Running Log - atkinsonar's GSR - Page 20 - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
 215Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #267 of 464 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via MSN to atkinsonar Send a message via Yahoo to atkinsonar
Pre-Dragon checklist complete... Now I wait
  • Took Apexi axleback to a friends house, and he fixed a shoddy weld job done on a coupler by a local muffler shop. Got that bolted up, and am enjoying the "sound of silence" (comparatively speaking).
  • Verified trailer lights are good. Got wheel chocks measured and bolted down to trailer, and picked up a spare tire and spare holder. Trailer is ready.
  • Sorted and organized my tools, so will be bringing one pretty comprehensive box, and a smaller tool bag that is saddlebag friendly, "just in case".
  • Just checked brake pads all the way around, they look good.
  • Got a small tote ready with extra fluids, I anticipate blowing through a few quarts of oil while we're down (my VTEC gets quite thirsty).
  • Spare Keurig + K-Cups boxed up and ready
  • Tunes loaded on phone, and got mount in place for it in the car. I'm hoping to try out the iOS Time Lapse as we drive around (no GoPro here).
  • Bike accessories and gear sorted / ready to load.

Going to give the car a good wipe down tomorrow, and we're going beer / bourbon shopping this weekend, so all that's left will be to ice down a cooler, load up and ship out.

steelmatt6 likes this.

13 Ford Explorer (Wifes)
02 HD V-Rod (latest toy)
95 Acura Integra GSR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #268 of 464 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 02:54 PM
Site Founder/Administrator

Articles: 76
Garage
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
You can borrow my GoPro if you want to catch a run on the Dragon
atkinsonar likes this.
post #269 of 464 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Within the last month or two we got an end cap side panel in from Sylvania, highlighting their new ZEVO LED lights. I've had my eye on them, but considering last year I spent right at $100 putting LEDs from DDM Tuning in all of my exterior bulbs, I wasn't too quick to get them. I broke down today, and got a pair for my reverse lights (1156), and a pair for my license plates (194). My employee discount knocked off a considerable chunk, so figured "why not".

The license plate bulbs are certainly brighter, I don't have a comparison for these, as never replaced them. I love the "clean white", esp on a white car, and the instant on/off that now match my parking lights (noticeable, atleast to me, when arming / disarming the car at night).

I had this bulb as my reverse prior to now. It was more of a projector style. While significantly brighter than stock, it kind of looked funny, as it threw a narrow bright beam through the lens. I'll throw them in the glovebox when I ride down to Dragon if anyone wants to have them (I'm not going to use them again). Its a night and day difference with the new bulbs, they fill the lense, optics are better, and significantly brighter (by a LOT).

Pictures are nearly impossible to take that do them justice, so I won't post what I have, but trust me, they're awesome

These must be pretty new to the market, as I'm not finding too many sources, and even the manufacturer's page doesn't list all of the bulbs I know we have on display and in stock.

post #270 of 464 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 12:33 AM

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Can you take pics of the reverse light output?
post #271 of 464 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmix View Post
Can you take pics of the reverse light output?

I'll snap a couple when it gets dark tonight. I tried last night and the pics didn't do it justice.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #272 of 464 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Here's a few pics of the bulbs themselves, along with a few different shots of the output. Again, really hard to capture, atleast with a camera phone.

No lights (during daytime)

Reverse lights (during daytime)

Video of me backing up (and showing the strobe flash I put on the spoiler)

Parking lights (no brake lights are on)

Reverse lights

Reverse lights

Store Endcap Panel

1156 (Reverse)

194 (License plate)
JDMJNKY and Jeffaome like this.
post #273 of 464 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 01:08 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
damn those things look pretty bright!
atkinsonar likes this.
post #274 of 464 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 01:53 PM

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Wow! Those are bright
post #275 of 464 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Got home from the Dragon trip this afternoon. I'll write more of a comprehensive summary once I get a chance to weed through pics and get some sleep.

