New Car, New Life - A GSR Build Thread - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Car, New Life - A GSR Build Thread

Okay so, Its been a while since I have been on Team Integra forums, but when I was here with my RS, the general consensus was 'get a GS-R'. After trying to save the RS, I felt like I was winning a battle against time, for little reward. I traded it and my 1999 Camry in on a 2006 Civic EX Coupe, and felt I had a new chance. The consensus on that, 'get an Si'. I was even more disheartened and decided, this time, I have to do it right.

The issue with buying a GS-R here in Arizona, is there are a LOT of them in minty condition, for a price. The price was outside of my budget (that I quickly made up once I got christmas bonuses, various payouts on side work, etc) and decided to look at what was in my range.

What I found was 2 options. The first was a terrible grotty GSR. Holes in exhaust, unknown tuning, no CEL's even though it was catless, no coolant gauge readings, uncomfortable and generally a pile. The second was a daily driver for 226k miles. No mods, but generally kept up. So I bought it for $2550.

Here she is:

What this pic shows is the disgusting wheels and fading paint on the front bumper. Which is also on the rear bumper, hood, roof and trunk. What it does not show is the stock spoiler being rattle canned a similar green, and the banged up fender and rear trim panel. Luckily though we have options.

I bought the car December 29th, despite having a P0135 CEL code (O2 Heater Circuit Failure). The same night I went to buy a O2 sensor, but did not get it installed.
Friday December 30th, I decided if this was going to stay with me, I had to change those disgusting wheels. I found a set of decent 'fat fives' for $200 with good tires. By the time I got home with them, I had a new set of wheels and the same amount of money I had left with. Thanks side jobs!

New Years Eve 2016, I got busy. Not a ton of pictures, but lots of video to edit. The things I have done.

- Swapped out the 3 Spoke Wheels for the Polished Fat Fives.

- Installed the O2 Sensor (which cleared the code thankfully, I was starting to panic a bit about whether or not I was lied too.)
- Replaced Spark plugs, as the original ones look burned/black.
- Added a quart of oil (It was low)
- Did a compression test of Cylinder #1.

That last one was enough to punch me in the gut. 150 psi and nearly got the adapter stuck in the spark plug hole. Thanks to some quick thinking, I stuck a phillips screwdriver on the adapter and lightly tapped it while turning, using the vibration to walk it out. Simple.

After some googling, I found that the optimal (or target) compression was 270 psi, even though most stock GSR's in good condition got ~250 psi. Im 100 psi short, and at 226k miles, I was not surprised one bit. But sad that this thing wasn't going to be anything to rave about.. yet.

It will be a few weeks before any updates are made here, as I move in early February, and won't be ripping anything apart until that happens and I get some more funds, as I blew my year end wad on get an almost leak free, unmodified GSR.

This is only the beginning. I know nothing about GSR's except for what I have read on the forums. I am an information sponge, and hope to use all of it when I start ripping this green turd apart, and making it into an Emerald.

1996 Acura Integra RS Coupe - B18B1 - Gone
1996 Acura Integra GS-R Coupe - B18C1 - My new love
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 02:50 AM

Make sure you did the compression test properly, Full throttle and remove all spark plugs ....I was getting similar results (i.e approx 120 PSI) without those instructions but once I did those steps I got close to 240 PSI

My engine has 150k miles,notwithstanding.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:53 PM

Articles: 1
It sounds like you have a nice platform to start from. With 226K miles, you can't expect the compression to be as good as a low mileage car. What is important is that the compression on all four cylinders is roughly the same. If it runs smooth and drives well, you can delay rebuilding it. There are plenty of items that should be inspected and replaced on a car that old. All bushings should be checked out. Inspect the motor mounts. Do you know how many miles since the timing belt was changed? If the timing belt fails, it can damage the engine.

Good luck with your project!

While surfing Team-Integra.net I listen to Pandora.com
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:22 AM

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
good pickup! i actually like those 3 spoke wheels. then again, i tend to like the older stuff lol

1996 DB8 Bought 2003--->Sold 2010--->Bought Back May 2014 Restoration in Process!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 11:51 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Great find! Any plans in the near future? I just picked up a GSR with a RS as a work daily. Best of luck with the project!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page