Running Log - atkinsonar's GSR - Page 18 - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
 215Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #239 of 464 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via MSN to atkinsonar Send a message via Yahoo to atkinsonar
Made some progress this weekend

Before I dive in, I want to give this forum some much needed credit. Up until now, the extend of any upgrades I had done on previous cars was only the easy bolt-ons, brakes, etc., and other "simple" routine type maintenance work. Had it not been for the write-ups and advice here, and me maturing enough to be patient with the upgrades done so far, I wouldn't be anywhere close to where I am now. Thank you T-I!

This weekend I started (and completed) the dis-assembly of the P72 head I'm going to be using for the new motor setup. Got everything stripped down, so that I can get new valve seals in, get new Skunk2 LMAs in, get everything cleaned up a bit, so that I know where I stand when everything starts to go together.

Over the course of the next couple of nights, I'm going to Chem-Dip the valves, get them cleaned up a hair before I throw everything back together, and get the rest of the head put back together.

I'm going to preface the pics with a few things. My wife is a self-proclaimed "office supply junky". I asked for her input (and assistance) getting "something" setup to keep these parts organized. Long story short, yesterday while I was at work, she went shopping, and then once I got back, got everything taped, labeled, threw some gloves on, and got to catching parts as I was taking them out. Yes, she's awesome, lol. Overkill? Certainly. But hey, she helped, had fun, learned a bit, and there's no doubt about what came from where,

Getting setup...

Parts hitting the table...

Everything bagged up...

Stripped down head...

13 Ford Explorer (Wifes)
02 HD V-Rod (latest toy)
95 Acura Integra GSR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #240 of 464 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 07:52 AM
Site Founder/Administrator

Articles: 76
Garage
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsonar View Post
Before I dive in, I want to give this forum some much needed credit. Up until now, the extend of any upgrades I had done on previous cars was only the easy bolt-ons, brakes, etc., and other "simple" routine type maintenance work. Had it not been for the write-ups and advice here, and me maturing enough to be patient with the upgrades done so far, I wouldn't be anywhere close to where I am now. Thank you T-I!
That is a great testimonial... and the whole reason why this site was started and runs !

Quote:
Over the course of the next couple of nights, I'm going to Chem-Dip the valves, get them cleaned up a hair before I throw everything back together, and get the rest of the head put back together.
Just to share some personal experience with Chem-Dip: it didn't really work for me... ended up using a Dremel with one of the soft metal attachments on it and that worked great
post #241 of 464 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 08:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Need to get...
Valve Cover Gasket Set

Find part #, search on eBay.. you'll get an OEM one at a great price

Water Pump & Timing Belt Kit

I picked mine up off of eBay for ~ $80 and it was Gates and GMB parts, good quality stuff

Skunk2 LMAs

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DHGM7J6

Fuel Pump

Supposedly Walbro has let their quality slip over the past few years, just keep that in mind

Mishimoto Radiator (already have fan shroud on car)

Generally regarded as a bad choice for radiators from what i've seen....

Cam & Distributor seals

Don't forget to get the two VTEC solenoid seals as well

Oil Pan Gasket

*if* you can swing the extra cost, MyHondaHabit sells an amazing oil pan gasket (and it comes with all new studs and nuts)

Is there anything else from this list I'm overlooking?

A list of some other seals to get
atkinsonar likes this.

post #242 of 464 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Found a few nice surprises to help me along. I knew the Block + Head that I acquired had "some goodies" installed, but until last night I hadn't opened the head up. Last night I removed the Head from the Block, so I could take a look at the pistons and steal the inner valve springs to put in the exhaust side. I went back to the notes and messages back/forth with the original seller, and am able to confirm a few things...

Supertech dual valve springs + retainers, that look nearly brand new. Will now be swapping all of the springs + retainers over to the GSR Head

I previously thought that I had CTR cams in the B16 head. After reviewing notes, and taking a close look at pictures and references on the web, it does appear I have legitimate ITR cams.

Last night I got the intake valves all cleaned up, and will do the same for the exhaust valves tonight. I have an early release tomorrow (Thursday) and have Friday off, so am hopeful by the end of Friday I'll have the head all buttoned up.

