Team Integra Forums banner

Jeff's 99 GS log - No mas

60K views 425 replies 36 participants last post by  Jeffaome 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone! This log is meant to keep track of my car's progress. The plans right now (as of 8/27/13) are to start building a high compression B20. Lets see how much things change.

Index
Track day!
optional kit installed
PLM 4-2-1 header
Lip, AC fix and suspension work
SSBP valve cover
new clutch failure
Shift linkage fail
B20B Coming together
Small Dragon update
Small Dragon update
Drowsy driving no bueno
Sideskirts test mount
eBay optional side skirts
hinged trunk board
Trunk particle-board board
Bought a B20B!
FIRM Video
First track day at The FIRM
Exedy stage 1 clutch install
Painted F & R disks
Koni and H&R Race
Koni yellows unboxing
RSX-S rear calipers
ProParts order
Oil pain
Head is back!
LED cluster lights
Maad JDM stanced Y0!
Slammed on stock shocks and H&R race springs
MASSIVE exhaust leak
Keyless door handles
Sold a B20Z
Cams, mounts and ECU adapter in
New speakers
Failed attempt and suede door inserts
Bearing wear
Tore apart the engine
Bought a B20Z

Current mods
Engine: Installed at 197k miles
B20b bottom end
P8R head
Rocket Motorsports single valvesprings
LS stock cams
Cusco catch can (larger line fittings and vent added)
AEM short ram
Power steering pump delete
COOOLD AC <-Never being removed. Ever.
Funcioning Cruise control

Trans:
Type r w/ LSD
Stock shifter
Exedy OE clutch
Stock flywheel
Moogen replica shift knob

Brakes:
Stainless steel brake lines
Type r reman calipers
Wearever mini cooper front rotors
Stoptech street front pads
Wearever sliver rear pads

Suspension:
Rear subframe brace
24mm rear swaybar
adjustable endlinks
Hardrace bushings all around
Ebay front camber kit
Koni sports shocks
Eibach coilover sleeves/springs (350f/240r)

Interior:
P06 chipped ecu with basemap from Phearable.net
Pioneer X6500 headunit
Alpine type s front speakers
Alpine type r 12" subwoofer
Alpine 500w amp
LED cluster lights (DDM Tuning)
LED interior lights (ebay special)
Battery relocation (trunk)

Exerior:
Optional front lip (Replica)
Optional side skirts
Rear mud flaps
5zigen fno1-r 16x7
Nitto Neo gen (Hate these tires so much, worst tires in the wet ive ever driven on)
OE GS/GSR trunk spoiler
Shark2 antenna (Broke the tip after two weeks, oops..)

On the way to Dragon run '13

So far this is the only suspension upgrade to my car

Its a 23mm swaybar and aluminum subframe brace I got from ebay. Identical to the on Matt (Echelon) has on his car. It really made a difference

Some pics of the recent starter replacement:

As of today, this is as far as my car has gone. It is a completely stock 1999 GS. Other than the swaybar I only have a Pioneer headunit, LoCustoms antenna and a Skunk2 weighted shift knob. The rest of the car is completely OEM. Here we go :driving:

See less See more
#3 ·
i think he is getting all of my old build except the delta cams lol Fla is good for parts whoring about

waddup mayne. good to see a log

and i am NOT installing that cursed p8r head lolol.

Reactions: Jeffaome
#4 ·
I've got a p8r head sitting in my garage. Its got a stuck intake valve so I'm planning on taking it to a machine shop sometime next week. I'm supposed to be buying a b20z this weekend as well. Actually I think it's Mutt's old motor.

That said, I've been reading up a lot on b20 builds and there aren't a lot of high compression non vtecs that have extensive work logs. I'm still learning a lot, no concrete plans as far as internals yet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#5 ·
its an exhaust valve not an intake valve. (3rd one from dizzy side)

yeah, youre looking at my old motor. i miss dat torque

#8 ·
As of today, this is as far as my car has gone. It is a completely stock 1999 GS. Other than the swaybar I only have a Pioneer headunit, LoCustoms antenna and a Skunk2 weighted shift knob. The rest of the car is completely OEM. Here we go :driving:
and mad, no ANGRY, LED interior lights... their sole purpose is to burn eyeballs !!

