Running Log - atkinsonar's GSR - Page 33 - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
 214Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #449 of 464 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via MSN to atkinsonar Send a message via Yahoo to atkinsonar
Quote:
Originally Posted by danteisme View Post
Out of curiosity, did you get your window regulator situation straightened out?
I probably won't tackle that problem until spring time now. I've got issues in both doors between the window regulators and the door lock actuators / lock mechanisms. It's another one of those car guy "while I am in there" scenarios, but my plan is to address all of the following in one shot while I have the door panels off... All of which will be more tolerable to do outside of the winter months...
  • Repair / Replace door lock mechanisms (not sure if its the rod, the lock itself, or the actuator)
  • Replace window motors, look at and maybe fix window tracks, do the fix for the "window rattle" (Fix Window Rattle for G3 Coupe - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra)
  • Replace door speakers (have Pioneer TS-D1730C components in hand to match the rear speakers I put in)
  • "Shave" the door and body side molding
  • Put some sort of sound deadener behind the door panels
  • Acquired new OEM mirror trim covers (the plastic triangle pieces) for on top of the door panel (the tabs on mine broke off, been holding off on putting them in until I get the doors "done")

Finally got my old motor finally on a stand. This winters project will be starting the tear down of it, and assembling parts for the next motor build (soon to be entering boost territory).

13 Ford Explorer (Wifes)
02 HD V-Rod (latest toy)
95 Acura Integra GSR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #450 of 464 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Few minor updates. As mentioned above, had the old stock motor thrown up on a stand, and have been chipping my way a few minutes here and there to get it broken down. I should have the block dropped off to a local machine shop early February. Am planning on getting them to clean, check, and hone everything for me, trying to keep it as close to stock as I can.

Snagged a clean transmission case, and have a shop that's working on transferring the internals, refurbishing what needs to be, and getting me to essentially a fresh GSR transmission.

I've been doing a lot of research, and still have a while to go before things will be installed. I'm waiting on the block to be done before I pursue the cylinder head. I'm on the fence whether I want to stick with the GSR head, or I have a B16 head in the garage. I have a Victor-X manifold for the B16 head, so keep leaning toward using it.

End goal, to be in the 350-400 whp range, hanging some sort of turbo off the front end. I'll be ditching the AC when I have the motor out next time, so should have plenty of real-estate to play with.

Stay tuned...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #451 of 464 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 05:24 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
End goal, to be in the 350-400 whp range, hanging some sort of turbo off the front end. I'll be ditching the AC when I have the motor out next time, so should have plenty of real-estate to play with.

Stay tuned...
w00t w00t!!
atkinsonar likes this.

post #452 of 464 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Dropped the Crank + Block off at a local machine shop just now over my lunch break. They're going to check everything out, jet wash, cylinder hone, micro polish the crank, and gauge everything out for me to make sure everything is copasetic before I jump further down the hole and start ordering new internals.

As far as rods and pistons go... is RealStreet about the best bargain out there these days? Looks like I'll be going after their Wiseco Pistons and Eagle Rods Combo unless someone can convince me otherwise. Only concern at the moment is with the pistons and clearance issues around the oil squirters.
post #453 of 464 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 05:50 PM
Site Founder/Administrator

Articles: 75
Garage
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BdFQFOjIQAEyj3W.png
Views:	91
Size:	365.7 KB
ID:	72674  
9TechNine9 and Jeffaome like this.

- Running Log, the trials and tribulations of building a car

echlonwarrior: "Hondabond saves lives"
K2sInteg98: "the best thing to do is keep spending and not keep count....lol"
dpaton: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions"
post #454 of 464 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsonar View Post
As far as rods and pistons go... is RealStreet about the best bargain out there these days? Looks like I'll be going after their Wiseco Pistons and Eagle Rods Combo unless someone can convince me otherwise. Only concern at the moment is with the pistons and clearance issues around the oil squirters.
Check out Summit Racing Equipment, I ordered my K1 Rods and Wiseco Pistons from them, I can't seem to find the rods any more though. They show long ship dates but mine arrived in two days

They also carry Eagle rods, quick price check:

Summit: $349.97 (free shipping)
Real Street: $374.00 don't know about shipping

K1 is $385.66 from Realstreet, my engine builder who built my short block recommends K1 over eagles, and if you look up the Wiseco piston sheet they pair their pistons with K1 rods... just food for thought.

http://www.wiseco.com/Catalogs/Sport...AcuraHonda.pdf

My build is an 84mm B18C1, using wiseco's and K1's and I blocked off my oil squirters using GE's kit.
atkinsonar and blandsarcasm like this.
post #455 of 464 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Pieces and parts are starting to trickle in.

Have decided on using the PR3 cylinder head. I've got an Edlebrock Victor-X manifold for it that I already had cleaned after which I re-coated in this link... Cleaned Up Manifold.

