3PedalJohn's Integra - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
3PedalJohn's Integra

Hello Everyone!

My name is John and I am from WI. Decided to start a thread on here as a way to document what I've done and doing with my cars. Team Integra has been a very helpful resource for me when I've worked on my Integra(s)

My First Integra was a 1987 LS 5PD that I purchased for $700 back when I was 16. I loved that car, it got me through getting my license to my first year in college. Sadly I drove a 1997 Saturn SW1 wagon through my first year out of college, until I picked up my current DD, a 2004 Acura TL 6MT when I lived in Houston TX. This is such a great car, if you ever find a 6MT one..GET IT!

When I moved back to WI a co-work kept telling me about his wife's car that he was thinking about selling (he knew I had a thing for Honda's and Acura's) Finally I decided to see some pictures when he told me he would sell if for $900. The catch it, wasn't drivable. It needed a new fuel tank, and time to complete the replacement of the brake lines and fuel line. Just before he was going to sell the car, it blew the brake lines, he started replacing the lines but never finished it. It sat like that for 2 years before I purchased it. After I saw the pictures I knew I had to get it. It was a clean 1997 Acura Integra LS but it was an AutoHowever, it was very clean considering it was a WI car and it only had 112k on the odometer. I fixed it up and got it running, all-in-all it cost me about $1500 to get it going.

It ran like a champ and I ran it for 1 winter while I stored my TL. I got sick of the Auto and bought a rusted but mechanically sound 94 Acura Integra for $800 to use as a donor car for a 5spd conversion. It was a very straight forward process and it was a great learning experience! This is when I decided I was going to start AutoX racing, I completed a season running the LS and TL and then right before the the third winter I found my current Integra a mint bone stock 96 Acura Integra GSR, it was a little high on mileage with 164k but it was to good to pass up. I found it on Craigslist at noon (posted that morning) and was driving it home by 8PM that night. I've built this car for AutoX and track days in mind. I think that's enough for now, here's a few pictures.

TL, being used for Ice RallyX, Winter Tires FTW.

TL on King's Dyno (2013) Dyno'd 250WHP and 223WTQ at the 2014 King Dyno Day

The 2014 graph, this was with VTEC set high and a work in progress tune from Vit Viper.

Acura Integra GS-Rrr before the modding started.

The Integra Dyno'd at 166WHP and 128WTQ at the 2015 King Dyno Day, performance mods include full Hytech (real deal) exhaust, Comptech Icebox and 98 Spec JDM ITR trans.

Integra LS with 5 spd swap (sold)

The 5spd Donor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 11:16 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Very clean GSR, what all do you have done to it?
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 04:13 PM

Articles: 1
That's a good chunk of Acura hands-on experience there! Welcome!

While surfing Team-Integra.net I listen to Pandora.com

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretherman View Post
Very clean GSR, what all do you have done to it?
Thanks!

I replaced all the suspension bushings with Hardrace hard rubber bushings, when I bought the car I am guessing it had all the original bushings because they were all in need of replacement. That was a long process of getting all those in.

Adjustable camber front and back,
Adjustable toe in the rear
Skunk2 Pro-C's Coilovers
ASR rear brace for the 24mm sway bar (took a little to get used to)

Hytech Tri-y header, hi-flow cat and twin-loop exhaust - Very expensive but it's a great product.
Comptech Ice Box and filter
Moroso Road Race Baffled Oil Pan

+98 Spec JDM ITR trans with LSD
Speed factory modified SCHA <- Great mod takes out all the slop and helps with 2-3 shift.
ACT Streetlite Flywheel 12.2lbs
Competition Clutch Stage 3- Segmented Ceramic

K-tuned B series ProCircuit shifter with stock knob :big grin:

205/45/16 Hankook RS3's on TR motorsports C1 wheels

Pretty simple really, I was playing to keep things in the STF or STX class for AutoX but I really wanted to try my ITR trans, which I love, minus highway driving, it can be little much. It's not bad since the longest trips I've done are to Milwaukee for AutoX and King's Dyno Day. The trans puts me in SMF which a few guys run in the local club.

Future plans:
Lots of seat time learning my set-up.
15X7" or 15X8" rims, thinking 949 6UL and R888
S300 and tune
Oil temp gauge
Wideband
Larger radiator

& Safety

Roll bar
Fixed back seat
5 or 6 point harness
New wheel to remove air bag.

