbo size?
injector size?
Motor internals block and head?
etc?

To much variables and directions on how to achieve the 400hp mark and lot's of $$$ you will be spending. We don't know what your budget look like.

Remember this once your start modding a vehicle the more your going to spend on keeping it running.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatintegra View Post
Like jjkz24 mention. We understand your going turbo but you need to do some research and homework first before we can guide you in the correct direction for example:

Turbo size?
injector size?
Motor internals block and head?
etc?

To much variables and directions on how to achieve the 400hp mark and lot's of $$$ you will be spending. We don't know what your budget look like.

Remember this once your start modding a vehicle the more your going to spend on keeping it running.

Awesome responce.

Turbo size: I have no clue. I would like to mitigate lag as much as possible. I know this is silly but I planned on buying a kit rated up to 550 or so.
Is this a bad Idea? Should i do more research on turbo sizes?

Injector size: I was thinking 800+ as Id like to do a "track tune" on E85 down the road. I hear I should consider doing new fuel lines as E85 eats them up.

Motor: Planned to send my B18B1 to my brother who is VERY experienced with honda and leaving that up to him.
And I am very much interested in learning myself so i was going to buy a "learner" motor to build on my own but again that will be down the road.

Question for the community:
I dont want to drive a DD all the time with a 5" exhaust is there a good header/exhaust/muffler setup i could run to keep things quiet?
I can easily research this (and I will) but id also like to know what people are running and if they like it or not.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE 1/8/2017

So Ive come across a few problems after working on the car this weekend.

I'm having problems with window motors and lock motors.
To be more specific: When I use the power lock switch the drive side door does not lock 100% of the time. If i try to lock by the switch and it fails I try to manually engage the lock indicator. (flappy thing above the handle?) Well it has tension behind it and does not allow me to change its positions. I didn't have time to look into it just yet as i expect ill have to buy new parts but does anyone have some light to shed on this?

Also then I use the door lock switch I can hear all the motors continue to rapidly switch. This is my first honda/acura so i dont know if thats how they are made to operate. In my newer vehicle if I operate the locks and continue to hold the switch down nothing happens except they lock...once. Are my contacts in the switches bad so multiple signals get sent? The same thing happens with my sunroof motor. When it is fully closed you can hear the motor to work.

If thats unclear I can post a video demonstrating the issue.

Moving on to what work was done!

So on paper it doesn't sound like much but myself and a friend (my "master fabricator") worked from 9AM to 7PM

We installed new lift supports (old were junk of course)
Lesson learned buy these online I paid 30ea to my local autozone when online was literally 1/2 price.

We tore out all the old factory dampening material and bed lined the rear interior.
I cleaned up this epoxy that the previous owner put around the incorrect headlights to try and seal them. (any suggestions on replacements?)
And finally we made a battery box to relocate it to the rear.

Still cant get the attachments to work for whatever reason. (if someone knows what im doing wrong please let me know.)

but anyways I've updated the imgur album.
The Teggy - Album on Imgur
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 10:38 PM

Articles: 1
Regarding the locks, if your door is open, you must hold the door latch open to lock the door. This might be what is preventing you from manually engaging the lock. The intermittent problem is likely the lock actuator. These wear out and could become intermittent before totally failing.

While surfing Team-Integra.net I listen to Pandora.com
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by knavekid View Post
Regarding the locks, if your door is open, you must hold the door latch open to lock the door. This might be what is preventing you from manually engaging the lock. The intermittent problem is likely the lock actuator. These wear out and could become intermittent before totally failing.
weird is that supposed to be like that? it seems counter productive. Anyways great information. thank you.
I think ill post a short video of the lock noise.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 06:20 PM

Articles: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubby View Post
weird is that supposed to be like that? it seems counter productive. Anyways great information. thank you.
I think ill post a short video of the lock noise.
This is only for the drivers door and is to help prevent locking the keys in the car. I bought an '81 Accord hatch brand new and had it for over a year before I learned that trick. This was in the day before keyless remote entry and I had always used the key to lock the door. My RSX works the same way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page