Okay so, Its been a while since I have been on Team Integra forums, but when I was here with my RS, the general consensus was 'get a GS-R'. After trying to save the RS, I felt like I was winning a battle against time, for little reward. I traded it and my 1999 Camry in on a 2006 Civic EX Coupe, and felt I had a new chance. The consensus on that, 'get an Si'. I was even more disheartened and decided, this time, I have to do it right.
The issue with buying a GS-R here in Arizona, is there are a LOT of them in minty condition, for a price. The price was outside of my budget (that I quickly made up once I got christmas bonuses, various payouts on side work, etc) and decided to look at what was in my range.
What I found was 2 options. The first was a terrible grotty GSR. Holes in exhaust, unknown tuning, no CEL's even though it was catless, no coolant gauge readings, uncomfortable and generally a pile. The second was a daily driver for 226k miles. No mods, but generally kept up. So I bought it for $2550.
Here she is:
What this pic shows is the disgusting wheels and fading paint on the front bumper. Which is also on the rear bumper, hood, roof and trunk. What it does not show is the stock spoiler being rattle canned a similar green, and the banged up fender and rear trim panel. Luckily though we have options.
I bought the car December 29th, despite having a P0135 CEL code (O2 Heater Circuit Failure). The same night I went to buy a O2 sensor, but did not get it installed.
Friday December 30th, I decided if this was going to stay with me, I had to change those disgusting wheels. I found a set of decent 'fat fives' for $200 with good tires. By the time I got home with them, I had a new set of wheels and the same amount of money I had left with. Thanks side jobs!
New Years Eve 2016, I got busy. Not a ton of pictures, but lots of video to edit. The things I have done.
- Swapped out the 3 Spoke Wheels for the Polished Fat Fives.
- Installed the O2 Sensor (which cleared the code thankfully, I was starting to panic a bit about whether or not I was lied too.)
- Replaced Spark plugs, as the original ones look burned/black.
- Added a quart of oil (It was low)
- Did a compression test of Cylinder #1.
That last one was enough to punch me in the gut. 150 psi and nearly got the adapter stuck in the spark plug hole. Thanks to some quick thinking, I stuck a phillips screwdriver on the adapter and lightly tapped it while turning, using the vibration to walk it out. Simple.
After some googling, I found that the optimal (or target) compression was 270 psi, even though most stock GSR's in good condition got ~250 psi. Im 100 psi short, and at 226k miles, I was not surprised one bit. But sad that this thing wasn't going to be anything to rave about.. yet.
It will be a few weeks before any updates are made here, as I move in early February, and won't be ripping anything apart until that happens and I get some more funds, as I blew my year end wad on get an almost leak free, unmodified GSR.
This is only the beginning. I know nothing about GSR's except for what I have read on the forums. I am an information sponge, and hope to use all of it when I start ripping this green turd apart, and making it into an Emerald.