I wanted to throw this issue out there for feedback, so I can narrow down my list of things to look at this week... Yesterday was an exciting day on the Skyway run, without diving into full on details, my car's temp gauge started acting real erratic, and the "heat" out of the vents was real erratic . Car has never previously had any sort of heat control problems.
  • We pulled over, let it cool, pumped it full of water, and it seemed good to go, holding a steady temp
  • Later on during the return drive, we noticed when we'd stop at over looks and shut the car off, that there was an awful lot of boil over / bubbling going on to the overflow reservoir, and would be "sucked back in" within a few minutes. Temp didn't seem to be heading north that we noticed.
  • Water we added was turning green (mixing with coolant). No noticeable hint of oil in coolant (it looks clean)
  • Oil looks good (not milky or funky)
  • Car was seemingly drinking coolant, but we didn't notice any abnormal (white) smoke out of the exhaust.
  • Get back to the cabins, and do a compression test with the car right at operating temp (bear in mind, car has 256k on the clock). Cyl 1 = 210, 2 = 220, 3 = 170, 4 = 210 (as close as I remember the numbers).
  • We bled the coolant and filled everything up with it running and maintaining temp for roughly half an hour
  • On my trip home today, I drove roughly two hours, including the Dragon and subsequent roads / highway at near interstate speeds, towing a bike. After roughly two hours, temp gauge and heat were again erratic. Pulled over, let it cool, added water, and noticed the bottom of my radiator cap was broken (metal ring and washer along with a thin piece of rubber had separated from cap). When adding water, and from what had boiled out, I noticed an abundance of a real fine metal "shimmer" in the coolant and around the cap of the overflow reservoir (from where coolant had boiled out)
  • Rode over to a nearby Advance, picked up a new cap, some more 50/50 mix, topped it off, and it rode fine, no temp fluctuations, with heat going (no fluctuation in heat), and made it home after another 3 1/2 hours at highway speed.
  • I checked over flow as soon as I got home (shut car off, opened hood, nearly in one fluid motion), over flow seemed higher than I remember filling it, no abnormal bubbles going on, no more new additions of the previously mentioned shimmer stuff. After cooling, didn't seem overflow level dropped by a noticeable amount. Coolant still looks clean, oil still looks clean.

I'm really hoping it was the result of a bad cap, coupled with altitude and a thin mixture of coolant. The shimmer stuff we noticed has me a bit concerned. We couldn't find any leaks anywhere.

I'm planning on draining and flushing the system this week with distilled water, replacing the thermostat, filing it back up with a known good mix, properly bleeding the system, and keeping a real close eye on things.

Any other input to the series of events above? Anything else I should take a look at? I'm hoping this motor can keep me running for another couple of months until I can get my swap 100% ready, and can coordinate some other activities while I have the car down. I'm not wanting to really dive too deep on the current block if I can avoid it.

FYI - I now have one hell of a farmers tan going on, only with my left arm. The sun was blazing today. Driving with heat full blast, windows down, sunroof open, my left arm got absolutely cooked going down the interstate today.
post #276 of 464 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 11:44 PM

Glad to hear you made it back man, let me know if you need a hand with it
post #277 of 464 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 11:53 PM

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsonar View Post
Got home from the Dragon trip this afternoon. I'll write more of a comprehensive summary once I get a chance to weed through pics and get some sleep.

I wanted to throw this issue out there for feedback, so I can narrow down my list of things to look at this week... Yesterday was an exciting day on the Skyway run, without diving into full on details, my car's temp gauge started acting real erratic, and the "heat" out of the vents was real erratic . Car has never previously had any sort of heat control problems.
  • We pulled over, let it cool, pumped it full of water, and it seemed good to go, holding a steady temp
  • Later on during the return drive, we noticed when we'd stop at over looks and shut the car off, that there was an awful lot of boil over / bubbling going on to the overflow reservoir, and would be "sucked back in" within a few minutes. Temp didn't seem to be heading north that we noticed.
  • Water we added was turning green (mixing with coolant). No noticeable hint of oil in coolant (it looks clean)
  • Oil looks good (not milky or funky)
  • Car was seemingly drinking coolant, but we didn't notice any abnormal (white) smoke out of the exhaust.
  • Get back to the cabins, and do a compression test with the car right at operating temp (bear in mind, car has 256k on the clock). Cyl 1 = 210, 2 = 220, 3 = 170, 4 = 210 (as close as I remember the numbers).
  • We bled the coolant and filled everything up with it running and maintaining temp for roughly half an hour
  • On my trip home today, I drove roughly two hours, including the Dragon and subsequent roads / highway at near interstate speeds, towing a bike. After roughly two hours, temp gauge and heat were again erratic. Pulled over, let it cool, added water, and noticed the bottom of my radiator cap was broken (metal ring and washer along with a thin piece of rubber had separated from cap). When adding water, and from what had boiled out, I noticed an abundance of a real fine metal "shimmer" in the coolant and around the cap of the overflow reservoir (from where coolant had boiled out)
  • Rode over to a nearby Advance, picked up a new cap, some more 50/50 mix, topped it off, and it rode fine, no temp fluctuations, with heat going (no fluctuation in heat), and made it home after another 3 1/2 hours at highway speed.
  • I checked over flow as soon as I got home (shut car off, opened hood, nearly in one fluid motion), over flow seemed higher than I remember filling it, no abnormal bubbles going on, no more new additions of the previously mentioned shimmer stuff. After cooling, didn't seem overflow level dropped by a noticeable amount. Coolant still looks clean, oil still looks clean.