These will all be for next spring since I store this car during winter. I am looking forward to my first track day at Road America this Oct. Figure I would run that first to see how I feel and what my next moves with the Integra will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knavekid View Post
That's a good chunk of Acura hands-on experience there! Welcome!
Thank you! yes I am a big Acura fan. Although the latest stuff (besides the NSX) leaves a lot to be desired.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

This week I will be getting ready for my first real track day at Road America. I am changing my front pads to Hawk HP+, flushing/bleeding the brakes, adjusting my steering rack, adjusting clutch pedal and making sure I am ready for Tech this Friday. I am interesting at seeing what other cars will be running.

This weekend I scored a complete Honda B18C1 replacement short-block as a back up, it was priced just right.

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Articles: 1
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Woah. That's a Honda factory packing job. Where'd you find that?

My FS thread

95 EJ1 Milano RIP/died/sold -> 98 DB7 CSM RIP/totalled -> 97 DB7 CSM Awful. Sold it back. -> 01 DB8 YR525M RIP/totalled -> 06 Civic LX <log offsite>

Integra friends are the best friends.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 04:10 PM

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Couldnt help but notice the SpeedFactory sticker
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaton View Post
Woah. That's a Honda factory packing job. Where'd you find that?
Good eye. Believe it or not, I found it on eBay, messaged the seller and found out he was about an hour away from me and was willing to do a local pick-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmix View Post
Couldnt help but notice the SpeedFactory sticker
Quality place! Representing their modified shift change holder assembly, it's awesome, if you do any high performance driving its a solid mod. 2-3 shift is like butter, just push it forward. The guys at the Acura dealership (in for an alignment) asked me what I did to my shifter because it felt completely different over the stock shifter, which feels pretty floppy after years of use.
dpaton likes this.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

MoaR pictures of my GS-Rrrr!

These are pictures I snapped during my large part install push. Installed my 98 spec JDM ITR trans that I picked up of Craigslist two years back, a lightweight flywheel with a stage 3 clutch, 5.5 qt baffled oil pan, Hardrace hard rubber motor mounts and rear main seal. Transmission was inspected, MSCHA swapped in and all seals replaced.

Before work started:

Clutch in place

Trans ready to install

Current engine bay

After the 500 mile clutch break-in I had my first track day event with this car at USAIR (go-kart track) to get a feel for the car. After the event I decided I needed a few mods to improve cockpit ergonomics and clutch pedal feel so I added the items below. I really like the K-tuned shifter, it makes for effortless quick gear changes and gives it that race car feel

I decided to do a second compression test for the heck of it and stupid me for got to unhook the distributor. This caused the ignition coil to fail since there wasn't anywhere for the spark/energy to go. Luckily I had two spare distributors on hand that I was able to snag a new coil from. When I went to replace the bad coil I found this:

That's the screw that holds the distributors rotor on the shaft. I have no idea how long this was like this, but I can tell you the car runs smoother after I fixed it.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 03:21 PM

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PedalJohn View Post
Quality place! Representing their modified shift change holder assembly, it's awesome, if you do any high performance driving its a solid mod. 2-3 shift is like butter, just push it forward. The guys at the Acura dealership (in for an alignment) asked me what I did to my shifter because it felt completely different over the stock shifter, which feels pretty floppy after years of use.
I was debating on getting their modified SCHA since they were installing my MFactory LSD anyways. Maybe ill go with it next time around.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmix View Post
I was debating on getting their modified SCHA since they were installing my MFactory LSD anyways. Maybe ill go with it next time around.
Not cheap but if your in there why not.

Here are two pictures showing the removed SCHA vs the Modified one, look at that spring!!

drmix and JDMJNKY like this.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Already for Tech at Road America, installed and bedded my new Hawk HP+front pads. I witnessed sparks and flames coming from the pads during brake bed in. I could see the flicker on the asphalt since the location I bed my pads in is on a back road.

Prior to this I adjusted the steering rack, this was easy and helped a ton! highly recommend. I also flushed my brake system with a liter of ATE TYP 200 fluid using my Motive brake bleeder with a modified reservoir cover holder. Using only one chain caused the cap to bend and leak so I added a piece of aluminum to get another chain around the reservoir and thus a better seal.

Seat time here I come!
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

My Integra, Myself and Brave instructors survived about a 170 miles today on Road America. Hit about ~115 to 120 MPH (according to the speedo) not sure how accurate it was but it felt fast, especially going through the kink.

My RS-3 work great but my hawk HP+ destroyed my front rotors, the HPS pads out back worked well. Anybody have pad recommendations for a fast track like Road America for a full weight Integra? Looking at upgrading to ITR front brakes for next year.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 12:37 AM

Dude check out the no b.s. bolt on brake thread!DIY: The No BS Bolt on Big brakes for RS/GS/LS/GSR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page