Team Integra Forums banner

dpaton's 2001 DB8 - p41: RIP DB8

85K views 577 replies 46 participants last post by  dpaton 
#1 · (Edited)
FOUND ONE!

Picked it up on Friday night.
Drove home through a terrible quantity of bugs.
Washed it today, swapped in my Del Sol seat, and started to make it mine.

More tk.

Thread Index
Page 1. You're here.
Page 2. Foglights and TimeSerts for the oil pan
Page 3. ASR Subframe brace.
Page 4. Overheating due to frozen coolant.
Page 5. Broken visor clip, gauge LEDs.
Page 6. Bad RTA bushings.
Page 7. Broken knock sensor wire, RTA bushing replacement.
Page 9. TPS harness replacement.
Page 12. CEL hell.
Page 13. Definitive IACV differences for OBD 1 and 2 M/T cars.
Page 14. 200,000.
Page 15. Broken side mirror, rear brake tool DIY
Page 18. Power steering rack de-powering discussion.
Page 22. Coolant hemorrhage.
Page 23. Water pump R&R, and problems.
Page 24. Walkaround video,
Page 25. The blowout that nearly killed me.
Page 27. Fuel trim hell begins.
Page 28. Humor and a bad CMC.
Page 29. Broken tweeter grille.
Page 30. Dizzy hell and Time-Serts for the cam cap bolt hole.
Page 31. Radiator fan failure.
Page 33. Wheel bearing noise and replacement.
Page 35. The 2016 fix-it list.
Page 38. The summer 2016 project plan.
Page 40. ABS codes 51 and 53.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Titanium Silver. It's a car that's been seen here before....and it's still in great shape.

Bought the drivers door handle in a factory painted matching color this morning, along with some interior garnish bits that were cracked from 179k of life.

I need to find someone selling the rear seat/trunk carpet from a 4dr. I can order it new, but it's $209, which is highway robbery. Hell, the $2.60 each for the stupid trim clips is insane, but I pay it because I'm a ***** for OEM parts :biggrin:

I also need to find someone with a factory trunk plate that's in passable shape so I can trace it. Right now my trunk is naked inside, and it's a little noisy as a result.

Need to get the tint fixed too.

Pictures soon.

#4 ·
Ffffuuuuuuu...

Oil leak from the pan. Looks like the entire front edge where it meets the block, and maybe the sides too. Could even be all the way around. A few dents on the bottom, but nothing bad enough to make the drops on my garage floor. P.O. verified it didn't leak for him, and it didn't leak on the driveway last night. Grumble.

Going to try to retorque the pan bolts and clean it up, hope it stays sealed for my drive to work tomorrow. Crossing fingers it lasts until the weekend.

#5 ·
Two stripped bolts. :frown: :frown:

Anyone ever Timesert oil pan holes? Looks like M6x1. Aluminum inserts or carbon steel? Not going to do stainless in an AL block...

Attachments

#6 ·
Ordered the M6x1 Timesert kit. It'll be here the day AFTER my long weekend ends. Figures.

In the mean time, I sprayed things down with brakeleen and wiped them of the funk they've acquired. Then I slathered the leaking area with Hondabond.

I also put a bottle of ATP-205 in the engine. There is evidence of a rear main seal leak, and maybe the front main too (the engine does have almost 180k on it, and had a tough life for a while). This stuff is magic. Get it here:

ATP AT-205 Re-Seal Stops Leaks, 8 Ounce Bottle : Amazon.com : Automotive

Finally, after driving around for a day with a radio that didn't want to tune anything in at all (why do the important parts break right after you buy a used car?), I swapped in my old Pioneer Premiere DEH-P880PRS.

And I figured as long as I had the console apart, I should go whole hog and get the foglight harnesses installed. I pulled the factory fogs off of my 98 DB7 before it was totalled, and the installation was the reverse of the removal. Nice and easy. The lamps and brackets stayed on the workbench until the long weekend, since I can't find a PDF of the templates anywhere.

She's running good and strong. Almost time for pictures I think...

#8 ·
glad to see you found a better candidate. cant wait to see some pix

#10 ·
Hoping to take a few shots this weekend.

The leak is taken care of for now. I'm not sure if it was the Hondabond or the AT-205, but one of them worked and things are dry. I'm still going to TimeSert the block for the two stripped oil pan screws though. Trying to source a proper oil pan right now to replace the banged up one.