#13 ·
So tonight I picked up dis!

Ooooh High compression!

Comes with a new t-belt and headgasket thats still in warranty. Still on the fence about this but I haven't decided what direction im going yet.

Ehh just an LS head, but it does look likes its in good condition

LS cams and gears, and a purplish/black VC, which I did not get a picture of.
Sorry about the ****ty pictures everyone, my phone camera is all I have.

I will probably start tearing apart the engine tomorrow night. This is a great excuse to search for a stand on craigslist...

#14 ·
that VC was the mess up when my good VC was getting done. the odd spots are oily spots that the PC didnt stick to.

#16 ·
I did some work to the b20 this weekend. Here are the pics of the teardown:
Degreasing

Ooof. Gross. No way this thing is going to stay in my room looking like this.

Degreaser doing its thing.

aaaand we're clean(er)! Good enough for now.

My little impact always surprises me. I almost forgot about the crank pulley bolt. It struggled for half a second and popped it right off.

And I caught the crank pulley key like a BAUSS.

Oil pan off

Oil pickup and pump removed.

Time for the pistons!

This was #4, the worst so far.

All out!

And I realized I never showed the P8R. Its got a stuck valve which will be fixed in the next few weeks.

I plan on taking the crank out this week and looking at the bearings a little closer. Just ran out of time today due to plans. More pics to come though!

#18 ·
its kind of like watching my old thread with none of the cost and effort! :D lol

good progress man. cant wait to see it goin together

#21 ·
So the block has been sleeping in my room for a week. I haven't had time to take the crank out until tonight. Here are the pics:

Ready for business!

Here are the crank bearings:

and the block side:

Aaaaaand the crank:

Now I've never taken apart an engine before. Everything shown is just me reading information off forums and recommendations from friends, so if you see me making a mistake, please let me know.

That said, the bearings don't look so hot. No material in the oil as far as I can see but there is a lot of wear. The crank looks great though, no scoring at all. The crank also rotated really smoothly, which makes me thing that a quick hone and a new seat of bearings is all the crank assembly will need since its all apart.

I'll start looking around to get an idea of what a rebuild will cost. Progress is going to be slow, things will be tough until around thanksgiving. I'll keep this log as up to date as I can though. Thanks for looking guys.

#24 ·
good progress man. i knew some of the bearings had to be **** after all of the insanity of July.

#25 ·
I'm planning on taking the head to the machine shop next week and figuring out what work needs to be done to get it functioning again. I'll definitely bring the block too, I want to know if ill need oversized bearings as well. I plan on having the rods shot peened and ive been looking everywhere for 84-84.5mm pistons on other forums. I guess ill wait on those until I know if ill be okay with just a hone or if I need to get the block bored out further.

In the meantime I picked up some Crower 403s and a set of Rocket Motorsport single valvesprings. More info coming soon!

#26 ·
So last Sunday I attempted to install some suede door panel inserts I've had lying around.

Making sure they fit:

Now, this adhesive absoultely SUCKS for a job like this. It went form tacky to hard 5 seconds after I sprayed it on.

I tried using the spatula and steamer to warm the glue up to get it to stick:

I gave up right after taking that picture. I was hot, frustrated and covered in that lovely glue that keeps the plastic the inner door. Lovely.

Yesterday made up for it though. I received my valve springs and valve stem seals!

I'm still researching to find the exact specs on these, but they have been used in a lot of NA b18 builds before and should work well with the Crower 403's that will be here sometimes this week as well.

#27 ·
ill send out those rockers by friday. been a messed up week this week

#31 ·
So my clutch is feeling very strange. I checked the inside near the clutch pedal and all of the lines, fluid and slave. I replace the slave and master cylinders about two months ago, but when I checked the fluid was dark. Ill stop by advance and replace the rubber line after class as I think it's breaking down.

I absolutely hate bleeding my clutch.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.