I'm really hoping it was the result of a bad cap, coupled with altitude and a thin mixture of coolant. The shimmer stuff we noticed has me a bit concerned. We couldn't find any leaks anywhere.

I'm planning on draining and flushing the system this week with distilled water, replacing the thermostat, filing it back up with a known good mix, properly bleeding the system, and keeping a real close eye on things.

Any other input to the series of events above? Anything else I should take a look at? I'm hoping this motor can keep me running for another couple of months until I can get my swap 100% ready, and can coordinate some other activities while I have the car down. I'm not wanting to really dive too deep on the current block if I can avoid it.

FYI - I now have one hell of a farmers tan going on, only with my left arm. The sun was blazing today. Driving with heat full blast, windows down, sunroof open, my left arm got absolutely cooked going down the interstate today.
First off, it was great meeting you!

I can only go by my own experience, which was quite similar. My engine had very similar problems at the Dragon in 2012. It would boil over into the overflow, but would not lose any coolant. Don't forget, you had some crusty spark plugs as well. Long story short, we tried to fix every minor thing in the cooling system, but I still had issues. It ended up being a blown head gasket in which the exhaust gases were getting into the cooling system. I wasn't losing any coolant, it was just boiling over.

I really hope your problem is a simple fix, but it most likely sounds like a HG. If you remove your radiator cap again on a cold engine, warm up your engine, then give it a few good revs. If you have abnormal air bubbles, HG is most likely blown. My radiator cap in my car came apart not because it was the issues, but the built up system pressure from the blown HG blew the cap. Keep an eye on your cooling hoses, as if the system is building up pressure, they will swell, or be abnormally stiff when engine is warm.

We shall find the culprit!
bmarksb18 and atkinsonar like this.

My Running Log

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life" John 3:16(NIV)
post #278 of 464 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

I'm fearing the worst (head gasket), but hoping for the best (stupid cap). I need a couple of days to get the household caught up, and take care of some to-do's for the neighbors before the car will get any attention.

Two of my neighbors husbands do construction work, and are gone for 5-6 weeks at a time. That leaves me taking care of the yard work and "whatever goes wrong". A few things popped up while I was at Dragon, and yards are starting to look like a jungle.

Will be picking up fluid, thermostat, and this handy dandy funnel this week, so I can do a full flush and hope for the best.

@bmarksb18 - you're welcome to swing by at any point man, doesn't just have to be for car work. Sent you a PM.

Last edited by MorningZ; 08-03-2015 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Fixed link
post #279 of 464 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 02:26 PM
Site Founder/Administrator

Articles: 76
Garage
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Handy dandy funnel for the win !!
atkinsonar likes this.
post #280 of 464 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 02:47 PM

Garage
It was good to meet you Aaron! I'd flush the bejesus out of that thing before filling it up with 50/50. Just to know all the crap came out.
atkinsonar likes this.

1990 CRX Si FOR SALE: http://www.team-integra.net/forum/10...90-crx-si.html
2008 Subaru Forester 2.5X
2005 Subaru WRB STi
2000 Integra Type R #685

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page