Biggest hold back for me considering using this head combination was two fold...
1) Thought it would be cool to refurb the original cylinder block and head from the car and re-use
2) The PR3 head was previously used in the B20-VTEC setup I acquired, so had the oil passage plugged

After kicking it around with some friends and shops around, I think using the PR3 will be a better suit for what I'm after. I'm in the process of stripping down the head now, and will soon be dropping it off with a friend of mine to get it jet washed, valve job, and he's going to hand port it for me to. He builds some serious 6-second drag bikes, and everything on this cylinder head is real close to what he machines on his bike motors. More to follow on this front....

Went to the machine shop today to check on the block status. Everything's cleaned and measured out. Good news is I don't have to worry about boring the cylinders at all, a fresh hone on the stock sleeves should turn out great. There were a few blocks ahead of mine, so I should hopefully have everything back in my hands Monday / Tuesday at the latest.

9TechNine9 likes this.
post #456 of 464 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Weather forecast is looking decent for the majority of the next two weeks, so figured I'd start tinkering with the door locks / windows / side molding. First order of business was sorting out my door lock problems. Both sides seemed to be binding pretty hard when trying to rotate the lock "knob" inside the car, when using the key on the outside, and you could hear things weren't "happy" when trying to use the power door locks. It was bad enough that the alarm wasn't locking / unlocking the doors.

After much poking and prodding, it seemed the "rotational" assembly that the rod from the door handle lock attaches to on both doors was just seized up enough to keep it from rotating freely. Shot it with some silicone based lubricant (I used a silicone based garage door spray and affixed a straw from some other can I had in the garage), and worked it repeatedly, mechanically things seem much happier now.

If you reference the pictures below, the "upper" rod in the first picture attaches to the door lock mechanism by the door handle. Trace it into the door... the two rods "cross over" each other... in the second picture, you can see where the same rod (now the lower one) attaches to the "rotating" assembly I mentioned. I pretty liberally sprayed the silicone grease here, and from the "outside" of the door near where the door "latching" mechanism is that catches when you close your door.

I guess on the drivers door there is some sort of mechanical interlock between the door latch assembly and the lock assembly, which prevents the door from locking when it isn't shut. This caused me to bash my head thinking the lock was stuck a whole lot worse than it actually was.

This exposed a "new" problem, and am in the process of tracing down. Okay, not really new, it's been there, but is another thing I'm now chasing... From the drivers door, I can lock and unlock from the switch all day long (). From the passenger door, only the "unlock" seems to work (). Seeing how the alarm effectively ties into the passenger door lock circuit, I'm not surprised that I'm seeing the same symptoms with the alarm system (can unlock, and it physically unlocks the doors, but the lock isn't triggering anything). On to locating some schematics and toning out wires .....

post #457 of 464 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Pretty sure I isolated my door lock problem down to my door lock control module.

Started off by removing the alarm trigger for the door lock... tested the signal out of the alarm, get a negative pulse like I'm supposed to.

Tested the black / red wire in the drivers kick panel where the alarm wire was connected, and noticed it was continuously grounded (bad). Went to the passenger door, to the same black / red wire at the switch, also continuously grounded (bad).

Removed the door lock control module from the drivers door... black / red wire is not continuously grounded. Re-tested at the passenger door and drivers kick panel with the module removed, no longer grounded. Had the wife toggle the passenger switch as I toned out the plug for the door lock control module, and everything toned out fine (so no breaks in wires or unnecessary grounds).

Have a buddy with an Integra that he's parked / is contemplating parting out, he's going to pull the module from his (same year body) to see if it cures my problem. Fingers crossed.
post #458 of 464 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Door lock electronic saga continues. Buddy brought his module over, it has the opposite problem. Unlock for the passenger trigger is grounded, lock for the passenger trigger works great. Re-tested both lock and unlock circuits, seem to test fine. Got another one en route from eBay. If nothing else, atleast his proved I don't have a wiring problem.

Started working on the new speaker mounts. The Pioneer TS-1730C speakers I have for the front are 6 3/4". Fortunately they came packaged with a pretty slick mounting plate that adapts to just about any needed footprint. I took the stock speaker mounts and shaved off the back "bucket" completely. I then shaved down the Pioneer included bracket, to include just the 6 1/2 to 6 3/4 adapter and spacer ring. I then applied a small layer of silicone, and mounted the Pioneer spacer to the stock mounting bracket. Combined, the speaker fits perfectly, is spaced out enough to avoid the window track, and clears the door panel.

I won't screw with the car tomorrow (Valentine's Day), so will likely resume on the window motors / regulators Wednesday, and start in on shaving the door molding by the weekend.

By the time all is said and done, the doors will be completely refurbished, at which point I will throw a layer or two of peel & seal as a cheap sound deadener (as I've done on just about the rest of the car), and button everything up.

TS-D1730C - 6" Component Speaker Package | Pioneer Electronics USA

Pioneer Bracket, in original form

Stock speaker mount, with the "bucket" shaved off

The two screwed together, with a layer of silicone in between
b18c5rjdm likes this.
post #459 of 464 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:03 AM

Garage
I'd sure like to upgrade my sound system one day. The speakers Honda put in there from the factory are worthless. I think I've turned it on about 5 times since I've had the car.