Between @MorningZ 's list above, a running list I've been compiling, and other things I'm looking for, I'll be making "what should be" (famous last words) my last order Friday for all of the remaining open items to get this slapped together.
dpaton likes this.
post #243 of 464 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 10:46 AM

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Id look into a deustchwerks fuel pump if you dont want a walbro
post #244 of 464 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 01:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
I'll be making "what should be" (famous last words) my last order Friday for all of the remaining open items to get this slapped together.

Good luck with that lol

atkinsonar likes this.
post #245 of 464 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

More progress. Got the head cleaned up, valves cleaned up, new Supertech valve seals & Skunk2 LMAs in, transplanted the Supertech dual valve springs & retainers over, and rocker assemblies back in. Depending on how the rest of my honey do list goes tomorrow, I should have enough time to get the head bolted down to the block (yes, with ARP studs), and rock on with the progress.

MorningZ and dpaton like this.
post #246 of 464 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Woke up this morning, and it happened to be one of those perfect days to detail a vehicle... 70's and completely overcast. I really hadn't given the car much attention since I got the seats and back end redone, and it was long over due. Full interior and exterior detail, rain-x applied to all exterior glass, fresh coat of wax, all completed just in time for it to start raining. She's not looking too bad for a 20 year old car with the original paint. Had to take a close-up, I love how a rain beads up on a fresh wax.

Sigh, now back to that honey do list that I fell even further behind on.

post #247 of 464 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 09:04 PM

Garage
Shiny!
post #248 of 464 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Another small but worthwhile update, today got the alignment completed, and both sets of tires re-balanced. Couldn't clear adhered wheel weights with the new calipers (a problem I am perfectly ok with). Looking forward to Dragon

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #249 of 464 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 09:42 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
just spent some time catching up on this thread and ive gotta say im seriously impressed with the dedication and work youve put into your teg! you have a clean one and its nice to see youre taking care of it. it looks like you scored with the internals on that spare head you purchased! Im currently working on a stock rebuild for my gsr motor and ive been debating on going with a full supertech valvetrain while i have it all apart. Ill be watching your progress
atkinsonar likes this.
post #250 of 464 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Had a buddy of mine come over yesterday, who also owns a Teg, and got some work done on his yesterday. I'm trying to get him to sign up here and get a bit more involved. He's got a stock B18C, running roughly 8lbs of boost, that is now calling its 3rd shell home. Had a laundry list of things we knocked out yesterday, including
  • Installed a full 3" Thermal Exhaust
  • Replaced stock cam gears with adjustable
  • Reset timing belt and engine timing
  • Replaced upper charge pipe and BOV (went from a knock off to genuine HKS)
  • Swapped valve cover with one that I had with cut outs
  • Fixed an electrical issue he had with his drivers side headlight
  • Quite a few other odd / end things we found that weren't 100% right

For mine, new golden eagle dowel pins showed up yesterday. I didn't feel comfortable using the pins that were in the old setup, as looks like they bored out the holes in the B16 head to be able to use stock pins. I'm waiting on a plug to show up to seal up the oil galley in the bottom of the new head, that looks like it'll be in tomorrow (couldn't extract the one from the old head without stripping it). Once that shows up, I'll be able to get the head set on the block, and continue on.

Work schedule looks insane from now until the Dragon, so doubt I'll make too much more progress with it until we get back.

Only got one pic, but is better than nothing.
Jeffaome and dudeskee1325 like this.
post #251 of 464 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 04:01 PM

Garage
It's funny that i read your post above before I saw your PM and thought: "i wonder if he kept the EuroX stuff long enough to do this car?"... guess so! lol
post #252 of 464 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningZ View Post
It's funny that i read your post above before I saw your PM and thought: "i wonder if he kept the EuroX stuff long enough to do this car?"... guess so! lol
Yep, exactly, cam gear holder is like magic man. This guys car was the delay of a day or two in getting it shipped back. Using it yesterday was enough to convince me that I need to be ordering one in the next few days. Similarly, after using the spring compressor, he and I are now talking of getting one for our other future rebuild plans. He's got two running tegs, and a spare LS motor, and I'll soon have a motor coming out of mine to start tweaking on. It never ends...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page