For what it's worth, don't leave home the next morning without having someone check your hair. I had to get an early morning haircut to remove some Hondabond that I'd picked up on the top of my head while shimmying out from under my car. That was a little embarrassing.

Found my fog light templates. I'm dumb. They were the last 2 pages in the installation PDF. Oops.

#11 ·
yuck, i've had the "Honda Goo" that holds the inner door liner in place get in my hair before, had to cut it out of there.... i hate that stuff... i can imagine it's the same with Hodabond in the hair too

#14 ·
Update:

Dammit, still leaks. Not sure if it's the oil pan or the power steering, but I think the former. Just drips, but I was really hoping to not have to park over the drip tray with this one....

Timesert kit comes on Tuesday. I'll try to get the work done the following weekend.

#16 · (Edited)
Thanks. I almost turned it into a "I'm so JDM I use Hondabond instead of pomade" thing but I can't pull that off. Haven't worn pomade sice my hair was spiked as fck back in the 90s.....

Hopefully pics tomorrow. F'd up my back mowing the lawn of all things and doing the chores today at home took a lot longer than planned, negating my chances for a shoot day.

#17 · (Edited)
Fogs are in!

And they work!

Only took me an hour with a hacksaw, utility knife, leatherman, reamer, punch, scribe, file, and tape.

Attachments

#19 ·
I've used them a few times before, they're a dream once you get them installed. The hardest part is keeping everything straight when you're drilling the hole out and tapping it. Usually I like to throw the part on a big mill and use that as a glorified tap holder, but this one will be all about me eyeballing it. I'll try and post some pictures.

#20 ·
Yay, timeserts are here!

Boo, I f'd up my back yesterday and can barely move!

Install will happen over the weekend, assuming I can get a new pan gasket and perhaps a new pan in time.

#22 · (Edited)

Got the timeserts in, and found 4 more that stripped at the 2nd torque step. Now I get to order a new gasket and do it all over again.

Also, while I was working, I decided to replace the cut valve cover with an uncut one I had. 2 of the plug wires came apart in my hands, and a third was pulled apart during removal. 4th is either an old OEM or an off brand, can't tell. Need to replace them all though.

The DC header the car came with has a big crack in the 1/2 collector joint. I bolted up the old stock LS header I've been carrying around for jeebus only knows how long. Worked fine, but I needed bolts and I need gaskets to seal it up.

I noticed the lower stay for the A/C hoses was missing, the adjuster bolt for the PS pump was gone, and a bunch of other small bits under the hood were AWOL. $215 at Delray Acura will get it all fixed next weekend.

Only problem is I need to drive it Tuesday morning. I need plug wires, oil pan gasket, and exhaust gaskets. Ugh. I hate paying dealership prices.

#23 ·
Timesert time!

First step is to bore the hole clean. Then you counterbore or spot-face the edge of the hole to accept the flange on the Timesert. Third you thread the hole. You end up with something like this:

Thread the insert in by hand a few threads. More threads is fine too.

Oil the insertion tool (it looks like a tap, but is actually a thread-forming tool) and thread it into the insert.

Twist until the insert is fully seated

And remove the insert driver. Voila. Finished.

The plug wire issue was annoying.

So was the discovery of a bad crack in the header. The 1/4 weld is cracked all the way around, and there's a lateral crack in the #4 cylinder primary. Ugh. This one may get replaced rather than repaired depending on the bid for the welding and re-coating.

The new valve cover looks nice.

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HONDA please please please remove the inserts from the studs when you pull an oil pan gasket off. Two of these were stacked on one stud. No wonder it was leaking from one end.

Attachments

#24 ·
All the spots that were leaking that I fixed are fixed! Yay!

The front main seal is leaking. Boo! I can't get rid of the drip tray yet. That one's going to be tough to change. Almost as bad as the leaking rear main seal.

#25 ·
you are having all sorts of fun. getting well acquainted with the new car quickly eh? lol glad it sealed up the spots you were after at least.

#26 ·
Thanks Josh.

It's extra rough, because the previous owner is on here and is a really nice dude. It's just hard to accept that it was sold to me without leaks and I've found three in the last week, along with all the other things Ive found. Tough to reconcile.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.