1990 CRX Si (Slingshot) not currently running
2008 Toyota Tundra 4X4 (Torque)
2008 Subaru Forester 2.5X (Tackle) daily driver/commute warrior
2005 Subaru WRB STi
2000 Integra Type R #685 (Redline)
post #460 of 464 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Received in another door lock control module from eBay today, same symptoms as the one my buddy brought over. Put up a WTB thread, hopefully I can get my hands on a good one here soon.

Got the window situation 100% done. Worked with my son through it start to finish, the regulator assembly coming out of the door tripped him out a bit (claimed it reminded him of some weapon from one of his games).

Followed this thread for the removal and replacement...

Arod's: Power window motor/regulator replacement DIY install for G3 2 door integra

Also, while I had the regulators out, first hit them with some carb cleaner to remove excess old grease. Then hit them with some hot mild soap water (dawn) and a small detail brush (like a stiff toothbrush) to help get the rails the rest of the way clean. I had a couple of burrs in the tracks that the components "roll in", didn't get a good picture, and hard to describe, but the assembly especially for the drivers door was "hanging up" in a couple of places. Little bit of work with a file, and was moving smooth again.

Used some CRC White Lithium grease from a spray can to over-lubricate the two rails, and hit any and every moving part of the regulator assembly.

Also following up from the window rattle write up...

Fix Window Rattle for G3 Coupe - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

I remember sometime way back, I found the rubber channel in the bottom of my door, thought to myself "I remember reading about this, let me go look that up"... well... somewhere along the line I misplaced this. For the drivers door, this channel is Part Number 72276-ST7-003. I ordered one through my local Acura dealer. Getting a "new one", they come packaged "flat". Had me scratching my head for quite a few nearly convinced I didn't order / receive the right part. Once I finally figured out I needed to "fold it over" to fit in the channel, everything started clicking.

Something that was impossible to get a clear picture of, but will explain via the two pictures of the "flat channel". There is one end that has approx. one inch of the side of the gasket "trimmed off". This "gap" is positioned to be toward the inner of the door, at the top, to get around the other channel gasket that comes down from the upper part of the window track. I had a heck of a time getting the new one to sneak in behind the existing one at the top. I ended up shaving just a hair more off of this (marked up in red below), which gave me just a bit more clearance when sliding this into the track. Glued in place with some 3M 08002 Yellow Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive, and left the window "down" to help hold in place for a few hours to ensure a good bond.

Once done with the above, I used some Liquid Wrench "Dry Lubricant" in the channels that the window actually slides in (including the newly installed channel). On the drivers door, I played with the position of the one "adjustable" regulator bolt that goes into the slot with the "notches" (will make sense if you read the regulator replacement article), which made a big difference in how smooth the window went up and down.

Everything's now awesome with the window and door lock mechanics!

Onto the next project... shaving the door moldings, applying sound deadener, then I can get the door panels / new speakers back in and call the doors done.

Removing the regulator

Motor replacement

One side of the new channel

Trimmed the channel highlighted in the red area

On to the door moldings
danteisme likes this.
post #461 of 464 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:55 PM

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
So you just replaced the motors and "serviced" the regulators? This was sort of my game plan when i get around to doing mine.

How are you going to shave the door mouldings? I was a little hesitant when i did mine, mainly because i hadnt seen a sedan like that yet, but i am glad that i did.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1996 DB8 Bought 2003--->Sold 2010--->Bought Back May 2014 Restoration in Process!!
post #462 of 464 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danteisme View Post
So you just replaced the motors and "serviced" the regulators? This was sort of my game plan when i get around to doing mine.

How are you going to shave the door mouldings? I was a little hesitant when i did mine, mainly because i hadnt seen a sedan like that yet, but i am glad that i did.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Spot on with the motors and regulators. I used Dorman replacements for the motors, which fit fine, just had to tweak the location of the zip-tied grommet for the wire lead a bit to get everything to fit right. I wasn't having too many problems on the passenger side. The drivers side I think cleaning the regulator, adjusting the one "slide" bolt for the regulator mount, and getting the proper channel guide in made just as much of a difference as replacing the motor itself.

Door moldings... I cut some small squares out of some thin sheet metal I picked up at Lowes... am going to use a metal epoxy to glue the squares to the door... Bondo 901 Plastic Metal to fill the majority of the gap, finished off with a few skim coats of Bondo 907 Glazing and Spot putty to smooth everything over... finished with a temporary coat of Color Match spray paint to cover the outside.

For the inside, once the glue sets, I'm going to spray each square with some sort of spray paint (I have all kinds of extra crap laying around, behind the door panel doesn't have to be pretty), and then they'll get covered with a layer of Peel & Seal (using it as a cheap sound deadener as I have in other areas of the car).

I'm loosely following the thread below. I just couldn't justify to myself dropping $100 on the panel bond adhesive / mixing tips / applicator tool for this small of a job that I doubt I'll ever repeat.

My Inexpensive DIY Shaved door moldings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page