GODSEND DC2 Log .... Life after death the rebirth of an R - Page 10 - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
 172Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #127 of 289 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 01:59 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I know how you feel about those damn door panels. I was thinking of doing the same thing with epoxy. Let us know how it goes.
Everything else looks great so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #128 of 289 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JDMJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to JDMJNKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretherman View Post
I know how you feel about those damn door panels. I was thinking of doing the same thing with epoxy. Let us know how it goes.
Everything else looks great so far.
I'm just glad I'm not building a show car, lol, these would definitely be tossed hahaha. So far so good repair is stout.

Updating some interior woes.

I've been busy the past week, 5th year wedding anniversary, my sons birthday, and my wife's birthday is coming up and I haven't updated in a while. As for this update, I have finally found something I totally suck at, or need more experience with. AUTO UPHOLSTERY, LOL.

I attempted to re-stick my door inserts which was full of failure. I laugh this off because one, I completely rushed and didn't think through attempt one, and two I was more focused on not being late to get my daughter from school.

insert grime

Insert removed and cleaned

Dry but still has some grime stuck in the old adhesive

my diy masking w/ resources

failure began here LOL coated w/ 3m 77 adhesive ( get's very stick, very fast )

at this time my fate was already doomed and I didn't even realize what I had done. I turned my entire task into a venus fly trap; there was no escaping this sticky situation.

I didn't panic, just did my best to unravel my mess, let it dry, and come back a few days later w/ 3m adhesive remover. Cleaned off the fabric and tried it again, with a bit more common sense. Cleaning the fabric took it's toll on the edges, looking a bit more tattered.

while that dried, I did the driver panel w/ my common sense in hand

Cleaned off the overspray and adhesive transfer from my gloves LOL. Now this was a success despite it's ehh appearance. The good news is I know now, this is not my forte. I took the passenger to an upholstery shop who will charge me $20 to adhere it. If they do a good job, I will take them this driver side to be redone again. HAHA, then I'll ask for a quote to repair the vinyl before I attempt and botch that as well.

BEFORE - so it's a tie, LOL

Cleaned the door panel - forgot pic I think, but dirty speaker vent being addressed

in between drying time I prepped my RHD CF switch cover for LHD

not pretty but functional, still a few more things to do before it's all done.

1213 AFFILIATION - JDMKIDS | CALI LOVE | AS1 FAMILIA
1213 AFFINITY - Integra Log | NITE GRIND TRANSMISSIONS | GRIPSET | NASTIE GARAGE | CALI LOVE CLOTH. |
post #129 of 289 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

So horrible update. You'd think dropping your door panel off to a classic car upholstery shop would be a good thing, OH LAWD WAS I WRONG!!!! Speechless. I give him kuddos for nicely tucking the edges, but a big F for uncleanness and horribly butchering a fabric that once fit. I have no clue, how it shrank that much. I'm just going to redo these one day, or hope to trade for / buy some new door panels. I don't need a "track car" minty, but man this is no excuse.

Example, this was my 2nd attempt ever!!!

Breh!!! This is what you do for a living

post #130 of 289 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 08:56 PM

Take that shit back. It's unacceptable. Should've been cleaned before returning it to a paying customer.
dudeskee1325 and Bretherman like this.
post #131 of 289 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 04:48 PM

Seriously, thats a refund!
post #132 of 289 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 05:26 PM

What the hell! How can they even hand that back to you???

I'd re-upholster his ass.
post #133 of 289 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvia View Post
Take that shit back. It's unacceptable. Should've been cleaned before returning it to a paying customer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeskee1325 View Post
Seriously, thats a refund!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretherman View Post
What the hell! How can they even hand that back to you???

I'd re-upholster his ass.
HAHAHA you guys are too cruel. I won't even go back there. I did pay him $20 as requested for for 2 reasons, labor is an expenditure despite the quality I received and the overhead of running a shop, and all the extras, I understand. Am I happy, was I happy, no no no! This one I just decided to suck it up, bite my tongue and just leave I guess. I should have just did as planned, buy new inserts for $25 ending my nightmare swiftly. The door panel(s) is already dodgy and I was at a crossroads of investment vs worth. For now, it is make due with what I have. I can sort that later.

p.s. The dirt and grime, ticked me off later when I had to clean it, hahaha. Anyway I've moved on. I have a feeling I won't last long "making these work."

horrid - My CF switches don't even shine next to this mess.

My side still looks better than his, I resprayed and retackled this back edge. I'll be cleaning the panels up once again.

