Team Integra Forums banner

'94 GSR restore/build

8K views 33 replies 11 participants last post by  Sr1239 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. Starting this thread to create a log of my '94 GSR and share pics with others. I've owned the car for five months now and plan to own it for a very long time. The car has 110K on it and seems to be in pretty good condition. I enjoy working on cars and I want the car to be as reliable as possible. I prefer to use Honda OEM parts but will be upgrading this car here and there. So, I've done a considerable amount of maintenance to the car including (using all oem Honda parts):
-New fuel filter
- flushed power steering fluid
- changed manual transmission fluid
- changed oil and filter with Mobil 1
- new pcv valve
- new clutch slave and master cylinder
- bleed brake and clutch fluid
- all new exhaust rubber hangers (exhaust rattles. for now)
- new VTEC solenoid gaskets
- new cam seal
- new valve cover gasket set
- all new bolts for the valve cover

- repainted valve cover
- repainted exhaust manifold heat shield w/ high temp paint

I'm sure there is more but that's all I can think of at this point. I'm very much so into car detailing as well... Just compounded and then polished the whole car and put a coat of sealant on it. Here is a engine pic I took today. :vtec228:

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Thanks. Forgot to mention the previous owner installed a yonaka catback exhaust. Other than that the car is stock. Near future plans include installing a skunk2 short shifter and skunk2 weighted shift knob along with hardrace shifter linkage bushings. The front bumper has a deep scuff (previous owner did it) on the drivers side so I'm really wanting to repair that and repaint the front bumper. The hood also has some etching from bird droppings that were not cleaned off and went through the clear coat. All that being said the front bumper and hood will hopefully be repainted soon.

Future projects for the car when I get some time:
- install skunk2 short shifter/ skunk2 weighted shift knob/ hardrace shifter linkage bushings
- replace the rear trailing arm bushings with oem Honda bushings
- new tires (Dunlop Direzza z2 star spec 195/55/15)
- get an alignment
- replace the clutch
- sand/primer/paint front bumper and hood

Anyways, took some quick pics today...

#7 ·
Replaced the o-ring under #3 cam cap that controls where oil is distributed in the head as well as oil pressure. Also, changed the o-rings on the oil orifice shafts in the head. VTEC hits hard now, yo. In the pics above you can see my brand new OEM Honda splash guards that I installed after I compounded/polished the car.

Yesterday I jacked up the car and put it in jack stands to crawl under the car while it was running to hopefully find my exhaust leak and possibly fix my exhaust rattle as well. Couldn't get the exhaust hanger to bend. There is a crack where the Yonaka exhaust was welded on causing a nasty exhaust leak. With that being said it looks like I need to make a trip to the local exhaust shop to get both of those things fixed. Maybe one of these days I will get my Skunk2 short shifter and Skunk2 weighted shift knob along with the Hardrace shifter bushings installed...

#20 ·
Well I installed my "new"Yonaka Motorsports axle-back/muffler today. The rattle is now gone, it was the muffler!! The new muffler Yonaka sent me ($180) has a small dent on the top of the exhaust tip and also some scratching on the front face of the muffler and some on the tip as well. I'm really not impressed with the quality or quality assurance done by Yonaka Motorsports. This is pretty much BS on their part, so here's your warning about Yonaka Motorsport's....

Anyways, I do like the sound of the Yonaka cat-back so I made a short clip of the first start up with the new axle-back. No more rattle at 1700-2000 RPM's!!!

#22 ·
No offense but yonaka products are pretty much cheap junk. The fiberglass packing of the muffler blows out pretty quick causing the same rattle you speak of eventually causing them to get gradually more raspy. My sister and a friend of mine have both experienced the same thing. They do sound decent for what they are but you basically pay for what you get. Also paying almost 200 for a muffler when the whole catback goes for roughly 230-250 is a little ridiculous. The car looks great though I'm definitely jealous of how clean it is

#23 · (Edited)
Cleaned the engine bay up a little bit today, took a couple of pics. Last week I got brand new tires, BF Goodrich Sport COMP-2's. Replaced the old Michelin A/S tires, which needed to be replaced (two tires had nails in them, inner tire edge wear on them as well, some dry rot, plus they were made in 2005 -11 years old) so I thought it would be a nice safety and tire grip upgrade! I changed the rear trailing arm bushings last week too.

#25 ·
Man, beautiful dude. I literally just bought one yesterday myself. A 95 1 owner, dealer maintained and bone stock with 168k miles. She needs some work as the previous owner did add a bunch of wires and buttons etc and the paint is oxidized but Im hoping to restore her to her former glory. Mine is also black so seeing this really got me motivated to get out there this weekend and make some progress.

I made a post about it but I think the mods have to approve it or something. Anyway, as a fellow Texan, maybe I'll see ya on the road.

Here she is as she sits now. GSR - Album on Imgur

#27 · (Edited)
FUTURE PLANS FOR THE CAR

Ok, so I thought it was time to make a future plans/build list of what I plan to have all done to the car. My current financial situation is not great so these plans will not fully kick off until I find a full-time position cause this is going to cost a lot of money, lol. By the way, all work will be done by myself. The list is in the order at which I plan to modify/restore the car.

Stage 1
CLUTCH INSTALL
-Exedy clutch kit
-resurface OEM flywheel
-Use APR flywheel bolts
-new OEM Honda axle seals
-new OEM Honda rear main seal
-install new OEM Honda motor mounts - all five
*Clean/degrease transmission/engine block/right lower engine bay
**Possibly tap into the transmission and replace the input shaft bearings (doesn't need them but would do just cause I'd be in the trans)
***MFactory LSD :biggrin:

Stage 2
SUSPENSION
-Hardrace front chamber kit
-Hardrace rear chamber kit
-Hardrace front Lower control arms
-Hardrace rear lower control arms
-Hardrace front sway bar bushings
-Hardrace front sway bar endlinks
-Hardrace rear sway bar bushings
-Hardrace rear sway bar endlinks
-Hardrace front compliance bushings
-Hardrace front lower balljoints
-H&R OE Sport springs
-Koni orange shocks
-OEM ITR bumpstops

Stage 3 :vtec228:
BOLT ONS
-Skunk2 Alpha header
-Carsound hi-flow cat
-Password JDM carbon fiber air intake
-Skunk2 Pro-series intake manifold (w/thermal gasket)
-Skunk2 68mm throttle body (w/ thermal gasket)
-Hondata S300
*Get a dyno tune*

***I don't know how long I'll stay at stage 3, just going to have fun and at that time do some track days with the car.

Stage 4 (Eventually)
Build engine block and put together a nice high quality turbo kit. I have most parts in mind already but will post those on a later date.

////I'm sure I'm forgetting some things, but this all I can think of for now.

#29 · (Edited)
Been polishing the underside of the hood lately... What a job that is. Doing it by hand so this is going to take a while, just doing it here and there. But WOW what a difference it makes, night and day, crud on there from 1994 is no joke.

After installing the new rear trailing arm bushings I wanted to get the car aligned, so I took it to a shop and they said the rear had too much camber and they wouldn't do an alignment on it because the rear upper control arms have no adjustment. SO, I went ahead and bought/installed some new HARDRACE adjustable rear upper control arms. Got an alignment (took it to a different shop), all good now. Did not want my new BF Goodrich Sport COMP-2 to wear uneven!

Anyways, here is a new quick video of the car:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.