Once I got past the headache of the door panels, I began reassembling the rear. Adding seat belts, seats, and panels. Later I went on to add the filler pcs. not seen here.

with the command center 99% complete , I was set to move onto other things.

Installed my lovely R.Fab Clutch res. and bleed the system

Then lastly I set out to clean these mats, bad part is I never realized it was 2 drivers LOL. Trades anyone? Trade a driver for a passenger. I didn't get all fancy with these, just degreaser and a psi wash. I'll post more this week on the finished results.
Silvia and dudeskee1325 like this.
post #134 of 289 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

UPADTES:

Mats all cleaned up

Purchased and set out to clean this rear carpet - ended up getting the trunk board that lays beneath free from a neighbor.

found a mobile towel rack to let it hang dry

I'd forget this part everyday, finally shift knob installed

rerouted my seat belt - will look into protector pads

the previous owner of this car left 2 bolts in the QR attachment, one was removable the othe only responded to force. Today i'll be buying the NRG thin release to pair up with the existing hub.

and I finally got a sunroof switch, seen in this far left corner, yeeeeee!

installed so I can mock up intake piping - OG comptech airbox

also took the liberty to sort the DD bumper, and install the jdm clear corners, and sort the wiring for that.
post #135 of 289 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 06:47 PM

What is all that in the center console (deck area)? Looks like your ready to launch into space.
blandsarcasm likes this.
post #136 of 289 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvia View Post
What is all that in the center console (deck area)? Looks like your ready to launch into space.
hahahaha Oh you know, the usual.....

dudeskee1325 and blandsarcasm like this.
post #137 of 289 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Update.

I was able to purchase some affordable cam gears, budget for this car is drying up with many things left to do; got to pick an choose my battles ATM. I ended up stripping them down and sent them to get anodized. The red just doesn't flow with what I got going on. Better I do it now, rather than later.

also I finally decided to buy a NRG slim release

Old hub removed I went forward with the install. I'm huge on keeping horns. If you have a situation similar to mine this extremely simple, yet it can get over complicated if you think about it too much. This car did not have the SRS reel, so skip straight to the 6-pin srs connector. Cut wire 6, solder your ground lead to your extension wire.

locate 6 pin connector under dash and cut ( gray wire, labeled #22 ). Once you've cut it, strip it back a few mm. Do the same to your extension wire. Add some solder to both ends. Join the 2 via solder, then take your extension wire route it up towards the top of the column. Using a screw and ground contact of your choice, mount the wire and contact to the combination switch. I made my own contact from a random part laying in my tool box. Honda sells a "shoe horn" Honda part # 35259-SH3-A02 that also does the trick. Once all of that is done, and securely fastened you can test it by tapping the red hub lead to the hub. Your horn should sound. Once that's complete, finish assembly as you normally would.

red extension stripped for solder

Wire Gray #22 & read extension prepped w/ solder ( horrible pics, I know... )

heat shrink to cover the solder joint

My contact and wiring + Release mounted to hub. I did factor in seat position, my arm length, steering wheel depth, and hub length, before purchasing a thin release. I wanted to keep my hand as horizontal as I could in relation to the shifter. Just missing countersunk bolts to finish mounting the steering wheel.

post #138 of 289 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Articles: 1
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
For future reference, as an electrical engineer, I'll suggest something.

A proper solder joint starts with a good mechanical connection. The reference connection for joining two wires is the Western Union splice. NASA codified it in a standards manual too. It's easy and quick, and makes things much more reliable than just soldering tinned ends.

The easy instructions are here:

How-To: Splice Wire to NASA Standards | Make:

My FS thread

95 EJ1 Milano RIP/died/sold -> 98 DB7 CSM RIP/totalled -> 97 DB7 CSM Awful. Sold it back. -> 01 DB8 YR525M RIP/totalled -> 06 Civic LX <log offsite>

Integra friends are the best friends.
post #139 of 289 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 03:40 PM

Yea that technique is so strong, tests show that other areas of the wire will fail before the solder point! I use it for all my auto wiring, so much peace of mind.
JDMJNKY and dpaton like this.
post #140 of 289 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 03:49 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via MSN to atkinsonar Send a message via Yahoo to atkinsonar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaton View Post
The easy instructions are here:

How-To: Splice Wire to NASA Standards | Make:
Leave it to @dpaton to get all technical on a solder connection . I'm not knocking it at all, with all the wire work I've done, I hadn't heard of that before. I'll have to give it a whirl sometime.
JDMJNKY, dpaton and Jeffaome like this.

13 Ford Explorer (Wifes)
02 HD V-Rod (latest toy)
95 Acura Integra GSR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page